DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Extrinsick

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex IV View Post
I guess that blows the theory the guy I was quoting has out of the water.

Time to spread your NA eggs out instead of keeping them all in one basket don't you think? This isn't likely to stop with what little you're working with now.

Servers need to be provided for - they'd still be vulnerable to attacks that are "upstream" if you will. Also, that's highly unpractical.

The Inspectre

02-19-2014

How much can be done by Riot about the security issues at the provider level?

Bribaryan

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex IV View Post
I guess that blows the theory the guy I was quoting has out of the water.

Time to spread your NA eggs out instead of keeping them all in one basket don't you think? This isn't likely to stop with what little you're working with now.
Looks like Triggs should send his paycheck to Vortex.

Linna Excel

02-19-2014

So how are you guys notified something like this is happening? It's got to be getting late over there so I imagine it to be a phone call at home in the middle of the night or something like that.

I've had a family member who's had to do on-call tech support in the past and even the light stuff tends to be a PITA.

Vocust

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2014

I don't know much about networking or internet servers but could this be the reason for the past couple months why my ping will jump up to 1-3 thousand every couple of minutes?

RiotGradius

Associate Information Security Engineer

02-19-2014
11 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubz650 View Post
I'll admit I'm not an expert by any means, but why can't the company that runs the most popular video game in the world just throw enough money at the issue to resolve it? Can't they just purchase more ISPs, more security infrastructure? Hire people to find and stop the attackers? They surely have more resources than the attackers do, they should use them.

Sure these things take time, but its not like this is a new issue, they should've seen this coming, no?

Its gotten to the point recently that more times than not the game is 100% unplayable. Starting to get frustrating.
I guess the beauty of competition is that alternatives exist.
It's not that this a new issue, it's an old issue with new scale. Technically, we could throw money at it and buy more bandwidth, but that's only a temporary solution, and doesn't buy anyone much in terms of stability. As your bandwidth grows, so does the attacker's. This is why we have to find more solutions than just throwing money at it. This is why we have to work with other companies and groups in the Information Security industry, because of the magnitude of these recent attacks. We want this to be more complex than a bandwidth arms race.

Sir Lemewinks

02-19-2014

Is there any effort to find the people behind the DDOS attacks? And is it illegal/will they get jail time if they are caught out?

JayPope

02-19-2014

Hey Rioters, had a quick question that I am not completely sure if relevant to what has been going on within the past week or not but I thought i'd give it a shot. So before the servers have been having troubles due to the DDOS I was always around 105 ping. I tried absolutely everything to get rid of it but nothing worked even though I live in the center of the country instead of east (where this ping is more common). However, after the first issue a few days ago one of the Riot Posts stated that you were talking with different ISPs to deal with the issue, and ever since then my ping has dropped to a constant 58(of course it's just a bad as everyone else when the DDOS happens). I was wondering if there was some sort of change with the ISPs that may have fixed some ping issues for people in the center of the US or was this unintentional?

Extrinsick

02-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocust View Post
I don't know much about networking or internet servers but could this be the reason for the past couple months why my ping will jump up to 1-3 thousand every couple of minutes?
That seems like a local problem. Area congestion or even LAN congestion can cause this. Firewalls or a bad port setup can too.

LORD ZEUS 1

02-19-2014

will riot make a better server system that block ddos attacks? Because your really pissing off the player that play this game.