Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pyna

03-04-2014

If I played galio in free champion rotation 15 times, then I buy him, will you account that as my first time playing galio and put me with a team who is playing their champ for the first time? Also, what happens if someone decides to not pick a champion since there is no time limit? Will he get removed after a certain time?

Corvic Maractis

03-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Blackrook View Post
1. It's not as comprehensive as separate MMRs for different champions. IMO that would be a bad experience for players because a Diamond player can pretty much pick up any champion quickly enough to smash a beginner player. The actual solution is more of a middle ground where we take into account experience on Champ/Pos/Role in matchmaking in addition to your normal MMR.
So very similar to how Prime World does their match making then. Where each character has a by item/level up rating, a by MMR, and a by number of games rating.

much feed

03-04-2014

I'm not sure if this has been said before, but one of the problems they said that would keep it from ranked is the ban picks.

What I thought might work is to have the bans sort of like the "all-for-one" mode, where you would pick who you want banned and if more than one person chose that it would be banned and if there was a tie or anything, then it would randomize.

I just think team builder would really be awesome in ranked because even though it's imperative to be able to play every role comfortably, it'd be nice to be able to play the role you prefer.

IDarksbane

Senior Recruiter

03-04-2014

It would be really nice to get this for ranked so people arent constantly when at the bottom "CALL ORDER" then when at the top "PICK ORDER" gets sorta anoying -_-

Riot Blackrook

QA Analyst

03-04-2014
14 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjusuke View Post
off topic but when can we expect some actual attention for bot games? like intermediate bots in customs, or hard bots in matchmaking?

the gap between bots and real players is huge
I don't know much about what our AI/Bots team is doing, but there is a team that is actively working on bots. They recently put some of their work on the PBE:
http://community.pbe.leagueoflegends...eedback-thread

Riot Blackrook

QA Analyst

03-04-2014
15 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlyle Wilds View Post
It's forward facing quite a bit, but is there a possibility Team Builder will be adapted to certain Featured Game Modes in the future?

For instance, Hexakill. The biggest difficulty to Hexakill was that with only 90 seconds to get six people to select and settle on a strategy, it--well, frankly it almost never worked out that way. You still ended up with 'something', but getting people to agree to something crazy when they've already autolocked half the champs and expected to go somewhere else... yeah.

It's not necessary for every mode, of course, but it could work out fantastically. Think of One For All, for instance - let a captain select a champ they want to play, and others queue up as that champ, and the system automatically matches you with others who want to play that champ.
That's a pretty great idea. The UX Designer on One For All has definitely been experimenting with designs for using TB in conjunction with OFA, but since TB is still in active development there are no official plans to use it for any other queues yet. We want to make sure the basic TB experience is as good as it can be before we do anything else with it.

tl;dr: No promises, but we're thinking about it!

Haon450

03-04-2014

Just an idea that may be terrible but for a ranked version what if each player picks 5+ (to account for bans and a pick away or more for counterpicking.) with a player preference for each champ and pick as their turns come around? Just an idea to throw out.

Samus Frost

03-04-2014

What if you see that someone is going to try to be toxic in a game or pick a terrible champ like nautilus for adc, but the rest of your team is 100% normal. Will there be a way to for the team to vote that one person out for someone new or will we just have to leave on our own to hope we get into a good team again?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-04-2014
16 of 54 Riot Posts

Just to update everyone, we've started Team Builder Live Beta in EUNE and RU. After 48 hours and assuming testing goes well, we'll be starting up EUW and then TR.

After that, is NA and BR. Stay tuned for more updates!

SpecOpsDeath

03-04-2014

Heres my .02 cents on this potentially making it to ranked/even just making it better overall:

You are qued up for a certain position (lets say mid). You are then placed with 4 others that fill up the other roles. When you get into champ select it is still draft mode, but everyone already has their position/role so there is no "fighting" over a specific lane.

With this:
- no fighting over roles
- can still counter pick other team
- still has bans
- no potential to have two of the same champs in the game.

Thoughts on this? I dont see this being difficult to implement, granted it could not be implemented now but at some point or another it could if teambuilder is something riot wishes to have in the game.