Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Blackrook View Post
In my opinion Team Builder still has insane potential to improve your experience. Even if you don't care what role you play, the other people on your team might. Team Builder ensures that everyone else on you team is happy with the composition of the team which should mean a better experience for you in more games.

i.e. No more losing games because some one "only plays mid/top"
I agree. I would even go so far as to say it's the best thing to happen to lol in recent memory. I've stopped playing normals entirely because I don't want to do the whole scrabbling to call and lock your pick that happens before every game, so this game mode is a godsend for me. I can finally test out that bankplank build in peace without having to fight for my lane. I see no reason why this wouldn't replace blind pick normals as the de facto game mode, tbh. It's the entire BP SR experience with none of the downsides (apart from slightly longer setup times- a price I'm sure most players would pay.)

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2014

This looks pretty cool!

A Simpler Role Signalling Option for Ranked Games
As for Ranked, I think that a simple signalling mechanism could actually add a lot of utility very cheaply. For example, the first piece of information that generally goes out is what roles people prefer (or wish to avoid). So how about letting people set a role profile ahead of time that would automatically display in champ select?

Here's a very primitive Paint mockup:
Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  145.4 KB
Imgur: http://imgur.com/h0u2J1t

(Translation of Summoner 4's profile: "prefer mid, next-best role is support, really do not want to ADC".)

Advantages of such a system:

• It would save typing time.
  • Role prefs would be steadily visible, whereas chat messages get scrolled off the screen.
I suppose it could even be expanded to allow you to flexibly indicate which role you're intending to go (e.g. you click "2 ADC" and it lights up).

Factoring Champion Familiarity into Matchmaker (in Normals)
I did also want to ask about what you wrote about adjusting matchmaker based on champion familiarity. I mentioned something like this a long time ago on your After Hours thread. My argument there was that you would need some kind of hand-tying mechanism to constrain champ selection, because otherwise Matchmaker has no way of knowing which champ you're going to play for sure. My proposal was the creation of "Elo profiles", each defined by (1) an MMR score, which begins at your standard MMR but can change independently (2) a list of Champions you're not allowed to play under this profile. You could then make, e.g., a "new champs" profile under which you can't play your mains; you'd still start off on a losing streak, but once it figured out your new champ MMR it'd allow you to have more fair matches using unfamiliar champs.

The consensus at the time (with which I agreed) was that this would be way too much hassle and would open up a lot of potential for abuse.

So I'm curious to know how you are planning to work around that using Team Builder. Maybe do it blind and force people to pick their champs before being matched?

Goth Skunk

03-03-2014

I'm going to be AFK this weekend in Toronto.

I sincerely hope the NA Beta does not run its 48 hour course during that time.

Noctes setcoN

03-03-2014

Quick question.

When does it start for NA? All I could find was that it starts March 3-7 for RU and EUNE, and then we're given that beta test "schedule" that's just a bunch of hexagons with no solid dates.

Now maybe I'm just dumb and maybe this type of schedule is normal to some people, but it's not exactly clear to me when it starts exactly for the other regions outside of RU and EUNE. Are we supposed to assume all the regions will have their live beta test sometime between the 3-7? Or are just the RU and EUNE servers having their beta tests somewhere in the "ballpark" of the 3-7? And if so, does that mean the next servers to get their test is TR and EUW, and does that mean theirs is happening the next week? Or at some other time in the near future?

SavageMinnow

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctes setcoN View Post
Quick question.

When does it start for NA? All I could find was that it starts March 3-7 for RU and EUNE, and then we're given that beta test "schedule" that's just a bunch of hexagons with no solid dates.

Now maybe I'm just dumb and maybe this type of schedule is normal to some people, but it's not exactly clear to me when it starts exactly for the other regions outside of RU and EUNE. Are we supposed to assume all the regions will have their live beta test sometime between the 3-7? Or are just the RU and EUNE servers having their beta tests somewhere in the "ballpark" of the 3-7? And if so, does that mean the next servers to get their test is TR and EUW, and does that mean theirs is happening the next week? Or at some other time in the near future?
As far as I can tell, no dates are set for anyone except RU/EUNE, and even for them they only have an idea of when it might be. Since its only 2 day tests and that's an entire week, it's likely just going to fall somewhere in there. There's no actual schedule, in order to allow Riot to fix bugs in between tests.

Renaito Yuujou

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Blackrook View Post
In my opinion Team Builder still has insane potential to improve your experience. Even if you don't care what role you play, the other people on your team might. Team Builder ensures that everyone else on you team is happy with the composition of the team which should mean a better experience for you in more games.

i.e. No more losing games because some one "only plays mid/top"
I'll probably use it out of curiosity a little bit.

Chess435

03-03-2014

If I bought a big RP card, could I send in a support ticket to request that the money from it goes to buying the team a round of drinks?

Chico Thunder

03-03-2014

Really looking forward to it! Thank you for this!

BlueDreamZzZz

03-03-2014

So glad were finally doing something that players like myself have been throwing at you since we first played World of Warcraft where this is already a thing and I don't have to deal with people instalocking the role I want.

Last thing to do is add more chat rooms and eliminate solo que ranked.
Encourage people to play better with each other in blind pick and utilizing the chats in hopes to create teams on which to play ranked (like in WoW)
That way toxic people cant only have a solo que source to rank up, and have to actually become tolerable if they want to ever be on a team and rank up.
Solo que encourages toxicity, you wouldnt even need a Role Selection mechanic if people had to que in pre assembled teams of 5 with players they practice and communicate with.

Think about it.

TaNKeD

03-03-2014

Jungle Vi wait time - 30 seconds

Jungle Heimer wait time - ∞