I wonder how bad all the @Riot's want to tell us off.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeanKeaton259

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
If I picked what actually frustrates me, it's the conspiracy theories on intent. I don't mind people yelling at the design team, and sometimes there's good info there, I get pissy at the "ROIT IS GREEDY" or things like that, because it's such a ridiculous notion. Another one is "THEY BALANCE ON PREFERENCE OF THEIR CHAMPS" or other basically other things that have no value to even say. We make enough real mistakes that I think talking about those, and focusing there, is a healthier conversation, even in the face of really harsh critiques or upset players.

Some of this is me being 35, though, I imagine. I did very similar things when I was younger and just got on forums and was SURE I knew why things happened, and had this really complete world-view in my mind. Likely the most important thing I learned that allowed me to get into game development was when I understood how much I didn't know.
Honestly, when I started playing this game I had literally no clue what was "balanced" or "overpowered." I've learned a lot through the interactions I've had with you and other designers. Thank you for that. You really have a good handle on what's good for the game long term and I'll admit that sometimes it's hard to see.

The only thing I think you guys can improve on is the magnitude of the nerfs you carry out. I know the nerf hammer used to be much heavier than it is currently, but I still think there's some room for improvement. It still makes me cringe when a kit sees 3-4 abilities all get nerfed within a single patch.

Also, I feel like there could be more frequent "mini-reworks" to help champs that are struggling. I know the full reworks take a long time, so doing something small in the interim at least would be nice.

WizardCrab

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eCommerce Associate

Follow WizardCrab on Twitter

02-18-2014
63 of 63 Riot Posts

Aight I'm gonna head out to play some games. See ya guys around!

Haha same YOLO

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
Aight I'm gonna head out to play some games. See ya guys around!
How? Given how laggy the servers are...

Slapcity Hobo

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spoon Dog View Post
Remember when they said they're investigating it? That means they don't have an answer yet. If they did, they wouldn't be investigating.
Whoa, calm down.

Coldmanj

02-18-2014

Quote:
You're right. That may have been an oversimplification. I apologize.
hey if riot made a joke hecarim skin that was a big cube.... id probably buy it and use it a bunch but thats just me xD

gimme your apple

02-18-2014

This thread has 63 red posts LOL... meanwhile, the 300+ page threads regarding the HORRIBLE EAST COAST PING issue gets almost no attention. What are you guys doing over there.......

Ironstryde

02-18-2014

Quote:
Frankly, lazy is equally asinine - you attribute intent to results. The last has more validity.

We mess up. Riot's never like "let's **** it off!" Tradeoffs involve every decision.

Magma Chamber was hard to understand on this regard. "Well, work harder to make it happen" is just...what? You can choose between these two things:

1) More stable servers

2) A new map

To us, it's a no-brainer which of these is more important. You can't "work harder" because the problem isn't that people aren't setting things up, or doing the work. Here's a good example of the "server problem" some of the ops guys were sharing.

In the time it takes normal businesses (like vendors ordering hardware, flying it to the physical location and setting up the hardware) due to player login growth, the servers are full before we even get them set up. If each game holds 10 players, and a server holds X games, then each server holds X times 10 players.

If you add a 1v1 mode, then each server holds X times 2 players. Each 1-v-1 game means 8 other players have a laggy experience or can't log in.

So, this is why I flare at "lazy." Call us incompetent or get mad at us for failing. Calling people who bust their ass (often to unreasonable degrees) to improve the experience lazy might be the most offensive thing of all.
Morello,

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I'm probably 99% positive about your company and decisions. I'm always jumping to Riot's defense not as a fan boy, but as someone who honestly feels you guys do a great job and are always striving to improve. I'm not one for conspiracy or OMG RIOT corporate greed! In fact, I can't believe the quality of the product for a FREE game! A FREE game! Amazes me how many temper tantrums on GD forget that fact. Haha.

The Magma Chamber debacle was one of the first times I felt like here we go... this sounds just like a corporate downsizing meeting (these dimwits will be fooled by our fancy charts and not even question being laid off.) The cancellation post felt really condescending and as if the wool was slowly being pulled down. I had never once questioned Riot's integrity before that event. You have not lost me as a customer. Any company can make a mistake. But god I would have loved to hear this explanation instead.

Yes I had been secretly salivating over Magma Chamber. There have been a million posts about why 1v1/2v2 is awesome, I don't need to get into details. I would have been totally fine with an explanation of Magma Chamber is not good for the well being of the overall game right now. Other aspects would suffer. Or hell, no explanation at all would have been fine. "We have decided Magma Chamber is not feasible at the current time." I would have put on my big boy pants and moved on. You guys really lost my trust for the first time with that announcement though. It just seemed so skewed and "big corporation like." You guys are typically so open when you can be, so it was a shocker.

You guys are awesome. I love the game. I love the developers and community. Just make sure to be up front with us. No matter how painful, we will get over it. I don't want to have my trust tested again.

Grey Wolf

02-18-2014

Quote:
Disclaimer: I know nothing about the servers. The following does not represent anyone's views but my own!

As a thought experiment, assume we are investigating the server issues. If we're investigating it, what's the likelihood we know exactly what the problem is? What's an example of something satisfying we could message during this investigation period?

Again, just a thought experiment.
Sarcastic much?

NamKim

02-18-2014

Since this is a thread where we're addressing things that we feel that Riot is...not performing as well as they could in certain area. I do want to bring up the topic of alternate map support to the table.

While I haven't been able to play recently due to school, many of my friends and myself are huge Dominion fans. But recently a lot of the well known competitive/high elo players are leaving out of frustration convinced that Riot will only do the minimum support for the map and will not do what is necessary to turn it into a successful, competitive map. There are only a few people working on the alternate maps and I feel that TT and Dominion DOES NOT reach Riot's standards.

Recently, a lot of the high elo Dominion players are fed up due to what they feel to be incredibly poor support for the past two or so years. Some of them returned back to SR (which I heard they are doing pretty well on the ranked ladder) while others left League of Legends entirely to play other MOBA's such as Smite out of pure frustration with Riot. Some have even went as far to assume that Riot is going to outright remove the Dominion queues from the game and turn it into a featured game. Due to the lack of VISIBLE long term support and plans for Dominion and Riot's recent fascination with Featured Game Modes, it feels like a real possibility and having this possibility of a HUGE BETRAYAL from Riot to the Dominion community alone is making people want to reconsider playing the game.

What I am asking here is that Riot please bring Dominion into discussions, both internally and publicly. Please take advantage of your Community Beta forum or make Reddit posts or something. At this point, we would just like something, anything from Riot to know that we weren't abandoned.

I apologize for ranting a bit there but I am starting to become frustrated at Riot due to this. My hope is that I did not come off as disrespectful but I do want to stress that this is something very important to me and something I would greatly appreciate getting a proper response towards. I just want open and HONEST discussions about it.

The Aqua Snake

02-18-2014

Quote:
Again, tradeoffs. We're willing to make some players unhappy to enrich the game's overall interactivity
Hopefully this means Riot will finally increase the Bans and alternate between Ban - Pick for Tournaments so Pro players can adapt and not just "Play their main Champions".