Alright, So be it.

First Riot Post
123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Subdue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

You boycott something because you want the people in charge of that something to make a change. Do you think Riot wants these disconnects to happen? Do you think they're not looking for a fix? The DDoS attacks are not just attacking Riot, but the ISPs themselves. Riot has no control over that. None. Zero. If you're leaving, then you're leaving. This post and your boycott "to cause change" is pointless.

Dat Zangetsu

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdue View Post
You boycott something because you want the people in charge of that something to make a change. Do you think Riot wants these disconnects to happen? Do you think they're not looking for a fix? The DDoS attacks are not just attacking Riot, but the ISPs themselves. Riot has no control over that. None. Zero. If you're leaving, then you're leaving. This post and your boycott "to cause change" is pointless.
But there is a point. The cause of these issues may very well be out of their control, but their response to those issues, and especially their response time, and how they go about relaying any related information to the community, is *entirely* under their control. And I think that they have failed at that over the past few weeks.

I'm not suggesting Riot should be impervious to DDoS attacks, but with the frequency of their occurrence of late, they should absolutely be able to react more quickly and professionally.

Dr Wu

02-18-2014

I have never experienced this in any other game.. Not for more than a day or two. My facetious thread suggesting RIOT hunt down and kill the hackers responsible was deleted, so someone is paying attention. RIOT, this is how a game dies. It may seem like you're impervious to player frustration, but the longer this goes on, the more people will look for other options.

Subdue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Zangetsu View Post
But there is a point. The cause of these issues may very well be out of their control, but their response to those issues, and especially their response time, and how they go about relaying any related information to the community, is *entirely* under their control. And I think that they have failed at that over the past few weeks.

I'm not suggesting Riot should be impervious to DDoS attacks, but with the frequency of their occurrence of late, they should absolutely be able to react more quickly and professionally.
What do DDoS attackers get out of attacking LoL? Attention. Notoriety. The best approach Riot can take is to deprive them of that attention. Making a bunch of posts on the subject is only going to fuel more attacks, and in no way creates any sort of solution to the problem. In fact, it may even exacerbate the problem by giving the attackers more incentive to keep attacking!

And furthermore, what exactly do you, as a consumer, get out of them explaining a DDoS attack to you? Can you fix the issue for them? No. Can you prevent them from being attacked in the future? No. Will you even understand the technical aspects of the attacks that are being made on them? Probably not. So really, what you're asking for is for them to spend their time and resources explaining something to you that you probably won't understand and definitely won't be able to do anything about anyway, while at the same time giving their attackers the attention they crave and even more reason to attack them.

Sounds like a plan.

Dat Zangetsu

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdue View Post
What do DDoS attackers get out of attacking LoL? Attention. Notoriety. The best approach Riot can take is to deprive them of that attention. Making a bunch of posts on the subject is only going to fuel more attacks, and in no way creates any sort of solution to the problem. In fact, it may even exacerbate the problem by giving the attackers more incentive to keep attacking!

And furthermore, what exactly do you, as a consumer, get out of them explaining a DDoS attack to you? Can you fix the issue for them? No. Can you prevent them from being attacked in the future? No. Will you even understand the technical aspects of the attacks that are being made on them? Probably not. So really, what you're asking for is for them to spend their time and resources explaining something to you that you probably won't understand and definitely won't be able to do anything about anyway, while at the same time giving their attackers the attention they crave and even more reason to attack them.

Sounds like a plan.
It's not about whether or not the community can do anything about it, the point of communication with the playerbase is to *retain* that playerbase. The longer I have to wait to hear what the situation is from those that know it, and their plans to rectify the issue, the less faith I'm going to have in those individuals that they can actually do anything about it, or plan to. And that means players leaving.

Dat Zangetsu

02-18-2014

Bump.

Dream Kitten

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Zangetsu View Post

How would you have liked to have seen them relay their information more effectively to the community?

RiotGradius

Associate Information Security Engineer

02-18-2014
1 of 2 Riot Posts

I'd rather not port a discussion over from another thread (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...64888#45264888), but in terms of working on server stability related to DDOS attacks, this is a great discussion to be a part of.

As others have stated in this thread, I would rather not place a giant Red post on the top of the forums, detailing out the current situation. I'm trying to spend my time replying to individual threads and get a constructive discussion going. I agree though, our communication on the issue has been less than stellar, and I'm working to remediate that as much as I can Feel free to toss questions my way here, or in the other thread.

arkcraNe

02-18-2014

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=4295699

give this a read while you're at it too.

Coldhands

02-18-2014

Where did the 624 million go towards? Certainly not these servers.
Why have the servers not been fixed with a staff as large as Riot in the the span of 3 days?
When will Riot balance League of Legends so it doesn't consist of the same 30 viable champions?
How does League not have a replay system when Starcraft did and that **** came out in 1998?
Does the money go the things we call "esports"?

123456 ... 7