Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Linna Excel

03-03-2014

Lyte, how difficult would it be to modify team builder for a scrimmage finder?

Let's say I want to work on my champs for specific 1v1 or 2v2 lanes but I'm not really concerned with full games (15 minute time limit). Or maybe I just want to work on Soraka top and I don't really care who I'm laning against. Would a mode for this be doable in the future? It'd be a great tool to help people improve.

Masalar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
What will you do if it turns out that basically everyone who runs teambuilder is doing the meta strategy? Doesn't that defeat half the purpose? I mean, there's still going to be 'I really want to play this champion' for teambuilder, but almost all the games I played with teambuilder on the PBE were of the traditional 1/1/j/2 lanes, with only two exceptions; 1/3/1 and 1/1/j/2 with veigar getting the cs at bottom, and even then the latter is because we were tired of waiting for a marksman.
My understanding is that, if you really want to do something different, then you need to be the team leader to set it up. Just queueing will, most likely, put you in a normal comp, since that is what most people will be running.

Linna Excel

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
The current version of Team Builder focuses on champion select, and not on drafting or counterpicking. Given that those are critical to the strategy of competitive game modes, we aren't sure how Team Builder will work in Ranked modes just yet but it's something we're thinking about.
The big problem is bans. But if you are the captain of the team you can set your bans and none of the banned champs will appear on each side. Maybe the captains are starting together and fill their team as they go. That would give captains in solo queue a much better time having a team comp set up. Maybe they could select from a custom list of champs for a role and then the system will give you one of those.

There actually would be a lot of opportunity for allowing team comps to become important if you know what you are doing with the right system in place.

BombingLegend

03-03-2014

Was a standard calendar too mainstream? You guys obviously spent all your brains on this amazing teambuilder you forgot how to make a calendar

MeSmashYou

03-03-2014

The hexagonal "schedule" is a bit confusing. According to the key, "Live" is a golden color? Yet all current hexagons have a golden color font, suggesting that all regions are currently live?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-03-2014
6 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombingLegend View Post
Was a standard calendar too mainstream? You guys obviously spent all your brains on this amazing teambuilder you forgot how to make a calendar
Haha, to be fair, this is an extremely complicated Live Beta and we've never done anything like this before. We basically wanted to make sure that the team was on standby for each live beta and we could hop on and fix any issues that might pop-up while also ensuring that we had Rioters available to answer any questions players might have.

Because of the nature of the beast, we may have to pause the entire schedule if we need to fix a critical bug, or if we find out we need to take the system down for maintenance. Instead of posting hard dates that we may have to shift constantly on a daily basis, instead we posted a visual timeline that we'll update as we go, and we just want to make sure every server gets the best 48 hours possible (and we get the most data we can out of the tests too).

Right now, no servers are live yet. We're aiming for EUNE and RU first, and when their live betas finish and assuming no issues, we'll start EUW and TR.

Renaito Yuujou

03-03-2014

Good luck with your tests. As someone who primarily fills, I don't have much of a use for team builder, but I hope everybody else enjoys it.

Wolfenstyne

03-03-2014

I love this, but it makes me simultaneously sad I won't get to really enjoy it. I never play anything other than Ranked so for the time being at least this feature means exactly nothing to me. I kind of feel like the last couple of toxicity fixes were all for Normals.... but Ranked feels so Toxic with no alleviation.

Otherwise, really cool feature, but it's kind of like hearing about great new speaker system / light show at a band I would never go see.

Terchuy

03-03-2014

On the PBE I used this to set up things like jungle Twitch and top Hecarim. Anyone who didn't like it could leave with no penalty. I think that's the greatest upside of this system: the freedom to come and go from team assemblies.

Riot Blackrook

QA Analyst

03-03-2014
7 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaito Yuujou View Post
Good luck with your tests. As someone who primarily fills, I don't have much of a use for team builder, but I hope everybody else enjoys it.
In my opinion Team Builder still has insane potential to improve your experience. Even if you don't care what role you play, the other people on your team might. Team Builder ensures that everyone else on you team is happy with the composition of the team which should mean a better experience for you in more games.

i.e. No more losing games because some one "only plays mid/top"