DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vortex IV

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scyphozoa View Post
Technically, they have two gateways (both in SoCal). But evidently that isn't enough.
"Both in SoCal" is the problem.

DAKOTARIFT

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
It's been an idea, but I've decided rather than posting a blanket announcement, I would rather reply to multiple threads and try to explain as many aspects of the situation as possible, and address the concerns at multiple levels, rather than potentially driving the conversation myself.
And you believe this helps you save face as a company? I really appreciate you coming forth and responding to this thread, but try to take the initiative and address the issues first-hand. I've read other threads where your support engineers are trying to state high latency issues are due to user ISP faults...I'm sorry Riot but you guys have been and continue to do a poor job at keeping and maintaining network security/stability.

Orojanza

02-18-2014

I have always wondered what people get out of DDoS attacks. I know that they don't actually get information, but what motivates the attacks? XD

YourNephew

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

I believe I was DDosed in my last game. I can give you the names of the people I believe are responsible for it if you want.

There was a duo queue team consisting of a silver and unranked (the unranked was bronze last season and only had 200 total wins) with almost perfect winrates, playing in a game with platinums and golds. It was pretty obvious judging by the way they played that they shouldn't have had those records. They were so bad that my team actually ended up winning 4v5 because my internet was crashed 5 times throughout the game.

Just Mid

02-18-2014

Quote:
Loss prevented is intended to be an automatic thing when our service level goes below that of what we'd expect. You should see those changes apply fairly quickly (though, I'm not an expert in that area, I mostly just see the emails fly by with "Loss prevented is being enabled")

As for a timeline, that's hard to say since we're looking at a problem that's a huge scale. Just know that we're working tirelessly to get this under control. We want the network to be stable as bad as everyone else does
Thank you so much for this. I've been waiting so long for a Rioter to finally comment on this so that people can understand the problem. All I see are threads where everyone complains and it gets me so frustrated after a while. I just wish people knew more about things before making assumptions. I really hope this thread stays up for a while and that people take the time to read it. Hell I wish you made a thread and stickied it. But yeah. You guys have been communicating with us more and more and we all appreciate it. I'm just sorry that a lot of people on here are a bit.. impatient. Plz love us more than reddit ;_;

xDunk Squadx

02-18-2014

Quote:
Hello, just wanted to see if I could drum up some conversations about the nature of DDOS attacks and what kind of scale we're seeing. The attacks that have recently taken place on many different Internet services are quite large because of a very specific flaw in the NTP protocol. These attacks are called reflection attacks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-...Spoofed_attack).

What's difficult to deal with when it comes to DDOS attacks is that the larger the attacks become, the easier it is for the attacker to completely consume all bandwidth available for a specific provider. What this means is that any Internet service that this provider has under them is also unable to communicate back to the Internet. As the attacks become larger, we block them farther and farther up the provider levels, until we're working with Tier 1 ISPs to implement access control lists that prevent these attacks. Here's some more information from Cloudflare about the recent NTP Reflection DDOSes (http://blog.cloudflare.com/understan...d-ddos-attacks)

Us networking guys at Riot are not only working internally to find a solution to this problem, but we're also working with the Information Security industry as a whole to improve the situation. We're working to find a tech solution to block the attacks as they're ongoing, and fixing the underlying problem of open/unpatched NTP servers on the Internet.

Please feel free to toss any questions my way that you might have, I would love to have a chat with everyone about this and answer as much as I can.
Actualy NTP is easily avoided and is your own fault for not protecting your server

DNS Reflect is so 2013 XD

For you riot

http://blog.cloudflare.com/understan...d-ddos-attacks

please hire me this stuff is easy.

The Core Augur

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Triggs View Post
You should always use a secure, long, hard to guess password. Using this site: https://howsecureismypassword.net/ (probably want to get past 1 month.) Also, use two factor auth anywhere you can. However, this has nothing to do with them access your personal information. DDoS attacks basically jam too many packets into a pipe. Like trying to put too many cars on a freeway.
Woo. I beat ya to the punch! (And we even used the same metaphor. We're so simpatico we should date.)

*Blows a raspberry at. =P*

vcid

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDunk Squadx View Post
Actualy NTP is easily avoided and is your own fault for not protecting your server

DNS Reflect is so 2013 XD

For you riot

http://blog.cloudflare.com/understan...d-ddos-attacks

please hire me this stuff is easy.
lol, hopefully they see your post. they missed mine

Zathamos

Recruiter

02-18-2014

Do you know if uninstalling the game entirely, then reinstalling and allowing it to reupdate would have any affect on whats going on with the 'stuck in a game that already ended and that you cannot reconnect to,' problem? Or would it just be a waste of time because it doesn't have to do with anything the program downloaded? I don't understand and wont try to understand what these attacks are if they are DDOS or whatever. But I didn't know if possibly whatever is wrong could be stored in the downloaded game data of the game storage in the LOL file or if it strickly online having to do with the servers and therefore completely refreshing it might do anything

BananaBandanaMan

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNephew View Post
I believe I was DDosed in my last game. I can give you the names of the people I believe are responsible for it if you want.

There was a duo queue team consisting of a silver and unranked (the unranked was bronze last season and only had 200 total wins) with almost perfect winrates, playing in a game with platinums and golds. It was pretty obvious judging by the way they played that they shouldn't have had those records. They were so bad that my team actually ended up winning 4v5 because my internet was crashed 5 times throughout the game.
you tried this in your own thread. didnt work there so dont troll this one. Riot has bigger issues than who you want to point fingers at