DDOS prevention. Something to look at maybe?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EinInAJar

02-18-2014

Hooray for god-complex kiddies who like to waste their time annoying people.

Hope you guys find a way to stop the DDoS'ing, cause its getting aggravating (but i still love you).

NiceDaySir

02-18-2014

One thing I can say is that I do appreciate the fact that riot is actually working on this and is keeping up with the community trying to get feedback on the situation.

That being said, the smart guys in the community should be speaking up more about this and pitching those ideas. There's way too many toxic people out there just blaming riot for everything. While things may be better, I appreciate all the knowledgeable trying to help out.

Withthegoodrice

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
Hello, just wanted to see if I could drum up some conversations about the nature of DDOS attacks and what kind of scale we're seeing. The attacks that have recently taken place on many different Internet services are quite large because of a very specific flaw in the NTP protocol. These attacks are called reflection attacks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-...Spoofed_attack).

What's difficult to deal with when it comes to DDOS attacks is that the larger the attacks become, the easier it is for the attacker to completely consume all bandwidth available for a specific provider. What this means is that any Internet service that this provider has under them is also unable to communicate back to the Internet. As the attacks become larger, we block them farther and farther up the provider levels, until we're working with Tier 1 ISPs to implement access control lists that prevent these attacks. Here's some more information from Cloudflare about the recent NTP Reflection DDOSes (http://blog.cloudflare.com/understan...d-ddos-attacks)

Us networking guys at Riot are not only working internally to find a solution to this problem, but we're also working with the Information Security industry as a whole to improve the situation. We're working to find a tech solution to block the attacks as they're ongoing, and fixing the underlying problem of open/unpatched NTP servers on the Internet.

Please feel free to toss any questions my way that you might have, I would love to have a chat with everyone about this and answer as much as I can.
Although you may not be at liberty to discuss this, if you are, are these attacks specifically aimed at Riot?
They do not seem to be affecting any other servers.

UnoDosMoltres

02-18-2014

Quote:
Yup, I've wanted to find the right post to start a conversation in... but so many of them are "RIOT FIX YOUR SERVERS" .. and I really wanted to have a dialog, rather than a storm of that sort of message.

I don't mind chatting with you all (I'd actually prefer it over staying quiet), and I'd really like to address any questions that I can. I'll be honest, it's a ****ty situation to be in, and myself along with a lot of other Rioters, as well as other industry professionals are trying to solve this problem as a whole rather than slowly crawling our ACLS up our provider lists.
You can't start your own thread?

Aserus Nai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

can i get my money back?

Not Arcane Ezrea

02-18-2014

Quote:
Hello, just wanted to see if I could drum up some conversations about the nature of DDOS attacks and what kind of scale we're seeing. The attacks that have recently taken place on many different Internet services are quite large because of a very specific flaw in the NTP protocol. These attacks are called reflection attacks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-...Spoofed_attack).

What's difficult to deal with when it comes to DDOS attacks is that the larger the attacks become, the easier it is for the attacker to completely consume all bandwidth available for a specific provider. What this means is that any Internet service that this provider has under them is also unable to communicate back to the Internet. As the attacks become larger, we block them farther and farther up the provider levels, until we're working with Tier 1 ISPs to implement access control lists that prevent these attacks. Here's some more information from Cloudflare about the recent NTP Reflection DDOSes (http://blog.cloudflare.com/understan...d-ddos-attacks)

Us networking guys at Riot are not only working internally to find a solution to this problem, but we're also working with the Information Security industry as a whole to improve the situation. We're working to find a tech solution to block the attacks as they're ongoing, and fixing the underlying problem of open/unpatched NTP servers on the Internet.

Please feel free to toss any questions my way that you might have, I would love to have a chat with everyone about this and answer as much as I can.
Will there be compensation for this? Even though it's not fully your fault this is getting pretty annoying and is wasting people's time in a game.

quackofalltrades

02-18-2014

CAn anyone actually play any games now? CAuse I just got disconnected from a game and I can't reconnect. I can connect to the internet just fine (hence this post).

Btw, does leavebuster get you if it's a problem on Riot's end?

A Furious Fizz

02-18-2014

I rioter commenting on GD it's a miracle. also being helpful, tonight is a good night. I now have hope for riot games

Valenten

02-18-2014

Quote:

I require more detailed responses on what exactly is happening to yall over these past 3 weeks and if yall have tracked down the culprits and what your plans are in the immideiate future to prevent these kinds of attack so that Riot is able to provide a stable service. Also are yall planning on upgrading the current servers so they run more smoothly. Also what is the progress on making East Coast and Central US have better ping?

monissa

02-18-2014

How close are you to getting a solution down? And, when you get one, it'll stop the attacks for a period of time?