DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Trollolo

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser676 View Post
You likely won't be allowed to answer this question, but the group claiming responsibility have said they would stop if you asked them to stop. At what point does this become an option?
Real...

gr8job

02-18-2014

All I can imagine at Riot HQ is red lights flashing, people running everywhere frantically, papers flying in the air, screaming.

They say it's a crappy situation, and it sure is for business, but the problem-solvers must be having a field day with this puzzle.

Irshadowz

02-18-2014

thx for working on it riot, keep up the good work!

Buhzurk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

Does Riot have any plans on combating against Bot of Legends?

Noob3rts

02-18-2014

Is this the worst attack to date?
Do you know who is behind it?
Do you know why him/her/they are doing it?
Have they tried to contact you?
Or are they just damn Yordles?

Keep up the good work. <3

im4MONSTER

02-18-2014

Make ur own thread jackass, we dont wanna go around searching posts for riot responses!

The Core Augur

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by eertelppa View Post
Probably a dumb question, but are these attacks, to which I assume are causing many of the ping/frame-rate/lag issues, any threat on the security of our personal information? I know you may never be allowed to say yes, bluntly, but should we take precaution at changing passwords and other measures?

Not sure why someone would want to perform this DDoS attack on internet providers other than having fun or something. Seems like the are not collecting information or data from them?

Thanks for working on this and best of luck. Thanks in advance for an answer.
To my knowledge, a DDoS is basically...

Say, a company has an upper limit on bandwidth, like, 500gb/s in data that they can reliably parse.

What a DDoS does is it reaches and breaches that upper limit. It denies service to anyone or anything by denying any data but their own(which is usually just junk).

All they're doing is clogging a pipe. I doubt they can get any personal information from this kind of attack.

Indigo Renegade

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post

Please feel free to toss any questions my way that you might have, I would love to have a chat with everyone about this and answer as much as I can.
Seriously, I cannot thank you enough for this post, Gradius. I came back to playing League after about a year this past week, and it wasn't leaving a very good first impression, I'll say that much. This post calmed me down immensely and helped me learn something along the way .

Many people on the GD will probably miss this post (Heck I've spotted a few already) out of anger and failure to look, and I expect most will not even read the link, but I still felt the need to thank you. Communication really is key in times like these, and was something I got frustrated by druing season 2 after the fantastically quick responses you had in S1. I wish you all luck in getting in contact with a solution to the NTP exploits (tons of amplification, eh Phreak?), and hope more people find and read your posts and come to a better understanding of the problem.

Smoking Mantis

02-18-2014

Sounds like the issue is being caused because the software needs to handle each and every invalid command, and give it a response. Sadly software needs a way to handle these commands, so it would need to have a some way of handling all of those invalid commands. Gaming companies need to have software that can thwart any attack a hacker can throw at them, while a hacker just needs to find a way to break the system. Its much easier to break something than prevent it.

Are the commands that are overloading the ISP all the same commands, or are they randomly generated?

Triggs

NOC Technician

02-18-2014
7 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eertelppa View Post
Probably a dumb question, but are these attacks, to which I assume are causing many of the ping/frame-rate/lag issues, any threat on the security of our personal information? I know you may never be allowed to say yes, bluntly, but should we take precaution at changing passwords and other measures?

Not sure why someone would want to perform this DDoS attack on internet providers other than having fun or something. Seems like the are not collecting information or data from them?

Thanks for working on this and best of luck. Thanks in advance for an answer.
You should always use a secure, long, hard to guess password. Using this site: https://howsecureismypassword.net/ (probably want to get past 1 month.) Also, use two factor auth anywhere you can. However, this has nothing to do with them access your personal information. DDoS attacks basically jam too many packets into a pipe. Like trying to put too many cars on a freeway.