Skarner Rework Follow Through

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Siigari

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2014

lol

corals

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karede View Post
holy **** this makes me so angry............................................. ............

Why is there only a minor mana buff to the q, scruffy? Didn"t we talk about buffing his e? Didn"t you tell us that"s what you were going to do this week?

Probably still working on the changes, my guess is that he is working on more substantial changes to the E since its what the community wants.

Locke64

02-19-2014

Quote:
holy **** this makes me so angry............................................. ............

Why is there only a minor mana buff to the q, scruffy? Didn"t we talk about buffing his e? Didn"t you tell us that"s what you were going to do this week?
He said it probably wouldn't make it into this update. It'll probably be in the next one.

P Chro

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalarepa View Post
Small Skarner change on PBE (mana cost on Q reduced):
http://www.reignofgaming.net/news/27383-unofficial-pbe-patch-notes-for-2-19-2014-new

I'm not going to say anything about this, I only hope this is just the begining of Skarner changes.
Oh my god, Jinx (a frequently selected champion who is currently a very very strong ADC) has more buffs than this completely broken Skarner.

Rannndy Marsh

02-19-2014

Quote:

Maybe this is the new one?
http://www.surrenderat20.net/2014/02...be-update.html
Skarner
•Crystal Slash ( Q ) mana cost lowered to 16/18/20/22/24 from 20/22/24/26/28
•Fracture ( E ) slow increased to 45/50/55/60/65 from 30/35/40/45/50

MrFreeze

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
I see a bunch of posts about a mechanic where a Q or auto could extend the E slow. This is actually pretty reasonable and is something that we could do. Realistically if we added this mechanic, we would not be able to buff the slow amount as much. In this case, as a Skarner player, which would you rather have?

-A stronger E slow like proposed with same 2.5s duration

or

-A (less than first option) stronger E slow that can be extended for additional time with Q or auto attack damage

I'm glad that we are having some good suggestions on ways to improve the kit and both of these mechanics could work out well.
That is not the really the issue at all. The problem is that his E does NOT fit his kit at all. Skarner needs to be up close to do damage, and he needs away to get up close. E does not really help as the cooldown is ridiculously long.

What I would suggest, if you want to make it so the Q can apply a slow if hit by E, make it so E's slow is more effective the further away the target is when skarner casts it(similar idea to nid spears except slow instead of damage)or have it leave a trail of Ice behind, kinda like Noc's skill and have it give Skarner a movespeed boost while he is on it.

Then when the opponent gets hit with Skarners Q it reapplies the slow but with diminishing returns.

Not really sure if these are viable, but his E just feels out of place in his kit and it always has.

Shahamut

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahamut View Post
Im posting it again: My thoughts for a rework without perma slow: (Put his base attack speed back up)

PASSIVE: Energize

This passive remains the same. It is awesome.

(Q)CRYSTAL SLASH

Skarner lashes out and strikes enemies around him. Hitting at least 1 enemy with this attack will charge Skarner with Crystal Energy, throwing him into a frenzy and increasing his attack and movement speed. Stacks last 5 seconds and fall off one at a time. As long as Skarner has stacks remaining, his Crystal Slash deals bonus magic damage.

Physical Damage: 20/40/60/80/100(+60% AD)

Magic Damage: 20/30/40/50/60(+60% AP)

Attack/Movement Speed: 7/9/11/13/15%
Max Bonus: (21/27/33/39/45%)

My thoughts: Since we no longer get the permaslow, sticking to his target is a priority. Giving him the crazy chasing power through movement speed will give him that without the need for an instant gap close. (Which I prefer, cuz its differnt) This means he will still have less actual time to dish out consistent damage, so I buffed the damage a bit.

(W)CRYSTAL EXOSKELETON

Skarner's exoskeleton hardens and protects him, granting armor and magic resist. Charging his body with crystal energy will allow him to heal wounds and take less damage.

Passive: 5/10/15/25/30 bonus armor/magic resist

Active: Skarner gains a shield for for up to 6 seconds. While the shield remains active, he regenerates health.

Shield: 50/100/150/200/250(+90%AP)

Health Regen: 1/2/3/4/5%+(1%AP)% missing health per second.

My Thoughts: One thing Skarner lost was any real form of sustain. Keeping with the crystal energy theme, I thought wrapping himself in energy should do more than just provide a shield. Now having the movement speed attached to Q, I put sustain back in the kit in the form of some armor/magic resist and health regen. Lower shield with slightly higher ap ratio means AP skarner can still make this shield worth something. Because its based on missing health, it will scale all the way through the game. not much regen when health is high, slightly stronger when low.

(E)FRACTURE

Skarner lets out a short distance but powerful blast of crystal energy toward his opponents. Opponents hit are wracked and marked by the energy for 5 seconds, slowing there attack and movement speed while the mark remains. If Skarner deals damage to a marked target, the mark is consumed and the target is stunned.

Damage: 60/120/180/240/300(+70%AP)

Slow Amount: 5/10/15/20/25%

Stun Duration: .6/.7/.8/.9/1 second.

My Thoughts: Taking the range away from this skill and making it a burst of energy in front of him. The slow is not really that dramatic, but with the mark, it offers another decent option to peel with. Upped the damage because Skarner's Kit needs more of it.

(R)IMPALE

Skarner grabs an opponent with his tail and pumps crystal energy into them, suppressing them. While he has them, he can move freely and drag his opponent with him. After a moment, the energy built up inside the target explodes, damaging nearby enemies and applies the slow/mark from Fracture to the main target.

Suppression Duration: 1.5/1.75/2 seconds.

Initial Damage: 100/150/200(+50%AD)(+55%AP)

Secondary Damage: 100/150/200(+55%AP)

My Thoughts: Less Drag early, more late game. I always thought since Skarner was a hybrid champ and he STABS him with his tail, that the inital damage should have some AD boost on top. Given the flair that I described, making the secondary damage a small AoE that applies fracture slow/mark adds for some fun mechanics and options. I also felt this skill was pretty lack luster damage wise as an ULT. so I raised the ratio's just slightly.

I think this would keep Skarner's predatory feel intact while removing the permaslow. It allows for good counter play, and can make skarner a viable pick at all ranks of play.
repost. Because this is better than the current skarner...

corals

02-19-2014

Is his slow better on the pbe?

BrickRocket

02-19-2014

his E can snare the people for 2.5 seconds and it wont make skarner viable.

he needs a way to stick to his targets. once the slow wears off he has nothing.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

02-19-2014
22 of 29 Riot Posts

Hey, the patch deadline came fast for us so we were only able to do low scope balance changes (no mechanics), but here's what is on pbe:

-Q mana cost reduced from 20/22/24/26/28 to 16/18/20/22/24
-E slow amount increased from 30/35/40/45/50% to 45/50/55/60/65%

These are up on pbe, so check him out and bring your feedback back about the changes.

-Scruffy