Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

innervation

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Hey everyone,

Make sure to thank the following Rioters for their help in getting Team Builder this far! Itís been my honor to work with these Rioters on this project.

btab, ceciliaicy, davin, DoctahWayne, Drevarius, Fr3nchT0ast, Goggalor, MissMechaZero, RiotBahamut, RiotBlackrook, RiotComplex, RiotExLibris, RiotId, RiotJayway, RiotLobster, RiotLulu, RiotMartlet, RiotNeuroCat, RiotNoyz, RiotSeb, RiotTantram, RiotWorldPeace, Ryedan, scezumin, statuskwoh, stochasticmx, VonBurgermeister, Yegg and Yupster.

Thanks for the list, I really love seeing who works on these projects. And a big thanks to everyone on the list: this is is going to be the best and coolest addition to the game since the Howling Abyss!

Some questions:

When you say the system will account for it being your first time playing a champion, or perhaps even a whole role (marksmen was the given example), this sounds like champion specific MMR on a per champion, per player basis. Is that what this is, or is this some new kind of wizardry?

Lets say everything goes perfectly across all beta testing regions. What's next in the timeline? Do you have more rounds of live beta testing planned? More in-house iteration? Straight to live? (and if so, weeks? months?)

Also, when this is all said and done and a few weeks have gone by, can you guys come back to the forums and share some of your internal data with us? Especially things like "double jungler is the 3rd most popular non standard meta created by team builder with 1.3% of all games having 2 junglers on a team" and other fun facts like that. Thanks in advance!

Katasumai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyte View Post
hey everyone,

make sure to thank the following rioters for their help in getting team builder this far! Itís been my honor to work with these rioters on this project.

Btab, ceciliaicy, davin, doctahwayne, drevarius, fr3ncht0ast, goggalor, missmechazero, riotbahamut, riotblackrook, riotcomplex, riotexlibris, riotid, riotjayway, riotlobster, riotlulu, riotmartlet, riotneurocat, riotnoyz, riotseb, riottantram, riotworldpeace, ryedan, scezumin, statuskwoh, stochasticmx, vonburgermeister, yegg and yupster.
thank you everyone!!!!

VonBurgermeister

UX Designer

03-03-2014
10 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katasumai View Post
thank you everyone!!!!
You are most welcome!

I Am Tolan

03-03-2014

path of exile is being released on the 5th, IMO bad timing.

I dont think your gonna get good results from this beta since alot of people are gonna get heading that way for a good month or so.

I Am Tolan

03-03-2014

Since you select your champion and role in the queue... does that mean no counterpicks in ranked?

IMakeFunofMods

03-03-2014

I guarantee it will be just as fail as the tribunal itself is, as is everything Lyte does.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2014

I normally fill as the team needs (read: play support and jungle) and am happy doing that, but I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Hyrum Graff

03-03-2014

First off, a huge "thank you" - this feature sounds like it will be awesome.

Secondly, I have an idea to improve the efficiency of the que: implement some kind of indicator of whether players are OK with playing in a non-meta team comp.

As someone who likes doing crazy stuff, one of the largest benefits of team builder is that I can go into a game with a team that is just as enthusiastic about the weird strat as I am. At the same time, I worry that que times for non-meta team comps may go up a lot.

If there were an indicator of this type*, you could speed up que times quite a bit by making sure that pro-meta players never get placed into a non-meta team comp, and that anti-meta players are more likely to be placed into a non-meta team comp.

Hypothetically, I think this would lower the que times for both pro- and anti-meta players, since both parties would spend less time getting matched with a group and then re-entering the que.

*note that there are several ways of making the indicator. The two that I can think of off the top of my head are:
1) Indicator is invisible to the player, and is based on the frequency of non-meta team comps they play in.
-->pro: less complicated for the player
-->con: what if a non-meta player wants to play in a meta comp, or vice versa?
-->con: depending on the proportion of non-meta players, may lengthen que times for non-meta comps (but this could be mitigated by giving the indicator less weight)
-->challenge: how do you define what is meta? sometimes a meta comp will have a squishy jungler, or support. How do you reliably tell if a comp is meta or not?
2) Indicator is visible and changable by the player; player ques for either "meta comp," "non-meta comp," or "any comp". Team Leaders can indicate whether their comp is in the meta or not.
-->pro: flexible to adapt to a changing meta
-->pro: players who want to play something different than they normally do won't have to keep re-entering the que until they are randomly matched with a comp they like.
-->con: depending on the proportion of non-meta players, may significantly lengthen the que times for non-meta comps (but this could be mitigated by only having 2 que options: "any comp," which prioritizes meta comps, or "non-meta comp" which only matches you into non-meta comps)
-->con: more complicated for players to deal with.
-->con: any time that users have control, it opens the possibility of trolling

Thoughts (both from reds and other community members)?

Hyrum Graff

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Tolan View Post
Since you select your champion and role in the queue... does that mean no counterpicks in ranked?
I don't believe they'll be implementing team builder in ranked. Although obviously things are open to change, I think the plan at this point is to have team builder replace blind pick. Draft and ranked stay the same.

AllAlongTheWay

03-03-2014

Will bot games get Team Builder? It seems pretty easy to implement it I guess.

It's pretty pointless, but its cool to have imo. Some people really wanna test their champs in bot games on their specific roles just to get he feel for the champ.

Also I have another question.

Why can't we have like a system we're we can queue up with a different "role" and still be in champ select? Say if you're going to queue up and something pops up that tells you "what role you wanna play". You click on that role and it sends you to champ select with the role you picked. Then it gives some time for strategy instead of calling out roles and stuff. Not to mention you can implement this in draft and you can ban champs and counterpick the enemy team and still get the role that you want of course.

Anyways. Thanks guys. I can't wait to play Team builder for 48 unhealthy hours I hope haha. I would love a reply from a Riot employee about this. I would appreciate it.