@Riot: Progress Report on Gangplank

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 40
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xaxziminrax

03-07-2014

I really like the fact that you have a tangible trade-off between harassing and last hitting with Q, and I like his teamfight presence.

However, GP just kinda buffs his team, then runs around in teamfights while Q is off CD. I'd love it if he had more defined strengths and weaknesses, because the well-rounded nature of his kit just leads him to be wonderfully average in all phases.

And that's really cool, and super balancable, but as far as just playing around goes, it's not necessarily "fun." Kinda like the reason that Xerath got reworked, I suppose. When I play GP, I try to extend the laning phase as much as possible, if only because that's where I feel like I'm actually doing things. Late game, you just get outscaled a bit too much, and it becomes very difficult to split push, which is a hallmark of a champ with a Global ult.

But I mean, there aren't that many things in League more satisfying than getting that crit in lane on your Q, especially with the gun sound that Special Forces GP gives you.

Narasimha

03-07-2014

His E needs to be more piratey. Right now its just generic 'Imma leader so follow me!'. It needs to be more 'Arrr Imma pillage ye corpese ya stinkin landlubbers!'

h 2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2014

Raise Morale has been overworked and overnerfed into an incredibly boring and underpowered ability. I have zero morale for the current state of Raise Morale. Raise my Raise Morale Morale, morelloplz

ImTheSideKick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot GMang View Post
Hey all! Nice to see interest, thanks for bringing this up. I’ve been a bit of a lurker when it comes to forums—apologies for being so quiet about it!

Work on Gangplank is still in its formative stages. Gangplank is a cool character with some unique mechanical hooks in his identity, and I don’t want to rush him; currently, he has no timeline—more of a “when he’s ready” kind of situation. Right now, we’re analyzing and prototyping so we can formalize the right plan.

If you have thoughts on him, I’d love to hear them! What excites you about Gangplank, and what bores you? What frustrates, and what satisfies? What is he overdoing, and what is he missing? Inquiring minds want to know!
Honestly I love playing AP GP OP

reasons why

His ult does MASSIVE damage in team fights, shredding lines apart
His Q would do close to 700 damage (over 200 of it ad and the rest magical due to lichbane)
and his Oranges would heal for 1.3k

however with the new lichbane i think i will have to drop AP GP has he will no longer be OP

Boyahda

03-07-2014

So it seems a rework is coming. That's kind of sad because we'll probably be losing his ultimate. We know how much Riot hates RNG and global abilities.

Flandag

03-07-2014

Quote:
Hey all! Nice to see interest, thanks for bringing this up. I’ve been a bit of a lurker when it comes to forums—apologies for being so quiet about it!

Work on Gangplank is still in its formative stages. Gangplank is a cool character with some unique mechanical hooks in his identity, and I don’t want to rush him; currently, he has no timeline—more of a “when he’s ready” kind of situation. Right now, we’re analyzing and prototyping so we can formalize the right plan.

If you have thoughts on him, I’d love to hear them! What excites you about Gangplank, and what bores you? What frustrates, and what satisfies? What is he overdoing, and what is he missing? Inquiring minds want to know!
As a old Gangplank main and still a giant Gangplank fan, a few of the things that frustrate me are:

1) Role... what is it? Gangplank is a "fighter" but he's not innately defensive enough to be a good fighter compared to other comparable fighters but doesn't have enough damage sources to be able to afford not building damage... basically, he's stuck between really needing both defensive and offensive stats. I find that itemizing him is a bit tricky in the current state of the game. Usually, I just fire off the Q, buff with E, then run around while waiting to do it again... or I wade in to mop of stranglers. In fact, the best way I find to play him is like (gasp heresy) a ninja! He's great at clean-up and kill-stealing (but hey, he's a priate, he's allowed to do that)...right?

2) Each of his powers is very limited to what it does compared to other kits. It's very two-dimensional. Give him more to do! Maybe combine his current E with one of his other powers and give him a brand new E? Give him a bit more CC at the expensive of other stats? If Gangplank were to be a new champion today, each of his powers would probably have a double facet to them, so... do that?

All in all, I love Gangplank but he needs more to do and a more defined role (a better kit would help define that).

Zephorah

03-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisonpowder View Post
I honestly think all he really needs is:
1. Mana cost reductions to bring him in line with current resource costs
2. Cast time removed on basically everything but his W. I mean, he's shooting a pistol, he doesn't need to plant his feet to do it.
he shoots hiz gun sideways while walkin up to the farm like a mad g yo

getin bank erry day cuz he a pirate

Xaxziminrax

03-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arokh View Post
getin bank erry day cuz he a pirate
He does what he want, cuz a pirate is free.

Best Champion NA

03-07-2014

One thing that I like about Gangplank is that he is an ideal healthy bruiser. He has a poke in q with costs similar to pantheons spear shot. He has a ms/as steroid and a cleanse. I would argue his Raise Morale is a bit out of place on his kit, which relies on on hit effects from items such as statik shiv, iceborn gauntlet or sheen, and crit. Gangplank pokes and goes in and chases with his passive q slow.

An opinion of mine that I would like to see is gangplanks passive slow moved into his raise moral slot and give him an entirely new passive. His slow can be toggleable similar to ashes frost shot, that way as a player I can actually feel rewarded for the ability versus "meh they are slowed by passive", and sometimes it feels like its not even there.

Another opinion is his ult, which I agree is very hard to tune. Originally his ult was the size of a summoners rift lane with RNG more often favoring gangplank for damage. I feel riot should make Gangplanks ult more of a close area effect similar to how jannas passive was reworked and you can up the damage numbers versus "herp bot lanes going in gonna shoot ult for le assist" like karthus.

Clockmaker

03-07-2014

Quote:

it's excited playing the underdog with no special powers other than his ability to stick it to the enemy with his brilliant loopholes (third party interventions). I like his Q mechanics, basically making him a ranged champ for one attack while being rewarded if he kills a unit. His ultimate also fits his theme and is fun to play with. Sure it's RNG, but it's a reliable slow and a killer at midgame teamfights.

IMO what frustrates me the most is how much "utility" he has in his kit and how it hardly helps him or his team. His passive for instance is a free permaslow, a snowball mechanic, yet it's super difficult for GP to snowball. his E also suffers the same flaw. GP has almost no tools to help him snowball so he CAN make use of his E and his passive. it's frustrating to get jumped on in lane and being unable to do anything other than W>Q>run because i know that the enemy champ has 100% more dueling power than I do. it sometimes feels like i'm playing a support with a very weak early/midgame (and if i do go support GP i also have a weak lategame).

GP overdoes his movement modifiers. he has 2 slows and a speed amp, meaning all of them have to be individually weak so they don't super stack when combined all together. Lower the number of movement modifiers in his kit and give him more dueling power so he can actually make use of his kit once he reaches someone.

12345612 ... 40