Alright, So be it.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phetusytr

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
I'd rather not port a discussion over from another thread (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...64888#45264888), but in terms of working on server stability related to DDOS attacks, this is a great discussion to be a part of.

As others have stated in this thread, I would rather not place a giant Red post on the top of the forums, detailing out the current situation. I'm trying to spend my time replying to individual threads and get a constructive discussion going. I agree though, our communication on the issue has been less than stellar, and I'm working to remediate that as much as I can Feel free to toss questions my way here, or in the other thread.
ok so my 1st question is this. why did i have to find out this was a ddos attack from a fellow player, after thinking this was riots fault for having ****ty servers? why has riot made a public announcement to its players that it is under attack? it might do something to lessen the whole " screw this im playin dota2" craze that is going around

second question. does riot think this is an attack from dota2 to destabilize the fan base, or by players of the game that hold a grudge against the clearly superior game? (ok maybe biased a little but idc, i have played both and prefer the controls/look/and champion feel of league)

Coldhands

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkcraNe View Post
@coldhands

its people like you who ***** at riot that makes this community look like full *******.
This isn't the first time Riot servers have crashed so why does it keep happening? With 600 million you would think Riot can actually prevent things like this.

Phetusytr

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phetusytr View Post
ok so my 1st question is this. why did i have to find out this was a ddos attack from a fellow player, after thinking this was riots fault for having ****ty servers? why has riot made a public announcement to its players that it is under attack? it might do something to lessen the whole " screw this im playin dota2" craze that is going around

second question. does riot think this is an attack from dota2 to destabilize the fan base, or by players of the game that hold a grudge against the clearly superior game? (ok maybe biased a little but idc, i have played both and prefer the controls/look/and champion feel of league)
just want to say, i seem to have a knack for getting the first post on the next page of a thread, this is like the 5th time in 2 days, and i have only posted on these forums maybe 10-15 times in the 2 years i have been playing lol(laughing out loud)

Mine Jump

02-18-2014

Quote:
I'd rather not port a discussion over from another thread (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...64888#45264888), but in terms of working on server stability related to DDOS attacks, this is a great discussion to be a part of.

As others have stated in this thread, I would rather not place a giant Red post on the top of the forums, detailing out the current situation. I'm trying to spend my time replying to individual threads and get a constructive discussion going. I agree though, our communication on the issue has been less than stellar, and I'm working to remediate that as much as I can Feel free to toss questions my way here, or in the other thread.

So what you're saying is that you're not going to give out details on why your service (for which many of us pay) has been spotty, but that you agree that this is an issue that should be discussed. Your goal is to respond to individual inquiries except if those individual inquiries are on a subject you are not willing to discuss. Seeing a riot post in a thread will lead everyone who reads these forums to expect resolution, but you have no such resolution to give.

How exactly is this line of conversation supposed to be constructive? If you have any explanation as to the why and how of our service being disrupted, please do tell. But if you're just establishing yourself as a figurehead unladen by useful information or even courteous platitudes, by all means feel free to talk about hamsters for the next 3 pages while we all debate why we continue to pay for your services.

Phetusytr

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Jump View Post
So what you're saying is that you're not going to give out details on why your service (for which many of us pay) has been spotty, but that you agree that this is an issue that should be discussed. Your goal is to respond to individual inquiries except if those individual inquiries are on a subject you are not willing to discuss. Seeing a riot post in a thread will lead everyone who reads these forums to expect resolution, but you have no such resolution to give.

How exactly is this line of conversation supposed to be constructive? If you have any explanation as to the why and how of our service being disrupted, please do tell. But if you're just establishing yourself as a figurehead unladen by useful information or even courteous platitudes, by all means feel free to talk about hamsters for the next 3 pages while we all debate why we continue to pay for your services.
i think he is saying hes not making an official redpost thread of his own, prefering to deal directly with questions directed at him. he has been at this all night, i saw several post from him earlier on another thread. so pleas be kind and just ask any questions you may have about the situation.

Dream Kitten

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhands View Post
This isn't the first time Riot servers have crashed so why does it keep happening? With 600 million you would think Riot can actually prevent things like this.
Quote:
It's not that this a new issue, it's an old issue with new scale. Technically, we could throw money at it and buy more bandwidth, but that's only a temporary solution, and doesn't buy anyone much in terms of stability. As your bandwidth grows, so does the attacker's. This is why we have to find more solutions than just throwing money at it. This is why we have to work with other companies and groups in the Information Security industry, because of the magnitude of these recent attacks. We want this to be more complex than a bandwidth arms race.
Money wont really help, as RoitGradius explains.

Dat Zangetsu

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhands View Post
Then again, not even billion-dollar corporations can prevent DDoS attacks on their websites, they can only respond to them and recover.

I'd like to keep this discussion on the attacks themselves and any corrective action being taken by Riot, or on any other players thoughts on Riot's handling of the issue on the communication side.

Complaining about "X amount dollars... servers still ****" doesn't add any worthwhile content to the discussion, and actually continues to make the implication that this is all Riot's fault. An implication I believe to be false, at least with regards to the attacks themselves.

RiotGradius

Associate Information Security Engineer

02-18-2014
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Jump View Post

Any time I post, I try and set expectations that this is not something that we can fix in a small frame of time, but it is something we're working around the clock on solving. I don't want anyone to think that I'm promising a fix, because that's not something that I can do.

As for constructive discussion, I've had a lot of good conversations about DDOS attacks holistically, but of course we can't give out very specific information as to how we're attacking the problem. If I did that, that only allows the attacker to have one less step to take when formulating their next attack.

Mine Jump

02-19-2014

Quote:
Any time I post, I try and set expectations that this is not something that we can fix in a small frame of time, but it is something we're working around the clock on solving. I don't want anyone to think that I'm promising a fix, because that's not something that I can do.

As for constructive discussion, I've had a lot of good conversations about DDOS attacks holistically, but of course we can't give out very specific information as to how we're attacking the problem. If I did that, that only allows the attacker to have one less step to take when formulating their next attack.
Frankly, this was exactly the kind of post I was looking for. Thanks Gradius. I wasn't asking for specifics on how to attack Riot (as that would be counter-productive to my night off), I was really looking for an explanation as to how serious the situation was - information which you have promptly provided.

Go Riot. <3

Misolini

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2014

I know here its not the place for this but please Riot look at the treads we are all stuck in Reconnect button..we click it but now allowed us to reconnect HELP...