Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tehsideburns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2014

Love, love, love this mode so far. Wanted to play a couple games as Singed Tank on Top, and got to do just that. Won each game with 30+ assists, zero in-fighting, zero toxic interactions, and zero stress over the timer ticking down while 3 players want mid and nobody wants to jungle.

Please make this a permanent replacement for double-blind pick, and leave draft for ranked.

I agree with some posts saying it would be nice to swap champs after finding your team, but honestly I think it's just fine how it is; you can always leave and jump into a new room if you don't love your team comp.

Thanks for continuing to improve the player experience. I recently started playing LoL again after a 2-year hiatus, and Team Builder makes me happy to be back.

Sassarri

03-10-2014

Team Builder for ranked should just be picking our roles. There's been many times where I've been matched up with three people wanting to ADC and no one wanting jungle or support.

blobz56

03-10-2014

I know this is not really a problem caused by you but it seems to me that que's are a decent speed up until the point where you need a jungler. Other than that I am loving the Team Builder.

TheRoadstar

03-10-2014

Both teams can have the same champ, which is one of the problems I have with it. I understand that this was put in place to speed up queue times, but I personally do not enjoy this style of gameplay. I would much prefer that a champion can only be on one team.

Another problem I saw while watching my friend play a match of this is that the matchmaking was very poor. My friend is a fairly experienced player. However, all of her teammates except for one seemed to be very inexperienced at the game. Again, I think this is because of queue times. I'm assuming that as more and more time passes the matchmaking system because less and less picky about who can play with whom. In the game I watched, it was over 20 minutes before a game actually took place. The rest of the time was spent matchmaking.

Unfortunately, because of the problems I described, I have no use for this game mode in its current form. Thanks for listening.

Angrywhiteshoes

03-10-2014

Granted, I spent an eternity in match making today and never actually got into a match with this system (quit and played normal).

When building a team, lets say people queue as individuals with Talon as Mid, Trist as ADC, Darius as Top, J4 as jungle and any tank/support.

Will the match making take into account that Talon, Trist, Darius and J4 are all AD and not match them together? Or will they be stuck in an all AD team?

I think one of the highlights of the current system is that you can communicate and say, Talon is in Mid, you can ask Darius to play an AP top and J4 to play an AP jungle to balance the damage. Or convince Talon to play an AP mid.

Balancing the team is one of the most important aspects of the match making in my opinion.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-10-2014
34 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExaltedVanguard View Post
BUG REPORT:
I found a group, didn't like it, and hit join a different group. I continued to hear the "clicking" of people typing in chat, and my window would flash despite no longer being part of the group.
Thanks for the note, we'll take a look at this.

Lyte

03-10-2014
35 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WafflesTheEpic View Post
"Team Builder is a new queue where you can queue up for a specific champion, position and role. After letting the system know what you want to play, you can build your own balanced team or join an existing one where everyone's bought in on where they're going and what they're playing."

So lets say I want to play something in a role that isn't normal for it; like if I wanted to try Urgot mid ,or something like that, will I not get a team because people wont go outside the meta? Or will people just kick me from the builder, or will I be forced by host to play something else?
The easiest way to try a creative champion-role or team composition is to queue as a Captain and propose your own team comp. However, if you want to, you can still queue up as a Solo player with something like Urgot-Mid. It might take a bit longer to get a team to accept you, but when a team does you can have confidence that the team has OK'd your spec already and is happy to play with your Urgot-Mid.

Lyte

03-10-2014
36 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneegrowdahmuzz View Post
I also just logged in and Summers Rift 5v5..... nope its not there right up top on my client. Is there any rioters out there on this thread that know of a solution?
The Live Beta is currently live on the NA servers, so you don't need to use the PBE NA client to access Team Builder. Just patch up to the regular NA servers and find Team Builder under Normal 5x5.

sonicxsam3

03-10-2014

I think this will be interesting and hopefully a way to improve the community.

raisedtorule

03-10-2014

RIOT I THINK I LOVE YOU <3 <3 this may quite possibly be the best thing you have ever done, probably not but it ranks up there. i have played 2 games and i am sad i will only have the chance to play maybe 2-3 more before it ends but i love this. aside from avoiding role arguments, this gives the players the power to play what they want. no more "i HOPE i get to play top so i can play/practice trundle" or "hope i get to play vi jungle", i click on team builder and i can, its so simple. i was kinda sad that there would be no magma chamber/showdown, not that i was great 1v1 player, but that i could practice it as much as i want, it was the perfect solo lane practice mode, albeit some odd matchups once in a while, i was sad to see it go because it was a free ticket to play top/mid lane. team builder does just that, but adds a team and a late-game. I would love to have this in ranked solo queue but i feel it could make some matchmaking problems, for example, someone who is great adc, could have a gold rank from playing adc but once put on something else be clueless, they would never have to play anything else with this system, which would make it enjoyable, but it almost isnt a ranked thing. i still hope you make it for ranked although it could cause some League ranking descrepencies. i sincerely hope you read this and it gives further concentive to keep this system and give it out as soon as possible. i have heard some good suggestions for improvements, give the captain more power is the base. all the captains do is click accept or decline, then start the game, there are 2 good suggestions i got during my 2nd game, 1) give the captain the ability to give a player invite capabiltys, waiting 5 minutes and a spot never got filled? one of your players has a friend who would love to join, its like a draft/blind team lobby. 2) still and always, captain makes final decision, but give players the option to change a champion, have a yasuo mid and your top picked nasus but he would like to make a combo with wukong, if the player who wants to change and the captain agree, let them change to that champion, it would help to make "wombo-combos" and team compositions instead of being stuck with that comp unless you kick someone out. I know this is just the test and you will probably do these things anyways, just trying to help, i reallllllly love this system. +1000 Rito