Welcome to the Audio Feedback forum

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xanderzeller

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

03-03-2014

just wanna say Vel'Koz, Zed, and Nami's voice-overs are the best in the game. Vel'Koz reminds me of the classic protoss VOs in the original starcraft. Zed's is hauntingly beautiful with its gravelly metallic undertones. And Nami is the only character in the league who sounds like the kind of person I would want to go grab some lunch with and just hangout together,she sounds like the perky girl next door. good job sound people!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xfuZiOn Lv 99

Junior Member

03-03-2014

i can't stand the announcer! need to upgrade that and re-over the annoying announcement notifications. she sounds like the british lady from nickelodeons guts and i want to punch her with a chair! but sadly i also want to hear what my team is doing.. or not doing. as for the 7.1 issue, the problem is with circular pan law. there is no center speaker. which means that the volume is higher on either the right or left using headphones since its not true 7.1 but rather a faux pan that creates a 3d environment from 2 channels by panning the volume. and thats what makes centered volumes very low. u can solder a breakout box for 2 stereo ins and one mono in and sum them to a 3.5 headphone if you really really want 7.1 surround sound. it'll be a summed total that way but at least the center channel will have volume. oh yea and champion select... incredibly boring and corny. you guys should use what ever current event login track for champ select. mix it up a bit. and alot of the champs are have really cheesy lines- audio wise the job is done decent but its ruined bc of the cheesy lines. the sound effects could be much much better, more dramatic and powerful. each champ should have more personalize audio clips along with their kit/model/attacks/etc. yasou is horrible so ill use him as example. he sounds like TF, or a cowboy. but he's a samurai? his voice doesn't match his battle cries at all! its like two different characters in that aspect. oh and i could use a clip to play when someone messages me or invites, alot of times i have the client open but may be in the kitchen or etc and have no clue that said friend wants lose a game with me. theres alot missing audio wise in this game that can be done to further pull in a customer and should be taken seriously on behalf of your sales and marketing dept's. and as a customer, id like to see it.. er hear it.. so i can enjoy a better experience and ofc expand my love for the game. if your audio team is interested i can def throw some hours down in omnisphere and share some more intense effect experiences for our game. but all in all I'm more concerned about the visual aspects, they need to catch up, bc you guys in the audio dept have up'd your game in the last few months yet minions still look cartoony. they are ugly and hurt my eyes! seriously I'm playing a game where I'm trying to kill people! i don't need flowers on the map! =p

when i 1st starting playing it was rengars login screen. the audio was horrid. it was clipped everywhere and even on my mackie hr's there was no bass! like seriously bypassed at 180h. the mix of instrument tracks was a disaster, muffy and distorted. yuck. and now look at you guys! that morg/ahri login? I'm impressed. crystal compared to previous LoL audio. idk if its a new team or what but your progress has had much improvement quality wise over time. keep it up. btw, jinx was pleasant to listen to and i loved the lyrics bc they absolutely went with the character's theme. thats a huge compliment bc I'm a classical musician and hate EVERYTHING with words. however please hire vocalist that will perform in key? that track was an atonal rainbow.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Starlighte

Senior Member

03-03-2014

Alright here is a question for you guys. Why is the "Champion Select" screen SO MUCH LOUDER than ingame? Why are these setting seperate? I get that we can change the volume setting, but can we reduce the "default" setting on the volume for some of these features?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morrivar

Junior Member

03-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3Sound View Post
Hey Javarino!

I transitioned over to the Relaunch Team as their sound designer back around the Master Yi rework (Sans a few like Garen and Siver), and I can say that there is definitely a very intricate and carefully crafted system in place now on how we move forward with Reworks, VU's, Relaunches, TU's, etc.

That being said, a lot of work goes into relaunching an older champion. This takes the focus and prioritization of the entire team. Each stage from concept to model, animation, particles, sounds/VO, and everything in between is reviewed and critiqued together. For example, the concept artist is just as invested in the VO/sfx as I am, and vise versa. And while the VO process starts soon after the project kick-off, much of the time the next project has already been started by the time the project is ready for sound effects. So imagine a tall cascading waterfall and you can kind-of get an idea of how it works.

That was a bit of a long winded answer to say that much of our work and efforts are linked. And for good reason. If I were to re-make old audio for a champion that will be reworked 3 months later, and the timing of the spells, particles/visuals change... this may cause major discrepancies within my 3 month old sound design, and I would have to re-make everything again. It just isn't as efficient to work that way as it is to move as a team. Especially since we want to make sure the quality bar we are raising and the experience we are delivering is the most cohesive and consistent one we can provide.

Javarino, that was an excellent question! It's safe to say that, for now, Relaunch Team audio will usually be piggy-backed on larger scale changes to a character. However, there always could be exceptions to the rule! ;P
Well we've seen two "Texture Updates" already, even though that's been only part of VUs before that. Older champs that don't warrant a full VU or relaunch are still in need of more lines of dialogue at the least. Tons of champs (like Anivia, since I just mentioned the TUs) have had lore revisions/additions (both in her case, what with her being from Freljord or something like that now and there being new champs from there) that should be reflected in-game, yet aren't likely to get the amount of love as champs in sore need like Poppy and Heimer (sidenote: YAYYYYYY HEIMER VU)(*ahem* sorry about that).

Basically, it'd be a shame if all this love was given to some champs just because they need all of it, but the champs that only need some of it get left out.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronMaidenDlanor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

03-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrivar View Post
Well we've seen two "Texture Updates" already, even though that's been only part of VUs before that. Older champs that don't warrant a full VU or relaunch are still in need of more lines of dialogue at the least. Tons of champs (like Anivia, since I just mentioned the TUs) have had lore revisions/additions (both in her case, what with her being from Freljord or something like that now and there being new champs from there) that should be reflected in-game, yet aren't likely to get the amount of love as champs in sore need like Poppy and Heimer (sidenote: YAYYYYYY HEIMER VU)(*ahem* sorry about that).

Basically, it'd be a shame if all this love was given to some champs just because they need all of it, but the champs that only need some of it get left out.
He just explained that it doesn't work that way. Anivia should actually show you a good example of the kind of thing that will happen. New sound work will most likely usually come with a lore update of some sort, like how Anivia got new lines for the Freljord update (even before her TU) but didn't get any other big changes because she didn't particularly need them. It's reasonable to conclude that if a champion could really use new lines even if their model is good, it's because something about their lore or playstyle is still potentially subject to change.

Incidentally, there was probably nothing changed in Rammus' case besides his textures because there's nothing at all that needed to be changed. It's not like an untalkative champion like him needs any more lines, and the rest of his stuff still doesn't feel outdated.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nicksiren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-04-2014

This is awesome!! I've been wanting a place to give dedicated audio feedback for a long time. You guys do a great job and I can't wait for the audio geek conversations that will happen here


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BelligerentSwan

Sr. Sound Designer

03-04-2014
9 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
Hi!

Are you guys still working on the new audio engine?

Also what was the deciding factor to redo the audio engine? Were there effects or something you weren't able to do with the old system or did you decide it was time to just fix it up?
Hey exec3,

We are indeed still working on it. There are many reasons we've decided to make the switch to a new audio engine, but I don't want to go into all of them just yet. I can say though, that one of the bigger reasons was to ensure we can continue to grow as League of Legends grows. I'm amazed by all of the awesome ideas both the community and my fellow Rioters have come up with the past few years, and continue to come up with everyday. This makes it a challenge for us to predict all the cool things League of Legends might see further down the line. What we can do though is create a strong adaptable foundation that will allow us to grow with these ideas and expand our possibilities as they come up. The new audio engine is a large part of that foundation. As we get closer to rolling it out there will be more information about the switch. For now we are focused on getting it ready and addressing a bunch of the awesome feedback we received from our first PBE test.

We hope to do another PBE test in the near future, and would love for anyone interested to join us and help test it out. Keep an eye out on the PBE Forums for any announcements.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vialley

Senior Member

03-04-2014

2010-2014 League still doesn't support more then 2 speakers GG/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tortferngatr

Senior Member

03-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3Sound View Post
Hey Javarino!

I transitioned over to the Relaunch Team as their sound designer back around the Master Yi rework (Sans a few like Garen and Siver), and I can say that there is definitely a very intricate and carefully crafted system in place now on how we move forward with Reworks, VU's, Relaunches, TU's, etc.

That being said, a lot of work goes into relaunching an older champion. This takes the focus and prioritization of the entire team. Each stage from concept to model, animation, particles, sounds/VO, and everything in between is reviewed and critiqued together. For example, the concept artist is just as invested in the VO/sfx as I am, and vise versa. And while the VO process starts soon after the project kick-off, much of the time the next project has already been started by the time the project is ready for sound effects. So imagine a tall cascading waterfall and you can kind-of get an idea of how it works.

That was a bit of a long winded answer to say that much of our work and efforts are linked. And for good reason. If I were to re-make old audio for a champion that will be reworked 3 months later, and the timing of the spells, particles/visuals change... this may cause major discrepancies within my 3 month old sound design, and I would have to re-make everything again. It just isn't as efficient to work that way as it is to move as a team. Especially since we want to make sure the quality bar we are raising and the experience we are delivering is the most cohesive and consistent one we can provide.

Javarino, that was an excellent question! It's safe to say that, for now, Relaunch Team audio will usually be piggy-backed on larger scale changes to a character. However, there always could be exceptions to the rule! ;P
Hmm. What about champions who are likely to not receive thematic and/or potential lore updates in the next year or so [i.e. most of the post-2010 cast for thematic updates and most of the post-Jayce champs for lore updates] and share a voice actor called in primarily for another project?

Like if during the Vel'Koz recording Erik did a few extra lines for Draven and Jax, like giving Draven dialogue on taunting/killing/dying to an enemy Darius/Jax/Fiora or Jax dialogue on taunting/killing/dying to fellow combat egotists Fiora/Draven or even a few lines near Aatrox.

So if an upcoming champ/VU had Zyra/Shyvana/Fiora/Elise/Cassiopeia's voice actor, Fiora might get lines for killing Jax or Draven/dying to either one, Shyvana might get lines for some of Jarvan, Quinn, Swain [another transforming champ], Dragon Master Swain [if he's far enough along], if his creative direction is certain Ao Shin, Garen, Xin, Lux, and Lulu [Fairy-types beat Dragons, see], Zyra might get lines for killing Fizz/Nautilus/Nami [Grass always beats water, silly] or near Maokai/Leona, Elise might get lines for killing or dying to Kha'zix/LeBlanc, lines for being near Maokai, Mordekaiser, or Hecarim, lines for evading a Karthus ult with Rappel [this must happen], and perhaps an appropriate counterpart to Lissandra's hidden Howling Abyss monologue for TT, while Cass might finally get to taunt Sivir back--and, well, all the other Shurima goodness in store.)

I know Annie and Amumu could use some mutual dialogue (and Amumu seems unlikely to reach VU stage in 2014).

Is this plausible, and would the new audio engine make that more plausible?

I guess it just feels like we could have so many more cool character interactions in the game, and so many other MOBAs seem to have both them and a good system for retroactively implementing them, that having a way to make them happen in League more often than the VU/champion update schedule would go a very, very long way.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

C3Sound

Associate Sound Designer

03-04-2014
10 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
I guess it just feels like we could have so many more cool character interactions in the game, and so many other MOBAs seem to have both them and a good system for retroactively implementing them, that having a way to make them happen in League more often than the VU/champion update schedule would go a very, very long way.
Tortferngatre - you are onto some really good stuff here.

Ok, so lemme break it down a bit more. So the lore updates and the audio engine isnt the issue. But you touched on a really good idea that has been floating around here lately.

Lore updates come with the movement to update a champion. Lore by itself doesn't drive the motivation to relaunch a champion. The decision is very much riddled with variables. And just because we relaunched an unpopular champion, doesn't mean there weren't other reasons behind the decision. Just to give one example: Say there is just one ugly look'n dude running around the game. Like, seriously hideous. The art impact of upping that champs quality and getting that old version out of the game helps the overall quality of our game more than a character who doesn't necessarily need it as badly. The audio engine is also not an issue either, as it just determines how we implement the audio, not what we implement.

So before I get to your good idea, lemme present another issue with these character interactions. Your idea of bringing in more character interactions is good, and we do so for every relaunch. But you had mentioned bringing them in for champions dont necessarily need to relaunch, and some of those are with champions that have just been released. So here is one of the harder corners with that idea... We have to bring in every single on of those voice actors just for a few lines. And we are getting quite diverse in our actor list these days. We have limited resources in terms of writers and sound designers, as we all have to keep pounding on current material. So to spawn a side project of amassing a large amount of character interactions with a large number of actors that span the country, record them all, and implement them is not necessarily the smallest/quickest of tasks. And we also do this in more than 13 different languages! Its a cool idea for sure though.

Now, you did touch on something that I find to be a good compromise. And that is coming up with interactions that work for a larger group of champions, not just single champs. Say, faction champs, races, similar weapon wielding champs, gender, paragon, etc. This requires a lot of design side work, but its a really cool idea. I like it. I like it a lot. We have done it in the past, for example Weather Forecast Janna says "It's raining cats and dogs here" if you have a Nasus and Rengar in a game. The trick is to make them broad and relevant, yet keep them appealing and cool.

Hope that helps!

- C3Sound