NA and EU stability update

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AppleJohns

02-23-2014

Thank you Riot for giving an official statement. It is much appreciated to have a definite answer to what the problems have been. I am sorry about the way the community has reacted, and for the attacks you are receiving. But in good news, I played LoL for a couple hours today with absolutely 0 lag in anyway, shape, or form. So thanks again Riot, keep up the great work!!!

B0ltzZz

02-23-2014

My ping is so bad that they're days where I can't even play. On very good days my ping is 98 and on very bad days it can spike up to 800+ and on average days my ping spikes to 300+ the whole game. I've gotten to the point where I don't even want to play because the game isn't even fun anymore. I live on the east coast, southern Ohio [NA]

sonicdeathmonk

Vice President of Operations

02-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlifts View Post
how about you guys make some east coaster servers? thanks.

there's some people saying it would split the community into east and west? how would that happen? if that does happen, why not just make central servers to be fair to all players?

if i'm getting 150ms (on a bad day) and someone in CA is getting 20ms...how is that fair? with this game being so competitive, how is such an unfair advantage being overlooked?
We are working on getting game servers more centrally located in North America. We can share more on this soon. We are also optimizing our connections to many large ISPs in the USA and Canada which should improve things for everyone in the meantime. A few more were just hooked up just last week. Comcast, Level 3 and Cogent are now in the mix. Key changes coming first is a direct connection to the San Jose, CA and Seattle, WA located Internet Exchanges, this should reduce ping time a bit even for East Coast players (while also improving our DDoS defense). These Internet Exchanges bring us direct connections to many more USA and Canadian ISPs, cable companies, and telecoms than we have directly connected today in NA. Connections are ordered, so not too much longer to wait.

We also have truck loads of game servers built and waiting to be delivered closer to the Eastern US Coast as soon as we nail down the best place to put them to benefit the most NA players. This year for sure, hopefully soon. Won't be able to give everyone in the US 20 msec ping time but I think we will achieve getting most player closer to the same ping time (and still keep almost everyone faster than a Ferrari FXX can shift gears).

-sonicdeathmonk

sonicdeathmonk

02-23-2014
3 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0ltzZz View Post
My ping is so bad that they're days where I can't even play. On very good days my ping is 98 and on very bad days it can spike up to 800+ and on average days my ping spikes to 300+ the whole game. I've gotten to the point where I don't even want to play because the game isn't even fun anymore. I live on the east coast, southern Ohio [NA]
Are you playing on WiFi? What ISP do you use?

-sonicdeathmonk

sonicdeathmonk

02-23-2014
4 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclesatan View Post
if you were keeping up at all, there have been reds admitting for at least 3 weeks now that serious ddos attacks are happening, but meh you just want to *****
To be fair here, we hate talking about security issues and DDoS. Most hackers want the publicity so we don't like to feed the trolls. However the pain does not usually last this long or gets so severe.

-sonicdeathmonk

FlynnOFlenniken

02-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdeathmonk View Post
We are working on getting game servers more centrally located in North America.
I'm more centrally located in North America!

BUAHAHAHAHA YOU WILL ALL BOW BEFORE MY COMING PING

1stkeks

02-23-2014

Quote:
How many Km are you from Frankfurt, Germany? (don't share your city/town name please)
I am about 250 km away from Frankfurt, Germany.
It shouldn't be a problem I think

Funkel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-23-2014

I know this sounds really weird but couldn't you completely prevent these attacks by making accounts that play league of legends log onto their account on the website and register their current IP to be able to log into the client? Other then coding that into the client wouldn't this be as easy as white listing every connection that comes into your servers? It would be a great bit of work to do this I understand but it would resolve your issues as a company is a permanent matter (minus IP cloning) without having to work with multiple other company's to resolve this.

I8D UniBRO

02-23-2014

then why do i still keep getting a loss when i play with 150 when i should get loss forgiven. or just take ranked queue's down. i win a game enemy team gets loss forgiven but when i lose a game i get a defeat not loss forgiven thats just not fair

Deathly Hallows

02-23-2014

Quote:
To be fair here, we hate talking about security issues and DDoS. Most hackers want the publicity so we don't like to feed the trolls. However the pain does not usually last this long or gets so severe.

-sonicdeathmonk
Have you guys notified the police? I understand if it's not something you might be able to discuss, but if that's the case can you just say you can't really give that info?

I'm asking this because I think I speak on behalf of the entire league community including riot when I say that I hate these hackers and ddos'ers , they only annoy people and I hate them. They have made people rage at you, they have made you guys spend so much money I'm sure, made many rioters stressed about their game. They need to be jailed.