Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KevinDelMarr

03-10-2014

I just made a thread about this:

Why does it take so long to find four random people?

I'm in the party search as Captain because I really wanted to play Corki ADC. Since the wait time was "long" I thought it would be faster to be Captain, pick Corki, then have the other 4 slots as normal lanes for any type of Champion. Apparently it takes 5 or more minutes to find at least one person for each role despite them being simple criteria

I really hope the final version is more steamlined and faster. It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to find 4 people who just want to play a certain role with whatever they want. I don't think I could've been more lenient on my preferences, maybe the game expects you to be super precise atm.

Kixthran

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2014

I think it has potential if it is redesigned. It would be an exciting addition. Here are my thoughts:

1.) Allow more flexibility in champion selection (ie maybe top 3 or 5 choices, or maybe able to change champs as you get into the teambuilding process somehow)

2.) Allow teambuilding leaders/captains to adjust the lanes and roles they are looking for on the fly

3.) I don't know what the ratio of team captains to solo players is, but there seems to be no incentive to be a solo player currently. The system should probably be in charge of assigning solo or captain roles based on the current needs, otherwise there is likely to be tons of captains with no teammates.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps

aretta

03-10-2014

My experience with team builder so far has been nothing short of fantastic. Everyone's attitude going into a match is so much different than blind pick normals, and it absolutely carries straight into the game. You've done some excellent work with this new game type. I'm honestly shocked at just how much this has cleared up the usual negative atmosphere in a given game. For the first time ever I've been able to queue up with strangers and feel like we're truly a team.

DeathMasterXMC

Recruiter

03-10-2014

I think Team Builder is one of the best ideas Roit has had. It makes it so teams can get along better and you can have more fun not always getting a role you stink at or just don't like.

DeathMasterXMC

Recruiter

03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDelMarr View Post
I just made a thread about this:

Why does it take so long to find four random people?

I'm in the party search as Captain because I really wanted to play Corki ADC. Since the wait time was "long" I thought it would be faster to be Captain, pick Corki, then have the other 4 slots as normal lanes for any type of Champion. Apparently it takes 5 or more minutes to find at least one person for each role despite them being simple criteria

I really hope the final version is more steamlined and faster. It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to find 4 people who just want to play a certain role with whatever they want. I don't think I could've been more lenient on my preferences, maybe the game expects you to be super precise atm.
Its still new, im sure Roit with work on fixing and bugs and time problems if they ke

otterskull

03-10-2014

I've had like the best experience playing with team builder. All the games I've played have been with awesome people who had excellent teamwork and a positive attitude going in and coming out of the game. Even if it does take a long time to get everyone on your team, it is so worth it. You get the spot you want and so does everyone else!! It really makes me want to play normals more often and recommend League to my friends.

Thank you Riot!! Please keep this!!

DeannaFancy

03-10-2014

This is awesome Riot, keep up the great work and please make this a permanent option!

NinjaC

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Hey everyone,

Make sure to thank the following Rioters for their help in getting Team Builder this far! Itís been my honor to work with these Rioters on this project.

btab, ceciliaicy, davin, DoctahWayne, Drevarius, Fr3nchT0ast, Goggalor, MissMechaZero, RiotBahamut, RiotBlackrook, RiotComplex, RiotExLibris, RiotId, RiotJayway, RiotLobster, RiotLulu, RiotMartlet, RiotNeuroCat, RiotNoyz, RiotSeb, RiotTantram, RiotWorldPeace, Ryedan, scezumin, statuskwoh, stochasticmx, VonBurgermeister, Yegg and Yupster.

Thank Rioters best idea so far and the execution has been flawless got me back to play this game now even withe ddos and servers problems

mcnabulous

03-10-2014

Being able to pick your role first is nice, but it feels like the 'team building' part of it is holding it back. I'd rather just pick whatever role I want and let the matchmaking system find the other roles automatically. I'm sure some people will troll by picking support or jungle, then ignoring that and playing mid, but they'll be reported like every other troll.

noooooooo

03-10-2014

So, I just queued up and for giggles I made my role mid mage, and the rest of the roles for party building mid mage.

I got 4 other brave souls and we played mid, 2 of them split off to top and bottom because the comp we got paired with was a standard meta.

We won under 20 minutes with a legendary katarina to boot.

So is this team builder supposed to just build teams, not match comps? Can you do your 5 top tanks and get put up against a comp that just wants to play meta and then have a less than ideal game? I guess it sets you up to see how your comp fares against meta, or meta fairs against whatever crazy strat you got going.