Let's talk about the Design of Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

stevomaster33

03-03-2014

so when will it come out for good?

willuwontu

03-03-2014

When will it be available for NA?

Appendixless

03-03-2014

I love the idea but what is stopping people from troll picking? For example, what is stopping someone from picking something like garen support? Obviously garen support is less than ideal than every other support in the game, but I can see people being like "this is team builder and I want to try something new and interesting at support" when in any other circumstance that could be considered trolling. If restrictions are set on the type of champion that can go in each role, how exclusive will those restraints be?

Grim Reaper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appendixless View Post
I love the idea but what is stopping people from troll picking? For example, what is stopping someone from picking something like garen support? Obviously garen support is less than ideal than every other support in the game, but I can see people being like "this is team builder and I want to try something new and interesting at support" when in any other circumstance that could be considered trolling. If restrictions are set on the type of champion that can go in each role, how exclusive will those restraints be?
I believe the team leader can kick anyone that isn't quite what they wanted and that people that are team leader can only do this a limited number of times in order to prevent abuse of this feature

chaunceymo

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenHusky View Post
I'd assume that it plays like blind pick. Both teams get to choose what they do regardless of the other team, so I'd assume that it's possible for the same champ to be on both teams.
My understanding is that the teams are made totally independently, so while it might increase matchmaking times non-negligibly it would be pretty easy to say "two teams with overlapping champs can't play". But I suspect you are right; just wanted to hear Riot confirm.

Mostly asking because if it did enforce unique champs and the real matchmaking time is shorter than normal draft, it would be a nice mode to practice something closer to ranked play (since normal draft can easily be 20+ minutes before a match starts, with all the dodgers who don't have to worry about losing LP).

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

03-03-2014
3 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertANameHere View Post
Thanks guys!

So if there is enough success with this format, would it be possible to have some sort of ranked setting for team builder?
The current version of Team Builder focuses on champion select, and not on drafting or counterpicking. Given that those are critical to the strategy of competitive game modes, we aren't sure how Team Builder will work in Ranked modes just yet but it's something we're thinking about.

Lyte

03-03-2014
4 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by popboyusa View Post
i assume this will be separate from ranked q right?
Yes, Team Builder will be its own queue. Depending on what we learn from the system, we may adapt some of the lessons to the other queues.

Lyte

03-03-2014
5 of 54 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenHusky View Post
I'd assume that it plays like blind pick. Both teams get to choose what they do regardless of the other team, so I'd assume that it's possible for the same champ to be on both teams.

It would be kind of hard to do something like this for draft, when what you pick somewhat depends on what the other team picks.
This is right, the rules are similar to Normal Blind Pick, so opposing teams can have the same champion but you cannot have duplicate champions on the same team.

Soarent

03-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
The current version of Team Builder focuses on champion select, and not on drafting or counterpicking. Given that those are critical to the strategy of competitive game modes, we aren't sure how Team Builder will work in Ranked modes just yet but it's something we're thinking about.
What about entering the que with a position you want then once it finds the ranked game everything will be same but the captain will ban and everyone will know where they going. Would this work?

Hellioning

03-03-2014

What will you do if it turns out that basically everyone who runs teambuilder is doing the meta strategy? Doesn't that defeat half the purpose? I mean, there's still going to be 'I really want to play this champion' for teambuilder, but almost all the games I played with teambuilder on the PBE were of the traditional 1/1/j/2 lanes, with only two exceptions; 1/3/1 and 1/1/j/2 with veigar getting the cs at bottom, and even then the latter is because we were tired of waiting for a marksman.