Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AndThePigGoesMoo

03-10-2014

Amazing work to all the Rioters who've worked on this. I absolutely love the feature and want it to become permanent as soon as possible.

2 main features I'd like to see added to this:
The ability to search for several roles for a specific slot on your team.

For example, I queue with 2 friends and we have mid lane and 2 bot lane. We want 2 tanks, 2 fighters, or 1 of each for top and jungle but we don't care what goes where. Give us the choice to search Toplane: Tank and Toplane: Fighter with the same for jungle.

Another idea, is to allow us to update our search requests as the team is being formed.

For example, if we want to ensure we have an AP dmg dealer on our team but don't care whether is someone like Diana top or a burst Mage mid we can search for both lanes and update our search as we fill the team.

brokr

03-10-2014

I love the concept of Team Builder, but the biggest flaw I see in it is forcing the player to select a champion. It can't be implemented into ranked play unless it's changed to allow each player to choose a role without selecting a champion.

I do however recognize that Team Builder (in its current state) seems to cater more to people wanting to play normal games, without having to worry about arguments, insta-locking, and pick order in draft mode. This is a very good thing (especially for those who want to get into a game with their favorite champion quickly), but I still think that forcing each player to chose a specific champion could be irritating, especially for people who like to break the meta and play a champion in a role that most wouldn't necessarily agree with. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, especially if the player is confident or skilled enough.

I would also very much suggest that a "fill" option be implemented, so that players who don't have a specific role or champion in mind when entering queues (much like myself) can choose a champion based around the rest of the team's picks. Part of the reason why I tend to not call a role in my ranked games is because I'd rather avoid arguing over a position, which can lead to all sorts of toxic play and language if something goes wrong.

superhobbit09

03-10-2014

So Riot can counterpick you?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-10-2014
32 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaostothemax View Post
In the picture, the Diamond player is shown as having ~1750 normal wins. He definitely plays normals fairly often.
Look at his teammates. There's too many factors about matchmaking that could have contributed to that game, including maybe the Diamond player duo-queued with someone much lower in skill; or, the players were sitting in queue for awhile so the matchmaking decided to find the closest match given what it had to work with.

Sesshru

03-10-2014

it would help this system greatly, if you guys added in something that showed que'd up numbers, like

x amount of mid
x amount of top laners
x amount of junglers

and so on
then people may choose a different role to get in game quicker depending on what's needed

or maybe some incentive reason to play a role they don't want to, like a small ip boost, or something, small discount on their next champion purchase or something

koulf

03-10-2014

hey, i really love team builder so far! however, there's just one thing i hope for when it finally gets out of beta. that's the ability for team builder wins and stats to count towards your normal stats on your profile. but that's really it, great job on the team builder riot! :0

skytheasianer

03-10-2014

team biulder is way too long

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-10-2014
33 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshru View Post
it would help this system greatly, if you guys added in something that showed que'd up numbers, like

x amount of mid
x amount of top laners
x amount of junglers

and so on
then people may choose a different role to get in game quicker depending on what's needed

or maybe some incentive reason to play a role they don't want to, like a small ip boost, or something, small discount on their next champion purchase or something
We've made a few predictive models to simulate how often players will play each role, but we're collecting Live Beta specifically to help inform decisions about role balance. In prior testing, role balance was pretty good but there was a high demand for Junglers, and then Supports. If this issue persists, we have a few ideas in mind that could smooth out role balance.

Darkrider83

03-10-2014

The only problem I found with this is the fact that someone may do something stupid like an ADC top and get destroyed, unless theyre good. Bu tother than that its a good concept needs a couple tweak like waiting time and such.

BigBoyBatty

03-10-2014

not enough people do this takes 30 minutes to find a game