Rengar Rework Strikes Back

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CRG SyntheSis

02-27-2014

When can we expect this to be implemented, Scruf?

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

02-27-2014
30 of 48 Riot Posts

Hey its been a little while but we have been testing and iterating on this kit a ton. Here's an update to some of the recent changes.

-Ferocity Q giving back energy wasn't actually creating a good finisher choice, it was just deferring the decision to choose what finisher you want. We have removed the ferocity refund and focused it into a pure damage focused finisher. Currently gives a huge attack speed buff.

-Second stealth on R was creating some cool moments for Rengar, but it was having a far worse impact on the experience of Rengar's opponents. 2 Move blocks and 2 stealths were creating a situation where there was no viable option to play against Rengar's dive. We are going to try some more straightforward solutions here that will allow Rengar to dive and escape without creating as much frustration and confusion for the opponents.

-W armor and MR now gains ~50% bonus for every champion hit. This specifically gives him some more survivability in the team fights, where he can sometimes struggle.

Overall the new patter with fast and clear ferocity buildup has been testing super well. His flow is greatly improved and he has clear ways to get to the finishers he wants.

No details on release date that I can share yet but we are making very strong progress.

discog

02-27-2014

Quote:
-Second stealth on R was creating some cool moments for Rengar, but it was having a far worse impact on the experience of Rengar's opponents. 2 Move blocks and 2 stealths were creating a situation where there was no viable option to play against Rengar's dive. We are going to try some more straightforward solutions here that will allow Rengar to dive and escape without creating as much frustration and confusion for the opponents.
How about instead of stealth, Rengar gets an opportunity to leap at the end of his +MS time? That would give him an escape mechanism that isn't as abusable as a second stealth period.

Also, any updates on the format of Bonetooth Necklace? Last I knew, it was a trinket with a unique active that placed a trap that allowed Rengar to leap on those trapped if within range. Is that still the case?

OneDragonArmy

02-27-2014

So empowered Q no longer refunds 3 ferocity? What do you mean by deferring the choice of finisher?

Not Commando Yi

02-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Hey its been a little while but we have been testing and iterating on this kit a ton. Here's an update to some of the recent changes.

-Ferocity Q giving back energy wasn't actually creating a good finisher choice, it was just deferring the decision to choose what finisher you want. We have removed the ferocity refund and focused it into a pure damage focused finisher. Currently gives a huge attack speed buff.

-W armor and MR now gains ~50% bonus for every champion hit. This specifically gives him some more survivability in the team fights, where he can sometimes struggle.

Overall the new patter with fast and clear ferocity buildup has been testing super well. His flow is greatly improved and he has clear ways to get to the finishers he wants.

No details on release date that I can share yet but we are making very strong progress.
you destroyed skarner and made him unviable

i look forward to you killing rengar

NA Darklarik

02-27-2014

Quote:

BOOOOO
I hate this change to Q (not the R changes, thats cool). I really liked the idea of Rengar being a sustained fighter, longer a fight goes on, the More Qs youi can get out.

Your basicly just making him like he is on live, his Q doing a pure damage with huge attack speed buff (100% AS). How is this a rework? The fundamental problem is that he can Delete someone before they can react, I was really starting to like the Ferocity refund because it looked like a change that would reduce his Burst by increase his dueling and sustained damage output.

Have you tried making it so that if he Fer Q you, he puts a stack on his target that stacks each time he Feroz Qs him, and thus with the FerQ refunding Energy, you can select a target and Q train him with each subsequent EmpQ dealing more and more damage. This would allow him to compete against the current Top lane bruisers that are just dominating top, since they can output consistant damage while Rengar's is all about BURST or DIE. ARgh this change really shoots my hopes down.

From what i take from this update, his core playstyle and problems that he has on live are unchanged. Not liking this at all.

Level 18 Rengar

02-27-2014

Thanks for the update keep it up im actually really looking forward to the rework his kit seems like it will be a good change. I only wish this rework came with a new skin.

Redeemed In Fire

02-27-2014

Quote:
Agh!

I will continue to protest maintaining and or buffing a heal and a pure defensive steroid on a duelist/damage dealer/assassin. I hated seeing tankgar builds, and the more you buff his ability to tank, the more people will do that instead of actually playing him to fit the theme and damage dealer rengar will probably be seen as unviable.

Level 18 Rengar

02-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
Agh!

I will continue to protest maintaining and or buffing a heal and a pure defensive steroid on a duelist/damage dealer/assassin. I hated seeing tankgar builds, and the more you buff his ability to tank, the more people will do that instead of actually playing him to fit the theme and damage dealer rengar will probably be seen as unviable.
As long as im alive full ad rengar will be viable

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

02-27-2014
31 of 48 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDragonArmy View Post
So empowered Q no longer refunds 3 ferocity? What do you mean by deferring the choice of finisher?
What the empowered Q was doing before was basically a regular Q with some ferocity refund. Choosing to press that button was more a choice that "I don't want to choose my finisher yet" rather than "I choose damage." We are shifting it into a more clear "I choose damage" option.