DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr EloHell

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
Yup, I've wanted to find the right post to start a conversation in... but so many of them are "RIOT FIX YOUR SERVERS" .. and I really wanted to have a dialog, rather than a storm of that sort of message.

I don't mind chatting with you all (I'd actually prefer it over staying quiet), and I'd really like to address any questions that I can. I'll be honest, it's a ****ty situation to be in, and myself along with a lot of other Rioters, as well as other industry professionals are trying to solve this problem as a whole rather than slowly crawling our ACLS up our provider lists. It really does make me sad that any of your games get ruined because of a DDOS, which is even more motivation to kick our butts into high gear and get this problem solved.
so is someone ddos the server or just server problems?

WayneChaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-18-2014

@riot, are you planning to take any legal actions against the ddosers? surely this is illegal?

Triggs

NOC Technician

02-18-2014
9 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathamos View Post
Do you know if uninstalling the game entirely, then reinstalling and allowing it to reupdate would have any affect on whats going on with the 'stuck in a game that already ended and that you cannot reconnect to,' problem? Or would it just be a waste of time because it doesn't have to do with anything the program downloaded? I don't understand and wont try to understand what these attacks are if they are DDOS or whatever. But I didn't know if possibly whatever is wrong could be stored in the downloaded game data of the game storage in the LOL file or if it strickly online having to do with the servers and therefore completely refreshing it might do anything
No, it's not a local problem.

beno55555

02-18-2014

i log into forums.oce and frequently getting error 500

Icovarius

02-18-2014

I don't really want to hijack this thread, but I'd like to request Gradius or Triggs to look at my thread here. That is, if either of you are applicable for that specific matter >.<

BDubz650

02-18-2014

I'll admit I'm not an expert by any means, but why can't the company that runs the most popular video game in the world just throw enough money at the issue to resolve it? Can't they just purchase more ISPs, more security infrastructure? Hire people to find and stop the attackers? They surely have more resources than the attackers do, they should use them.

Sure these things take time, but its not like this is a new issue, they should've seen this coming, no?

Its gotten to the point recently that more times than not the game is 100% unplayable. Starting to get frustrating.
I guess the beauty of competition is that alternatives exist.

Takaii

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Triggs View Post
Loss prevented is manually turned on by the department I work in (the NOC). It's usually done after we verify it's a large scale issue because it has a significant impact on that server. It shuts down ranked for everyone online. It tags any games currently in progress, and even if we shut it off before that game ends, it still applies. There is always a small % of players who's game ends in the few minutes it takes us to verify the severity of the incident.
Is there any way to do some sort of retrograde Loss Prevention for tonight's issues so that games that were lost before the issue was confirmed can be reversed? Many of us including myself have lost Promo Series due to DCs tonight.

Unfortunately not.

Triggs

NOC Technician

02-18-2014
10 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex IV View Post
Common sense solution, matchmake people together on the same server so that doesn't happen. It'll still happen in party situations but it can't be perfect.
All players in a game play on the same game server.

Labcown

02-18-2014

Quote:
You should always use a secure, long, hard to guess password. Using this site: https://howsecureismypassword.net/ (probably want to get past 1 month.) Also, use two factor auth anywhere you can. However, this has nothing to do with them access your personal information. DDoS attacks basically jam too many packets into a pipe. Like trying to put too many cars on a freeway.
6 thousand years ^_^

please remind me to change my password by season 6004, would hate for my account to be stolen then.

Vortex IV

02-18-2014

Quote:
All players in a game play on the same game server.
I guess that blows the theory the guy I was quoting has out of the water.

Time to spread your NA eggs out instead of keeping them all in one basket don't you think? This isn't likely to stop with what little you're working with now.