NA and EU stability update

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fewtech

02-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcounter View Post
Riot, maybe you guys can hire some hackers as well to see how they hack and make a better security system against their methods.
It's not hackers but just someone or a group of people using a ddos program to feed tons of bandwidth into Riot's servers, causing the servers to get flooded with unwanted traffic. Hacking would mean they can completely shutdown the servers for a much longer period of time or even something like erase in-game player stats

Tesin

02-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdeathmonk View Post
We have one more game server move planned so expect another ping time change this year for everyone (most players should be much happier).
Any idea where it will be to?

Please Senpai

02-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesin View Post
Any idea where it will be to?
"Most players will be much happier"

I'm assuming he's talking about the east coast players - or at least I'm hoping. I was averaging ~95 ping before the server stability issues, which is fine with me, but with all this happening now I'm sitting at 125 and it's slowly starting to rise. :c

The Hearshot Kid

02-26-2014

Quote:
We are working on getting game servers more centrally located in North America. We can share more on this soon. We are also optimizing our connections to many large ISPs in the USA and Canada which should improve things for everyone in the meantime. A few more were just hooked up just last week. Comcast, Level 3 and Cogent are now in the mix. Key changes coming first is a direct connection to the San Jose, CA and Seattle, WA located Internet Exchanges, this should reduce ping time a bit even for East Coast players (while also improving our DDoS defense). These Internet Exchanges bring us direct connections to many more USA and Canadian ISPs, cable companies, and telecoms than we have directly connected today in NA. Connections are ordered, so not too much longer to wait.

We also have truck loads of game servers built and waiting to be delivered closer to the Eastern US Coast as soon as we nail down the best place to put them to benefit the most NA players. This year for sure, hopefully soon. Won't be able to give everyone in the US 20 msec ping time but I think we will achieve getting most player closer to the same ping time (and still keep almost everyone faster than a Ferrari FXX can shift gears).

-sonicdeathmonk

I want to say thank you for taking the time out to say all this (I read most of the post in this thread, but going backwards lol)

Much appreciated and good luck against the hackers/DDos scrubs.

Tesin

02-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Senpai View Post
"Most players will be much happier"

I'm assuming he's talking about the east coast players - or at least I'm hoping. I was averaging ~95 ping before the server stability issues, which is fine with me, but with all this happening now I'm sitting at 125 and it's slowly starting to rise. :c
Yea hes definately talking about east coasters, servers can't possbily get any closer to west coast then they are now. Was wondering how close they would be to the east coast. Also 95 ping is bad in a competitive game.

ShikigamiSlayer

02-26-2014

Quote:
Could be related to a move of the game servers from Los Angeles area to the Portland Oregon area. We are already optimizing Internet routes and directly connecting to many ISPs and telecoms, so you should be seeing improved ping time soon (a direct connection to Time Warner is in work as well). We have one more game server move planned so expect another ping time change this year for everyone (most players should be much happier).
Are there any plans to have uplinks to RCN? That's my current ISP in PA.

boociferious

02-26-2014

i don't mean to beat a dead horse, but i was just playing a game here player vs ai because i don't feel like playing ranked till this is fixed. and not only did my ping shoot up to 500 for no reason (no high processes running in the background the only program running was league) and i got locked up into place and kicked out of the game. when i tried to reconnect i got the firewall error the first time, and the second one i got the game has crashed please try and reconnect. we all know what this means the servers are under fire again, so heres what i propose. don't give away skins or champions, but give away ip boosts 1 day ip boosts at that to compensate the players. i think that is at least fair, and everyone should be happy with that.

candy wiener

02-26-2014

Quote:
We are sorry
Quote:
We are sorry
Quote:
We are sorry
Quote:
We are sorry
Quote:
We are sorry
Sorry is hokum on the internet, sport.

xXDrumfreakXx

02-26-2014

Quote:
Could be related to a move of the game servers from Los Angeles area to the Portland Oregon area. We are already optimizing Internet routes and directly connecting to many ISPs and telecoms, so you should be seeing improved ping time soon (a direct connection to Time Warner is in work as well). We have one more game server move planned so expect another ping time change this year for everyone (most players should be much happier).
I had no idea that the servers were moved to Portland. Thanks for the quick response and I'm glad to know I finally have an answer.

TheInnocentdevil

02-26-2014

then logically anything thats happened during the past 2 weeks rank wise should be reset considering people are losing games because of these attacks.