Splash Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Radyor

03-08-2014

Are we here to just talk about splashes or is RIOT interested in user submissions? I have been interested in art my whole life and I really dig looking at the different characters splash art. (I really hope we're referring to the art during game loading).

That being said, I admit I dont play nidalee but Pharoh Nidalee splash art needs to be redone. It doesnt seem at all in line with her other artwork and overall looks rather juvenile and rushed. It really bothers me. I dont know why but it does. Anyway that's why I ask if RIOT considers user submissions on this subject. It's not so much that I want to change it, rather just clean it up and mmake it pop a little more like the other art you all have done.

MajinNecro69

03-10-2014

I don't know if this falls under this question, but who did the team builder splash (with Lux, Ezreal, Leona, Teemo and Lee Sin)? It's fantastic work.

Riot JxE

Technical Artist

03-11-2014
4 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinNecro69 View Post
I don't know if this falls under this question, but who did the team builder splash (with Lux, Ezreal, Leona, Teemo and Lee Sin)? It's fantastic work.
It's one of our newest artists Su-Ke http://su-ke.deviantart.com/

Mr Prochainezo

03-11-2014

Trundle, he really needs some splash updates. I'd take Splash updates to a new skin even.

Master Sheik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2014

^ Trundle skins needs some splash updates.

H0tFoxy

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS Spoderman View Post
Maokai is made of wax crayons Rito plz
LOLOLOL ROFL im on the floor I was just thinking the same thing like really sion maokai look like a two year old made them with crayons

zWereWolfz

03-12-2014

junkyard trundle

lil slugger trundle

will those be fixed anytime soon ?

HookedOnKronix

03-13-2014

In my opinion, "bad" splash art that is in need of a rework are primarily the skins that stand out in a crowd of 10 on the loading screen. Quite possibly the worst artwork in the game that really stands out from all others is the Snow Bunny Nidalee skin. Every time I see this splash art in the loading screen I cringe. I am no artist and really have no basis to critique artwork, but this skin drastically stands out from all others on the loading screen. It looks like a different color pallet was used, the splash art is pale and lacks contrast that most other art in the game has by default. This may have been done on purpose with the theme of pale winter colors but Snowstorm Sivir completely personifies what I'd like to see in splash art. Some people may like it but I've heard plenty of others with similar opinions to mine.

Another work of splash art that I believe falls short of the actual in-game skin is Sorceress Lux. This is another work of splash art that I think stands out on the loading screen, it's just awkward looking. Lux is my favorite champion to play and I think Sorceress Lux is the "best" Lux skin in-game (it fits her personality and appeal) but the splash art just doesn't do it justice. On a completely off topic note on Lux skins - Why is Lux so militarized? 3 skins directly relating to Demacian military themes (commando - imperial - steel legion) and her Spellthief skin makes her look like she is some type of assassin (that showers people in rainbows?)

SgtPepperjack

03-13-2014

@ HookedOnKronix, Lux has a number of military-themed skins because in the lore, she worked as a covert operative for the Demacian military, conducting espionage against the Noxian military. She eventually abandons the military life in order to join the League.

Some splashes that could use a rework, in my opinion, include Sun Goddess Karma, Exiled Morgana, Warrior Princess Sivir, Deadly Kennen, Glacial and Forsaken Olaf, and all of Nidalee's old skins.

Also want to give a shoutout to the artist who did the classic Vel'Koz art; the perspective used is just perfect and makes the picture so awesome and intimidating. Epic splash!

Amy Khal

03-14-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepperjack View Post
@ HookedOnKronix, Lux has a number of military-themed skins because in the lore, she worked as a covert operative for the Demacian military, conducting espionage against the Noxian military. She eventually abandons the military life in order to join the League.

Some splashes that could use a rework, in my opinion, include Sun Goddess Karma, Exiled Morgana, Warrior Princess Sivir, Deadly Kennen, Glacial and Forsaken Olaf, and all of Nidalee's old skins.

Also want to give a shoutout to the artist who did the classic Vel'Koz art; the perspective used is just perfect and makes the picture so awesome and intimidating. Epic splash!
More the reason NOT to give her ONLY military skins. I don't know what went through Riot's mind when they made all those skins. On topic, I really love the Team Builder art ! Must be more because I'm really biased but w/e.