Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot Blackrook

QA Analyst

03-03-2014
11 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
If I bought a big RP card, could I send in a support ticket to request that the money from it goes to buying the team a round of drinks?
Don't worry, we have our own drinks, but thanks for the support!

Riot Blackrook

QA Analyst

03-03-2014
12 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervation View Post
When you say the system will account for it being your first time playing a champion, or perhaps even a whole role (marksmen was the given example), this sounds like champion specific MMR on a per champion, per player basis. Is that what this is, or is this some new kind of wizardry?

Lets say everything goes perfectly across all beta testing regions. What's next in the timeline? Do you have more rounds of live beta testing planned? More in-house iteration? Straight to live? (and if so, weeks? months?)

Also, when this is all said and done and a few weeks have gone by, can you guys come back to the forums and share some of your internal data with us? Especially things like "double jungler is the 3rd most popular non standard meta created by team builder with 1.3% of all games having 2 junglers on a team" and other fun facts like that. Thanks in advance!
1. It's not as comprehensive as separate MMRs for different champions. IMO that would be a bad experience for players because a Diamond player can pretty much pick up any champion quickly enough to smash a beginner player. The actual solution is more of a middle ground where we take into account experience on Champ/Pos/Role in matchmaking in addition to your normal MMR.

2. We'll probably let you know after we see how the Beta goes

3. I'm a fan of such stats as well. I'm particularly curious to see what the percentages are for Solo positions and roles. Lyte will probably have a better idea of if we can release any of this, but I'll definitely bring it up if I see any stats you guys might be interested in.

Riot Blackrook

QA Analyst

03-03-2014
13 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAlongTheWay View Post
Will bot games get Team Builder? It seems pretty easy to implement it I guess.

It's pretty pointless, but its cool to have imo. Some people really wanna test their champs in bot games on their specific roles just to get he feel for the champ.
Not pointless at all. Bot games are the major way in which new players experience League of Legends. If Team builder provides a better, more intuitive champ select flow, it may help new players learn the game faster.

AllAlongTheWay

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Blackrook View Post
Not pointless at all. Bot games are the major way in which new players experience League of Legends. If Team builder provides a better, more intuitive champ select flow, it may help new players learn the game faster.
I like to think it would. It seems rather easy to implement Team Builder in bot games than it is in normals. Also, thanks for the response. Never thought a Riot employee would answer any of my questions.

Shinjusuke

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Blackrook View Post
off topic but when can we expect some actual attention for bot games? like intermediate bots in customs, or hard bots in matchmaking?

the gap between bots and real players is huge

Elastoid

03-03-2014

I'm going to throw this out there -- this is accomplishing everything it needs to by just being in normal, not in ranked.

Here's the reasoning behind this:

In ranked games, the overwhelmingly large majority of players have one goal in mind upon entering queue -- to win. Even role-squabbling is usually driven by a disagreement on what's more likely to win. When I queue up, I want ADC, because I feel that's the best chance for me (and the team) to win, but if someone else is married to the role, I'm a competent jungler or can go top lane. Lately, I've enjoyed those roles better, and that's what I play in normals, but in ranked, I go where I think we can win.

In normal games, on the other hand, winning or losing is less important. People who queue up for normals are usually looking to do one of two things -- to have fun, or to test/practice something. If it's the latter, they definitely have something in mind before hitting the "Play" button, and if it's for fun, they probably do. More people are queuing up for normals with the intention of playing a certain champ or role already.

Ranked should remain pristine. As skillful draft is undoubtedly a part of the game, it's impossible to implement Team Builder in ranked without drastically changing the game. That's fine, though, because Team Builder will allow players with no intention of playing anything but Teemo top a place to queue up with 100% certainty of playing Teemo top.

Gareus

03-04-2014

Is it possible to add an additional feature to team builder that allows players to select the role of filling? I know this seems odd, but for ranked sometimes players feel as though they are unsure what role they want to go until they see the composition of their team/champions. For example, if I notice that bot lane consist of Ashe and Leona I might have come in wanting to play mid, but changed to jungle because I feel as though I would be more useful finishing kills for specific lanes based upon the team comp.

CyberBoa

03-04-2014

I can't wait to try the Team-Builder. No more flames on my Teemo

Morrivar

03-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
The current version of Team Builder focuses on champion select, and not on drafting or counterpicking. Given that those are critical to the strategy of competitive game modes, we aren't sure how Team Builder will work in Ranked modes just yet but it's something we're thinking about.
Seems pretty simple to me.

Have it work exactly as it does now, only without choosing a champ. Have everyone choose a position and role, and then start the queue or whatever. (Maybe let people pick their preferred without guaranteeing it, so we get a full picture.)

Once the queue pops, you go to the current draft champ select. Only difference is that everyone's in on the same game plan. That way if the support gets first pick she can still lock in the ADC or midlaner or whatever, but everyone knows he/she isn't ninjaing the slot.

Of course, that support COULD ninja the spot, so have it so that that part of the game is monitored and let us report people for doing that.

I'm sure you guys have thought of that already, so I'm super interested in what holes there are in my proposal to cause the issue to be so much more complicated than what I'm seeing.

Garlyle Wilds

03-04-2014

It's forward facing quite a bit, but is there a possibility Team Builder will be adapted to certain Featured Game Modes in the future?

For instance, Hexakill. The biggest difficulty to Hexakill was that with only 90 seconds to get six people to select and settle on a strategy, it--well, frankly it almost never worked out that way. You still ended up with 'something', but getting people to agree to something crazy when they've already autolocked half the champs and expected to go somewhere else... yeah.

It's not necessary for every mode, of course, but it could work out fantastically. Think of One For All, for instance - let a captain select a champ they want to play, and others queue up as that champ, and the system automatically matches you with others who want to play that champ.