DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

oOTritonOo

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Triggs View Post
You should always use a secure, long, hard to guess password. Using this site: https://howsecureismypassword.net/ (probably want to get past 1 month.) Also, use two factor auth anywhere you can. However, this has nothing to do with them access your personal information. DDoS attacks basically jam too many packets into a pipe. Like trying to put too many cars on a freeway.
Or too big of a turd in the toilet. Pipelines and all that. Internet being a series of tubes.

The Core Augur

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusAudley View Post
Weird to ask to get hired when you literally link a website that one of the Rioters in this thread ALREADY LINKED.
Shots fired.

Tanosu

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia View Post
Do you know why so many of us are still stuck in games that have already been completed? I've been stuck for almost an hour now...
I think that's a note to be taken to those possibly trying to start games. If you do by chance get in, or wait long enough at champ select to do so, you may just be in the dark until the entire ordeal is resolved or a Rioter updates us.

Moreover, this was a thread of informing the curious and general discussion. Anything less civil than that really has no reason or place here, imo. Then it'll likely just be locked.

I much rather see more Riot posts over childish disputes over unrelated topics.

ShadowTwinky

02-18-2014

Hope we got loss forgiven. Good luck fixing the problem!

The Best Annie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTwinky View Post
Hope we got loss forgiven. Good luck fixing the problem!
Damn Straight

Extrinsick

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Core Augur View Post
Shots fired.
Best

RoyaiChaos

02-18-2014

Quote:
You should always use a secure, long, hard to guess password. Using this site: https://howsecureismypassword.net/ (probably want to get past 1 month.) Also, use two factor auth anywhere you can. However, this has nothing to do with them access your personal information. DDoS attacks basically jam too many packets into a pipe. Like trying to put too many cars on a freeway.
729 octillion years... yeah I think I'm safe

Triggs

NOC Technician

02-18-2014
8 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drezak View Post
Anyways quick question. How are you guys going about Loss Prevention with these attacks? Do you turn it on as soon as you see it happening or wait a bit? I see a lot of people complaining about losing because of the attacks but I feel like you guys would turn it on as soon as you see it happening...

Other question would be any timeline on fixing the issue? I'd assume you wouldn't know this answer quite yet.
Loss prevented is manually turned on by the department I work in (the NOC). It's usually done after we verify it's a large scale issue because it has a significant impact on that server. It shuts down ranked for everyone online. It tags any games currently in progress, and even if we shut it off before that game ends, it still applies. There is always a small % of players who's game ends in the few minutes it takes us to verify the severity of the incident.

MiztixPlayer

02-18-2014

well riot pls fix this as fast as possible..

Jacbo

02-18-2014

Quote:
So not only do Rioters have to deal with DDoS traffic, they have to drive near Los Angeles, ouch. Also hm, apparently my password takes 355 billion years to guess, but it only took me a second. I've done good work, I should take the billenium off, play some League.

It's good to hear more information on the source of the issues, best of luck on solidifying the upstream, long term solution.