DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Explissit

02-19-2014

But will Riot be compensating its users for the weeks of lag and disconnects recently? Whether it be IP bonuses or Free RP or whatever. I don't mind either way, but I've seen a lot of people asking about this and I've had other companies do it before so I'm just curious if Riot will do the same.

RiotGradius

Associate Information Security Engineer

02-19-2014
17 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRawr View Post
I don't know, I was getting disconnected from games but I was still Skyping with my friends that I was playing with the whole time. .-.
Yup, that's where multiple Internet routes come in. The route that your Skype traffic was taking was more than likely different than your traffic to the LoL servers, which is why Skype was working, but you were still getting disconnected. That's why this is such a complex problem to understand from a player perspective, because on the their end, it looks like everything is okay EXCEPT for LoL. (Also Skype uses some peer to peer networking which also might have saved you depending on where your friends are.)

Rauron

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRawr View Post
I don't know, I was getting disconnected from games but I was still Skyping with my friends that I was playing with the whole time. .-.
This is always so frustrating, and it's the sort of thing that has been happening to me more often lately. When I see the "attempting to reconnect" bar come up, I'll alt+tab and see that Twitter and Pandora are still working just fine in terms of sending/receiving information. If it was an issue on my end, at least there would be the chance to do something about it, but with this string of problems lately all I can really do is sit around and wait for a fix.

iCheech

02-19-2014

Hey Gradius! I just wanted to make this post to let you know that I 100% support the efforts you and Riot are making in order to stop these attacks. Its obvious its a large scale problem and very difficult to find a solution, yet I will remain patient with you guys. In over a year of playing LoL, Riot never let me down and I know you guys will figure this monster out! Goodluck Gradius and the rest of Riot.

Ailuridae

02-19-2014

I guess this stuff has been going on for a long time, but it seems like these sort of attacks on major games are becoming more frequent as the tools that make these sort of problems happen are made easier to use. What exactly happens though? Does Riot just deal with the problem and fix it, or is there some stuff that goes on after you fix the problem? I'm probably not wording it right, but I guess what I'm trying to ask is there someone out there whose job it is to find the people responsible for the downtime and punish them via law system? Is there even some sort of punishment outside of the game for this?

Ryokosan

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
Yup, I've wanted to find the right post to start a conversation in... but so many of them are "RIOT FIX YOUR SERVERS" .. and I really wanted to have a dialog, rather than a storm of that sort of message.

I don't mind chatting with you all (I'd actually prefer it over staying quiet), and I'd really like to address any questions that I can. I'll be honest, it's a ****ty situation to be in, and myself along with a lot of other Rioters, as well as other industry professionals are trying to solve this problem as a whole rather than slowly crawling our ACLS up our provider lists. It really does make me sad that any of your games get ruined because of a DDOS, which is even more motivation to kick our butts into high gear and get this problem solved.

u know your job. in my opinion, keep doing it, and the situation looks like s*** but, oh well, s*** happens.... GL in solving this problem

ThomasTerminator

02-19-2014

Has the network team thought about using services like Prolexic or some other DDOS protection if they can't solve it by themselves?

Ryokosan

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasTerminator View Post
Has the network team thought about using services like Prolexic or some other DDOS protection if they can't solve it by themselves?

I dont think its easy to solve it by any means of ways you do it. you just need GOD patience and focus and of course knowing what are you doing haha

Bazaam

02-19-2014

Hey Gradius,
So last night my friends and I were playing ARAM... about 5 minutes in we were just absolutely dominating, like 10-0, and suddenly... my entire team disconnects, except for me. Meanwhile, not a single person on the enemy team DC'd. The enemies proceeded to push for game, taunting me in the process ("gg easy" and the like)
What would have caused this? Was the other team DDOSing our game? Or was it just random bad luck that my whole team dc'd and theirs didn't?
I know the theory and process of DDOS, but very little about the details of how it works mechanically, so sorry if it's a dumb question.

LethaI

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2014

Goodluck riot