DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zethraxx

02-18-2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what's going on and how you are dealing with things. much appreciated! <3 Go gettem boys!

Jerkface Killa 2

02-18-2014

The fact that your here acknowledging the problem is good enough for me. If your working on that awesome, i can understand these sorts of attacks are hard/near impossible to prevent, exp on such a large scale. Their pretty much using the system the way it was made, just at a scale that prevents everyone else from using it at the same time. Kinda hard to change how the internet works.

But i have a question, how long have you been working to prevent these attacks and how long until we as players can feel safe about playing ranked games again. TBH i was in my first ranked game of the season tonight and was D/Ced half way through the game. Doesnt really make me want to try another anytime soon ya know. Any kind of time frame would be awesome although i know your not going to have one because i guess you cant know when youll figure it out.

chaser676

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerothal View Post
don't know about you but i'd prefer Riot not to bow to some pimpled lowlife with a god complex.
I mean, I'd prefer to play the game, really

zéychin

02-18-2014

Botnets OP. Rito, pls nerf.

RiotGradius

Associate Information Security Engineer

02-18-2014
5 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linna Excel View Post
Is it possible when you are starting to see an unnatural spike in pings that servers just ignores anything it doesn't already have a connection with?
The problem with that is a lot of the time it's not even our network that's being destroyed by the malicious traffic, it's usually our providers or even their providers. This is why as a whole, network operations is moving towards a solution of being closer to providing their own Internet connections to our players. I'll find the post on the EUW forums that references things like the AMS datacenter and Riot Direct and edit it in here.

DocMuerte

02-18-2014

Fire work well vs trolls

TheBerbIsReal

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
Yup, I've wanted to find the right post to start a conversation in... but so many of them are "RIOT FIX YOUR SERVERS" .. and I really wanted to have a dialog, rather than a storm of that sort of message.

I don't mind chatting with you all (I'd actually prefer it over staying quiet), and I'd really like to address any questions that I can. I'll be honest, it's a ****ty situation to be in, and myself along with a lot of other Rioters, as well as other industry professionals are trying to solve this problem as a whole rather than slowly crawling our ACLS up our provider lists. It really does make me sad that any of your games get ruined because of a DDOS, which is even more motivation to kick our butts into high gear and get this problem solved.
As someone who has been incredibly frustrated for the past couple of weeks, THANK YOU. All I have really wanted is for a red to comment on the situation. Now for some questions. Are you close to finding a solution? Is there some kind of timeframe that you expect to figure it out in? Is there any possible legal action you can take? If this gets ironed out, how do you expect to prevent it in the future?

Extrinsick

02-18-2014

How about we let Riot solve the DDoS before we start clamoring for recompense (?) for them being the target

Sckharties

02-18-2014

Do you have an idea of where these attacks are coming from?

Late Game

02-18-2014

Riot please I was 1/1 in promos and I won my final game and then it says I never played the game