@Riot: Progress Report on Gangplank

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cya later Nerds

03-08-2014

i just want a fix , that when he's casting a spell he doesn't have a short stop before cast, but other than that i agree with @op

Basic Payne

03-08-2014

I love Gangplank as a character, but his passive should scale off his total AD (A ratio like .2/.3/.4, etc) that scales up with levels so it feels impactful as something more than a minor slow.

I REALLY love his Ult, its a defining aspect on him in my opinion, and it deals respectable damage, but it sometimes seems unresponsive when an enemy can walk through the entire thing without getting hit by a damage/slow from it.

His W is really strong, and Im not sure removing the cost would be a good thing, because it would mean free sustain, but perhaps a % current health cost so that it could be used while oom, but mainly as something to remove cc.

His E is really nice but feels weak, so I personally take one point in it and max it last.

His Q is a defining aspect, not sure what changes could be made to it.

Yankin Deez

03-08-2014

Don't ask Riot to touch him. We all know what happens whenever Riot touches fun champions..

(Shaco, Irelia, Urgot, Lee Sin, TF...)

Serenity Now

03-08-2014

I hated the last re-make into yet another bruiser.

Investing in a full rune-page of crit-chance, and rushing Haunting Guise. That's the last time I can remember having fun playing him.

Monsieur Bane

03-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot GMang View Post
If you have thoughts on him, I’d love to hear them! What excites you about Gangplank, and what bores you? What frustrates, and what satisfies? What is he overdoing, and what is he missing? Inquiring minds want to know!
Gangplank is definitely one of the more boring champions to play against. When he was strong, there were 3 things that could happen: he will shoot you when his Q is off CD and sometimes it hurts more than others; he will run at you when he gets an advantage and slow you forever so you cant get away; or he will run away from you when you get an advantage and nullify any CC you lay down.

Certainly what I just said can describe several champions, but combined with these boring mechanics, in game it's visually as bland.

GG Crono

03-08-2014

I really like the gold-hoarding gameplay that GP has. He's a mighty pirate and he wants his booty! And I love being able to stack all sorts of fun on-hit effects, like Tiamat and Triforce, to juice up his Parrrley.

Dandic

03-08-2014

Well, I love the idea of GP getting remade. GP was my favorite champion when I first started playing this game back in the beta stages. My personal changes for GP would go as follows:

Passive: Change nothing
Q - change nothing
W - same effect as before except have the heal amount scale well with crit chance, this would bring back more critplanks oriented builds that most players love about gp without making him too easy to kill.

E - same effect as before but add a feature that when this buff is active it makes his auto attacks ranged for the time of the buff(kind of like kayle E) also have these ranged autos able to apply his passive. IMO this would make him more of a formidable top laner which is where he belongs. He will have the option to range harrass more and cs when he is low on hp or getting bullied or w/e the case may be.

R - I think over the years and even through the last remake was the main thing that is lacking. The ult Idea in theory is awesome. However it is very weak. A flash or dash/jump ability easily negates it when it doesnt even do that much damage in general compared to a lot of other champs. Regardless if its global the size of it is a small area and the damage is minimal and easily avoidable.
I would say make this ability rain in cannon balls across the entire map. Thats right cannon balls covering the entire rift for a few seconds. Sounds OP but it really wouldnt be karthus ult still would do more damage in comparison. Plus lets be real a pirate should be able to destroy a summoners rift sized place with his ship...come on now.

Changes like these sohld make him more fun and still keep Gp's core strengths in tact. Let me know what you guys think.

MrSc0tty

03-08-2014

Quote:
Hey all! Nice to see interest, thanks for bringing this up. I’ve been a bit of a lurker when it comes to forums—apologies for being so quiet about it!

Work on Gangplank is still in its formative stages. Gangplank is a cool character with some unique mechanical hooks in his identity, and I don’t want to rush him; currently, he has no timeline—more of a “when he’s ready” kind of situation. Right now, we’re analyzing and prototyping so we can formalize the right plan.

If you have thoughts on him, I’d love to hear them! What excites you about Gangplank, and what bores you? What frustrates, and what satisfies? What is he overdoing, and what is he missing? Inquiring minds want to know!
Oranges is a unique mechanic, the ult is great. Other than that he's quite bland.

Morale boost needs to be removed entirely and replaced, it's just a silly move. I would rather parrley be changed into something more like Jinx's Switcheroo, making plank a melee/ranged champion. The passive on his cutlass can be moved to Parrley and he can be given a new passive and new move in place of boost morale.

Calibretto9

03-08-2014

Quote:
Hey all! Nice to see interest, thanks for bringing this up. I’ve been a bit of a lurker when it comes to forums—apologies for being so quiet about it!

Work on Gangplank is still in its formative stages. Gangplank is a cool character with some unique mechanical hooks in his identity, and I don’t want to rush him; currently, he has no timeline—more of a “when he’s ready” kind of situation. Right now, we’re analyzing and prototyping so we can formalize the right plan.

Yay! You're looking at Gangplank! Please, please finish him soon!

Things that excite me about Gangplank:
-First and foremost he has some of the coolest skins in the game - the guy just looks boss.
-He's not an effin' pirate. He's THE pirate. Pirates rule.
-Gameplay wise, his hoarding gold is fantastic. It's like a mini-game in itself (like Zac's blobs or Quinn's passive). Popping Parrley off to grab extra gold is a lot of fun and you really start to feel the impact as mid game rolls around and you're significantly ahead of your lane opponent.

Things that frustrate me about Gangplank:
-My biggest, biggest, biggest complaint about Gangplank is how undertuned he is compared to other common top laners. Was spectating Salce, a former pro player, playing GP top versus a Shyvana. Salce was significantly ahead and at one point in the game the Shyvana still dove him under tower and 100 to 0'ed him. That's just bs and to me a real reflection on how hard he drops off after the first couple of levels. After that he was forced to just roam his jungle because he couldn't do squat to her.
-His ultimate is janky. It's unreliable and oftentimes unsatisfying. I use it primarily to pick up assist gold or clear waves. Power level or usefulness aside, it's not satisfying. In theme it's cool to hear the pirate yell and have cannonballs dropping down, but in action it never really hits home in effectiveness. Doubt any player ever has said, "OHHH, DAT GP ULT!" Nobody cares, not even GP. Everyone calmly walks out.
-What is GP? Even the community seems to struggle in what to do with him. Bankplank? Tankplank? Critplank? None are competitive. He starts off with carry like stats comparable to Tryndamere and has early game dominance but falls off hard. Is he to be a melee carry? A bruiser? Would love to see his role defined and his desired itemization more apparent.

I think you have an awesome place to start because again, he has awesome skins, an awesome theme and some iconic elements. You also have your work cut out for you in finding what to cut, what to keep and which direction to take him! Best of luck and look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

NVDax

03-08-2014

Quote:

*eyes widen* Just when I started to give up hope... Nice to hear from ya again, it's great to hear you're working on GP still! Here's to hoping it comes out this season/year though :/ just try not to make him to different, yah?

Edit: I mean... Try to make him still identifiable with those who love him.