I wonder how bad all the @Riot's want to tell us off.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WizardCrab

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eCommerce Associate

Follow WizardCrab on Twitter

02-18-2014
43 of 63 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGrenade View Post
Hey guys, I just unlocked Yasuo by playing the game as much as I normally do in a manner which I enjoy, 0 money spent, isn't that awesome?

Yes, yes it is.

Zipkan

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I'll acknowledge it :P

Sometimes we get frustrated - we're human beings too. But I think the scale and growth of the community has made all this really hard (for me, at least) to wrap my head around.

Back when I started (MF patch), it was pretty easy to have a good Red-to-player post ratio, get on hot threads, etc. Now, we've grown a lot, but the community has grown more. Additionally, people like myself are less in-touch with the details as we're trying to manage the direction and strategy, meaning questions of "why you nerf X" aren't things that we give as much context on these days.

And that's just for NA. Imagine Korea, or EUNE where we might only have one or two people on the development teams with relevant language proficiency.

If I picked what actually frustrates me, it's the conspiracy theories on intent. I don't mind people yelling at the design team, and sometimes there's good info there, I get pissy at the "ROIT IS GREEDY" or things like that, because it's such a ridiculous notion. Another one is "THEY BALANCE ON PREFERENCE OF THEIR CHAMPS" or other basically other things that have no value to even say. We make enough real mistakes that I think talking about those, and focusing there, is a healthier conversation, even in the face of really harsh critiques or upset players.

Some of this is me being 35, though, I imagine. I did very similar things when I was younger and just got on forums and was SURE I knew why things happened, and had this really complete world-view in my mind. Likely the most important thing I learned that allowed me to get into game development was when I understood how much I didn't know.
Ya 99% of the GD are kids below the age of 16 who think they are the next Faker. So the scream and shout, and let it all out on the forums, instead of posting something worthwhile.

Haha same YOLO

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
We are running a business for profit. And we are nice because we don't run it for MORE of a profit. I don't think it's a poor argument. I think none of the world is black and white. Profit or not profit. There are better and worse ways and amounts. I suppose we have to agree to disagree here.
The thing is, ultimately, when you're running a business and being nice, in the long run, that good will should theoretically bring you more profit than establishing predatory business practices. We can agree on that, right?

Apologies for the rage in some of my posts.

WizardCrab

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eCommerce Associate

02-18-2014
44 of 63 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manouso View Post
How about just acknowledging there is a problem and give us some assurance you guys are trying your damnedest to get things going again? Obviously you guys don't like when your servers are having issues and are working on them, but people feel ignored. The reason people go crazy in GD is because we don't get ANY info when things like this happen.
Okay. There is or was a problem and I give you my assurance that we're trying our damnedest to get things going again.

I just have my doubts that that made anyone feel any better.

HollowxIchigo

02-18-2014

Quote:
Okay. There is or was a problem and I give you my assurance that we're trying our damnedest to get things going again.

I just have my doubts that that made anyone feel any better.
That made me want to play Teemo

Xaxziminrax

02-18-2014

Nuuuuu WizardCrab my mouse glitched and I accidentally downvoted you

Pls reply to this so I can upvote you and make everything right with the world!

WizardCrab

eCommerce Associate

02-18-2014
45 of 63 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Yes, this is actually a good policy, and part of the reason economies work--

If you make an actually good product, people will tend to give you the resources to do so.

Seeking a profit for producing something people like through your own hard work may tend to be quite fine.

However, we're also quite aware that for self-advertising artificial scarcity products, release discounting does perhaps tend to produce a higher profit.

Which is fine. But should likely not be phrased as a direct monetary loss, because odds are it isn't.
Maybe I overstepped in my language. What I suppose I actually meant was that we did this under the assumption that we would make less profit and that it was for the players. Maybe we missed the mark, and by doing so actually created even more value! If that's the case, everybody wins!

You make a good point.

Super Explosion

02-18-2014

Quote:
And we are nice because we don't run it for MORE of a profit.
Many people don't realize that 'being nice' is actually a profit maximizing strategy.

Because there's the differential of profit now versus profit later.

You may usually want to run it as a ramp where people continue to like your company, because they are benefited by your company, and thusly you may be more benefited by them.

Often perhaps called "intangible assets", but that is perhaps not strictly accurate.

Haha same YOLO

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Many people don't realize that 'being nice' is actually a profit maximizing strategy.

Because there's the differential of profit now versus profit later.

You want to run it as a ramp where people continue to like your company, because they are benefited by your company, and thusly you may be more benefited by them.

Often perhaps called "intangible assets", but that is perhaps not strictly accurate.
We posted the same idea :3 I feel speshul

DeathByGrenade

02-18-2014

Any thoughts on my post about getting a dedicated moderating staff here on the forums?
Again, take volunteers, it can work!

And before you think this is a plea to be one. I can't! No dedicated internet and I'm not on enough D: