Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sydonay

03-10-2014

I see now!!! everyones insta locking top so guys just pick support like fizz or something fun and you can get in like 10 secs I got it in 3 its not no plp are playing team builder its that to many plp are playing top and what not.

Thoroniul

03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
The current version of Team Builder focuses on champion select, and not on drafting or counterpicking. Given that those are critical to the strategy of competitive game modes, we aren't sure how Team Builder will work in Ranked modes just yet but it's something we're thinking about.

I think the best implementation of this into ranked is that people choose 1 or 2 roles they would like to play and maybe a list of 3-5 champs they would prefer to play. The lobby where everyone is can be used to pick the best team synergy and how they are going to do the draft pick order.

BlueBunny

03-10-2014

Waited 15 minutes and nobody wants to Adc or support. The idea is great but the wait for filling of the roles is long. Quite good and bad.

skytheasianer

03-10-2014

Teemo time e=all the way

Fugglenuts

03-10-2014

I have been waiting forever for something like this to come. I have always wanted to try and spam one champion to try and learn it but that is an unreasonable expectation in normal blind pick. So far I love team-builders environment of everyone is getting what they want to play so they are less irritated over getting a role they don't like.

I can't wait for this to be a permanent choice for queuing up!

Estellese 7

03-10-2014

I like it so far, but there is one main thing I think needs to be tweaked. Once you choose a champ/role you can not switch to another one. I think you should at the very least be able to switch champions, if not switch roles too (Or lock in multiple roles and be able to swap between the ones you locked in with). And this is why.

When I was playing earlier, I wanted to practice ADC a bit. My main ADCs are Ashe, Cait, Tristana, Jinx. Now, I locked in Ashe since that's my favorite and searched for a team. When I found a team, I immediately noticed that nobody on the team could peel for me. Which means my choice of Ashe was a bad choice for this team, and I really should play Tristana instead. I wanted to switch to Tristana, but quickly found that I could not change champions now.

Another situation, we had all the roles filled except support. It was taking forever to find a support, so I decided to just switch to support under the assumption that we could find another ADC sooner then we'd find a support. But quickly found that I could not take the empty role.

I think the ability to change champions/roles before clicking ready would be a good idea. But, to stop people from abusing this and locking in one role just to get faster que times and switch later, make it so you can only switch to a role if there is nobody else filling that role. (I.E. If you are locked in as support and ADC is open, you can switch to ADC. But if you already have a renekton top, you can not switch to top.)

And the ability to switch champions probably would not be abused, but if it is a problem a simple vote could be put in place. If a player tries to switch champs after finding a team, the rest of the people on the team vote to agree/disagree if that person should change (And it would tell them what champ the person is switching to). Thus, promoting communication if someone decided to switch to a champ that better suits the team, or if someone agrees to fill a different role then what they originally queued in for.

Erberor

03-10-2014

I really like the system. Well executed and quite effective, at least in my own experience. What I would like to see is the option to select a secondary role.

FifthOfNovember

03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murxx View Post
I don't understand why champion is relevant to team builder? Why not just lanes or roles?
i one hundred percent agree. I dont understand why i cant just pick the lane i want. team comp being changeable is op

Fengarii

03-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murxx View Post
I don't understand why champion is relevant to team builder? Why not just lanes or roles?
'cause Urgot supp just wont fly

davin

Senior User Researcher

03-10-2014
26 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugglenuts View Post
I have been waiting forever for something like this to come. I have always wanted to try and spam one champion to try and learn it but that is an unreasonable expectation in normal blind pick. So far I love team-builders environment of everyone is getting what they want to play so they are less irritated over getting a role they don't like. I can't wait for this to be a permanent choice for queuing up!
In the future, we'll also be testing MMR adjustments for roles and champions, to make it easier to try out new things. For example, I don't play Marksman champs a lot, so I'd get an adjusted rating to make up for how bad I am at it It's not live yet, but we hope to get to test it after the Live Beta (Live Beta is helping us get data for this).