DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Drezak

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
Yup, I've wanted to find the right post to start a conversation in... but so many of them are "RIOT FIX YOUR SERVERS" .. and I really wanted to have a dialog, rather than a storm of that sort of message.

I don't mind chatting with you all (I'd actually prefer it over staying quiet), and I'd really like to address any questions that I can. I'll be honest, it's a ****ty situation to be in, and myself along with a lot of other Rioters, as well as other industry professionals are trying to solve this problem as a whole rather than slowly crawling our ACLS up our provider lists. It really does make me sad that any of your games get ruined because of a DDOS, which is even more motivation to kick our butts into high gear and get this problem solved.

First off thank you SO MUCH for posting. That's all I've wanted from riot is them letting us know you're working on it (even though we knew.. reassurance is always nice)

Anyways quick question. How are you guys going about Loss Prevention with these attacks? Do you turn it on as soon as you see it happening or wait a bit? I see a lot of people complaining about losing because of the attacks but I feel like you guys would turn it on as soon as you see it happening...

Other question would be any timeline on fixing the issue? I'd assume you wouldn't know this answer quite yet.

LargeSnorlax

02-18-2014

It's good to actually start some dialogue on it, a lot of false misinformation and assumptions going around (Like Riot wouldn't have anyone to even consider DDOS/Misdirects on the team)

It's interesting to see how forces combine to create a possible solution/workaround for Smurf and Reflection hits - Any idea how to lower the impact from hired botnets on your servers/isp?

MVP July

02-18-2014

so ppl are hacking into riot server or just a fail(?) server management that is causing the problem

Steelflame

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
Yup, I've wanted to find the right post to start a conversation in... but so many of them are "RIOT FIX YOUR SERVERS" .. and I really wanted to have a dialog, rather than a storm of that sort of message.

I don't mind chatting with you all (I'd actually prefer it over staying quiet), and I'd really like to address any questions that I can. I'll be honest, it's a ****ty situation to be in, and myself along with a lot of other Rioters, as well as other industry professionals are trying to solve this problem as a whole rather than slowly crawling our ACLS up our provider lists. It really does make me sad that any of your games get ruined because of a DDOS, which is even more motivation to kick our butts into high gear and get this problem solved.
Just my two cents, but I think that more of us are feeling pissed off about this, not because of the fact the league servers are being trashed, but because we are having no form of compensation at all, including in game loss preventions, which don't even cost you all a single dime to give. I think 1 in 10 games which have been effected by this mass attack have been given their rightful Loss Preventions, and when people are losing 10+ ranked games to this, they start getting pissed, fast. A very big step you guys could go to do to fix this is just freeze the League Point changes for the next few weeks at least, until we are sure Derp finally stops, or at least gets bored of attacking us constantly.

02-18-2014

@riotgradius
Does Riot acknowledge that groups such as DerpTrolling have targeted them? If so, are there any plans on pursuing legal action to put an end to their actions or are you simply trying to fix the security first so that you can't be DDOSed?

oOpwnageOo

02-18-2014

Riot posted wow. im amazed.. so i have played this game since right after beta. and back in the day riot would give Ip/Rp when things like this would happen and say sorry and find a solution i am glad to see you guys are working on it but would 400 rp kill you? let people get a half off skin for playing a unplayable game if you become like EA and just are all about the money my last dollar has been spent and ill no longer play this game. like even if we dont get rp or ip at least let the RIOT CEO Make a Post. About what has happened and how sorry you guys are for giving us such terrible playing conditions..

Extrinsick

02-18-2014

These people are taking credit if that matters: DerpTroolling@twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOpwnageOo View Post
Riot posted wow. im amazed.. so i have played this game since right after beta. and back in the day riot would give Ip/Rp when things like this would happen and say sorry and find a solution i am glad to see you guys are working on it but would 400 rp kill you? let people get a half off skin for playing a unplayable game if you become like EA and just are all about the money my last dollar has been spent and ill no longer play this game. like even if we dont get rp or ip at least let the RIOT CEO Make a Post. About what has happened and how sorry you guys are for giving us such terrible playing conditions..
"We're so terribly sorry we are the current victims of serial largescale DDoS attacks. Please take this money and forgive us for our impudence!" Like that?

Valenten

02-18-2014

Also Gradius how close are the guys and gals in the info sec to being able to stop DDOS and simmilar issues as they are in the current time.

RiotGradius

Associate Information Security Engineer

02-18-2014
4 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FxE Baylife View Post
Who is your favorite champion?
Been playing a crapton of support recently, lots of Nami/Thresh. Then when I branch into Jungle, been playing Shyv and trying to learn others. And then there's Riven <3

Caught Warding

02-18-2014

Is Edward Snowden involved?