DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotGradius

Associate Information Security Engineer

02-18-2014
6 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drezak View Post
First off thank you SO MUCH for posting. That's all I've wanted from riot is them letting us know you're working on it (even though we knew.. reassurance is always nice)

Anyways quick question. How are you guys going about Loss Prevention with these attacks? Do you turn it on as soon as you see it happening or wait a bit? I see a lot of people complaining about losing because of the attacks but I feel like you guys would turn it on as soon as you see it happening...

Other question would be any timeline on fixing the issue? I'd assume you wouldn't know this answer quite yet.
Loss prevented is intended to be an automatic thing when our service level goes below that of what we'd expect. You should see those changes apply fairly quickly (though, I'm not an expert in that area, I mostly just see the emails fly by with "Loss prevented is being enabled")

As for a timeline, that's hard to say since we're looking at a problem that's a huge scale. Just know that we're working tirelessly to get this under control. We want the network to be stable as bad as everyone else does

BananaBandanaMan

02-18-2014

hey Gradius do yall think the DERP jerks are behind tonights ddos?

catywampus

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazardas88 View Post
Well I for one am willing to buy Riot a 1 years subscription to Norton Antivirus in order to solve the problem. I think that should do the trick.
I second the motion.

Hodoor

02-18-2014

Hey i got kicked out of a match by the lag, my whole team other than my duo partner went offline and it has been over an hour and i am still trying to login. when i log in it tells me i am still in a game then tries to connect me to a match that doesn't exist and freezes in a black screen. Can anyone help me?

Dèíty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
The problem with that is a lot of the time it's not even our network that's being destroyed by the malicious traffic, it's usually our providers or even their providers. This is why as a whole, network operations is moving towards a solution of being closer to providing their own Internet connections to our players. I'll find the post on the EUW forums that references things like the AMS datacenter and Riot Direct and edit it in here.
Thanks for opening a dialogue on this issue. Always nice to read an update. I hope you guys figure it out, it seems many of IT's best minds are working towards a solution so I'm very confident that you'll figure out how to nullify these types of attacks soon.

Neo Cyrus

02-18-2014

Quote:
Us networking guys at Riot are not only working internally to find a solution to this problem, but we're also working with the Information Security industry as a whole to improve the situation. We're working to find a tech solution to block the attacks as they're ongoing, and fixing the underlying problem of open/unpatched NTP servers on the Internet.
Tell me there's a group working with the authorities to lock up whoever's behind this?

ShadowKlown

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

So the outages, every single day, are being blamed on DDOS that still hasn't been mitigated? Please.

shurikenmage

02-18-2014

Quote:
Yup, I've wanted to find the right post to start a conversation in... but so many of them are "RIOT FIX YOUR SERVERS" .. and I really wanted to have a dialog, rather than a storm of that sort of message.

I don't mind chatting with you all (I'd actually prefer it over staying quiet), and I'd really like to address any questions that I can. I'll be honest, it's a ****ty situation to be in, and myself along with a lot of other Rioters, as well as other industry professionals are trying to solve this problem as a whole rather than slowly crawling our ACLS up our provider lists. It really does make me sad that any of your games get ruined because of a DDOS, which is even more motivation to kick our butts into high gear and get this problem solved.
So if your in a game and everyone disconnects and all that is left are minions how will the game end if it was dead even? and when will we be aloud back in or can riot just shut down our games for us.

Berz

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenten View Post
Why the sarcasm? Those are all legitimate questions and concerns that he could answer.
Some of them were, some of them have answers, and some are the same are questions that are tangentially related, at best.

CoachJohnson

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scyphozoa View Post
Now, I don't play Ranked, so I don't actually know what most people should:

When Loss Forgiven/Prevented is turned on, does the winning team still get their LP?
And if so, is there any threat posed by large amounts of LP gain with no LP loss by half the people playing ranked at the time? Could that potentially break the equilibrium of the ranking system if there's enough of it?
The losing team gets loss forgiven while the winning team gets around half or less lp then they wouldve got if it was lag free