FPS Issues on Death Using Mac Client

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GarnetDust

02-27-2014

Thank you for acknowledging and hopefully resolving this bug! I thought it was my internet but knowing that it's a mac issue makes me feel a bit better. This bug actually has an upside. It makes me play more cautious since dying means ill be mia for about a minute.

While True Fork

02-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmeister View Post
We sat down with one of our ActionScript gurus and optimized it;
Not a mac user here, just found this little snippet interesting. Is this functionality the same on the PC client? Also, when you say ActionScript, is this the same ActionScript that runs in flash?

Larrik Jaerico

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2014

Quote:
Hey Guys,
TLDR; This issue should be resolved in the 4.4 patch.

Sorry for the delay on communication, just wanted to check-in on this issue. We've been pushing out patches with optimization improvements for the Mac for the past few releases(including a big one in 4.2 that I thought for sure had resolved the issue). Each of them improved this issue but it has been a bit of a hard one to tackle down and eliminate it entirely from all types/configurations of Macs.

After some digging, we tracked down some slowness in the DeathRecap screen. We sat down with one of our ActionScript gurus and optimized it; ultimately increasing it's performance 3x. On our test machines, we've seen this resolve the issue of the hitch on death. We hope that it will mean the end of the woes with this excruciatingly annoying bug.
ActionScript? Really? LOL, your insane bugs are beginning to make sense! How much of the game client is in ActionScript? Do you use that for the champ/skill scripts too? That sounds awful.

Mike4Real

02-27-2014

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay on communication, just wanted to check-in on this issue. We've been pushing out patches with optimization improvements for the Mac for the past few releases(including a big one in 4.2 that I thought for sure had resolved the issue). Each of them improved this issue but it has been a bit of a hard one to tackle down and eliminate it entirely from all types/configurations of Macs.

After some digging, we tracked down some slowness in the DeathRecap screen. We sat down with one of our ActionScript gurus and optimized it; ultimately increasing it's performance 3x. On our test machines, we've seen this resolve the issue of the hitch on death. We hope that it will mean the end of the woes with this excruciatingly annoying bug.
Well well well, look who it is. May I ask you and the rest of the Mac team WHY it is that we were blatantly IGNORED for OVER TWO MONTHS on this issue and every other issue we've been having? May I ask why we were not told about any of these alleged 'optimizations' that have supposedly gone into the previous patches? None of this information was relayed to us and this is unacceptable. If you were openly working with the users and COMMUNICATING with us about this problem, I guarantee it could have been resolved sooner. I was the one whose feedback you misunderstood, remember? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...=regret&page=3). I honestly would have told you on that day that you did not fix it at all had I known that you would take my very slight good news and run away for 2 months.

I can't even relate to you how frustrating it was making a support ticket for this glitch (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4317456), which also got me nowhere. You guys are UNREACHABLE. We literally have no way of contacting you, or any other members of the Mac team (furthermore no one in the Mac community actually knows who these individuals are). If you disappear from this sub forum the state of the client functionality and user interaction will slowly decay. I honestly thought you got laid off, and I attempted to message you on Reddit as a last ditch effort of contacting the Mac developers.

I cannot stress enough that you guys handled this issue in the worst way possible. Its been in the client for over five months (for some users) and counting. And even now we have to wait for yet another patch, which I'm sure will be another month away? (don't we DESERVE a hot fix for this issue?). Not only did it exist for so long, which is barely okay, but it was IGNORED for about half of that time, which it makes it intolerable. Do you realize how bad this looks? The issue has caused me to lose a considerable amount of faith in Riot as a company. The management of this glitch just demonstrates pure incompetence to me. Even if no progress is made, at the very least you could have the common decency to come here and post something about it instead of abandoning us.

I strongly hope you are able to fix it on 4.4, for all our sake.

Wylight

02-28-2014

I STILL am having the same problem.

satans fruitcake

03-01-2014

i cant say ive been haveing this issue im useing a mac book air so that may be why the only isuse im haveing with my mac is not being able to log on

Mike4Real

03-04-2014

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay on communication, just wanted to check-in on this issue. [...]
Can you at the very least let us know if/when the potential fix is implemented on PBE? It would allow the very few of us who actually have PBE access to test it before it hits live and it might save some us more wasted time.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-05-2014
5 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by While True Fork View Post
Not a mac user here, just found this little snippet interesting. Is this functionality the same on the PC client? Also, when you say ActionScript, is this the same ActionScript that runs in flash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrik Jaerico View Post
ActionScript? Really? LOL, your insane bugs are beginning to make sense! How much of the game client is in ActionScript? Do you use that for the champ/skill scripts too? That sounds awful.
Yeah windows is the same. The "game" per se isn't coded in ActionScript. No champions, gameplay, items, etc are coded in ActionScript. Certain UI elements (shop + death recap) are flash movies that run ActionScript. It uses a technology called ScaleForm that used in many titles: http://gameware.autodesk.com/scaleform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylight View Post
I STILL am having the same problem.
The issue will be resolved in patch 4.4. Currently NA is on 4.3.

@Mike4Real:
I think your criticism is pretty fair. We could have done better on the communication side of this issue. However, there is always a delicate balance here. You can even see with this latest response that many players don't understand the fix won't be in until the next patch. Despite having optimizations going out in each patch, it didn't seem prudent to highlight those until we were relatively confident the issue's big ticket item was fixed. Unfortunately, the nature of the bug and the fact it originated during the season where the time between patches is longest meant the bug took much longer to resolve than necessary. The next patch is not a month out, it should be much much sooner.

Kaiber

03-05-2014

Just want to make sure this is the issue I'm experiencing. About every time I'm close to death and the enemy player is going in for the kill, my screen will freeze for about a second. When my screen unfreezes I am dead. I have had this happen a few times when I didnt die, but it is extremely annoying when I know I could have used an ability or flash to get away safely.

I do understand I'm going to die most of the time, but there are the few occasions when I had something to save my life.. :/

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

03-05-2014
6 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiber View Post
Just want to make sure this is the issue I'm experiencing. About every time I'm close to death and the enemy player is going in for the kill, my screen will freeze for about a second. When my screen unfreezes I am dead. I have had this happen a few times when I didnt die, but it is extremely annoying when I know I could have used an ability or flash to get away safely.

I do understand I'm going to die most of the time, but there are the few occasions when I had something to save my life.. :/
Yes this is the issue. However, I'd like to stress once more than when your screen freezes YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD. The game is chugging because it processing rendering the DeathRecap screen for you. You don't look dead (the game hasn't put it on the screen yet) but the server has already determined you are dead. There is nothing in LoL that does anything like "death prediction". The only way this puts you at a gameplay disadvantage is if you are a character who can quickly do things after they die (kog can move, karth can cast spells, yoric, zyra, etc)