DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mike566lol

02-18-2014

Will I lose my promo series? or lose a game in it?

Space Racist

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike566lol View Post
Will I lose my promo series? or lose a game in it?
No as Loss Prevented is on, which means you can't lose a game. It won't be counted for the promo best of 3.

ShadowKlown

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

So, since the server is hosted in California, you are claiming that it is a ddos attack on the entire provider and Riot is simply an innocent bystander of bw suffocation?
I'm sure I don't have a box in the same datacenter that you guys use, but I have 2 at 2 different locations in California and neither are experiencing access issues. I've had a box in a rack where the entire rack was null routed so I understand the whole block can be nulled, but your server isn't being null routed, some people can still connect/stay connected without issue which would suggest it's a larger platform issue?

universe within

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

Why doesn't Riot sue the people committing these attacks? The address and identity of one of the major attackers is known yet he's just allowed to do it freely. Why is he allowed to do this? If no action is taken against them then it's the same as saying they are allowed to do it.

coeriv

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
Loss prevented is intended to be an automatic thing when our service level goes below that of what we'd expect. You should see those changes apply fairly quickly (though, I'm not an expert in that area, I mostly just see the emails fly by with "Loss prevented is being enabled")

As for a timeline, that's hard to say since we're looking at a problem that's a huge scale. Just know that we're working tirelessly to get this under control. We want the network to be stable as bad as everyone else does
I'm really happy you've taken the time to come to the forums and answer questions, it's nice to see some information about what you guys are planning on and working on to solve the situation

If i could ask you an off the wall question though..

One time i connected to a game and was stuck around 600 ping. Frustrated i disconnected, logged into my alt, and joined a game. My ping was 70.

I logged out and back into my main account, and still had a ping of600... Log back out of that one, and back into the alt, and have a ping of 70.

Whats with that? lol. Bugged me forever now.

The Scyphozoa

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKlown View Post
So, since the server is hosted in California, you are claiming that it is a ddos attack on the entire provider and Riot is simply an innocent bystander of bw suffocation?
No. Riot is the target, and everyone else on the provider is a bystander.

CommandShockwave

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Core Augur View Post
The Gaben Laser Beam they mention on their Twitter feed isn't a thing that everyone just... has. It's not... really a thing. It's named after Gabe Newell.

The laser beam, in this case, is just a glut of useless information that clogs a system.

Maybe; not a security speciality or a techie.
Well yeah I know that lol, I was just using it as an example. What I meant to ask was 'how many groups are known to have access to such a large botnet?'

DirsheX

02-18-2014

to sue, you must first know who is the attacker

eertelppa

02-18-2014

Probably a dumb question, but are these attacks, to which I assume are causing many of the ping/frame-rate/lag issues, any threat on the security of our personal information? I know you may never be allowed to say yes, bluntly, but should we take precaution at changing passwords and other measures?

Not sure why someone would want to perform this DDoS attack on internet providers other than having fun or something. Seems like the are not collecting information or data from them?

Thanks for working on this and best of luck. Thanks in advance for an answer.

vcid

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
Loss prevented is intended to be an automatic thing when our service level goes below that of what we'd expect. You should see those changes apply fairly quickly (though, I'm not an expert in that area, I mostly just see the emails fly by with "Loss prevented is being enabled")

As for a timeline, that's hard to say since we're looking at a problem that's a huge scale. Just know that we're working tirelessly to get this under control. We want the network to be stable as bad as everyone else does
I was reading about the NTP attacks as I attempted to reconnect to my game, and found this which can help secure your server against NTP attacks, or if you add "restrict default nomodify nopeer noquery notrap" and "restrict -6 default nomodify nopeer noquery notrap" to your ntpd configuration it should restrict people from using NTP attacks against the server.