I wonder how bad all the @Riot's want to tell us off.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

5003

Member

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
Maybe a little :P Thanks for the reminder though

I just want everyone to understand what we do and say here at Riot! If only I could have every player follow us around for a day :/
You can do this VERY easily.

Just take a camera with you (or some other Rioter) to work, and have it constantly filming their entire day and then one of you video-techy guys makes a video out of it and posts it on the Riot youtube channel as "A day of a rioter" or something like that.

BAM! You can even have a clip of Rioters reading dumb threads off of GD and laughing collectively.

What do you think?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

Senior Member

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
Yes, if you want 750s, recolors, and skins for certain champions, please continue to tell us! We want/need to hear what the players want.

You just have to not get angry if we determine that just because you as an individual want it (or even a group of like-minded forum goers), it doesn't mean that everybody in the world wants it or that it's the best direction for our game. But please keep asking for it.
But if I'm not getting it, why would I continue to ask for it? I understand that I'm in the minority about a lot of things, and I can't always be catered to, but if you continue to release 1350 skins for champions that I don't play, I'm going to A) not buy rp, because there's nothing I want and B) not bother to complain any more. There's going to be a point where I decide 'I've been asking for these things for (insert time here) and I'm not getting them, so why bother?' Certainly, posts like this help lengthen that time; at least I know someone's paying attention. But why would I continue to ask for it if I feel like I'm being ignored? You don't exactly hear people asking for less then 6300 IP champions anymore, because you've made it clear that's not going to happen. The most we get are 'man, remember when we got champion releases that were less then 6300?' nostalgia trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
You can, because healthy is based on mental models of the game as opposed to tested results in many cases. This will never be "final" because League changes a lot on its own, and we learn all the time by making new models. So, to see it as "done" is the fallacy, where the actual path is one of slow change towards a set of values.
I...do not understand any of this. At all. Could you please elaborate? Like, is it something like 'you can't test for healthiness, it's something you just feel'? Does this mean that if my mental mode indicates that Irelia is a healthy champion, she IS healthy? Or what? I'm confused.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reizuc

Senior Member

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
Mr. Crab by Leona's divine legs,

I just wanted to say Riot is lucky to have you. Other than the almighty Parrot God himself, I rarely see passionate (yet humorous) postings from the reds on this forum. Morello does his job though.

Keep providing feedback and discussion like this. I, for one, surely appreciate it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WizardCrab

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eCommerce Associate

Follow WizardCrab on Twitter

02-18-2014
35 of 63 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
The combination of release 'hype' with the directed message that the price will never drop does most likely promote sales (and perhaps profits) in excess of less 'hyped' later discounts.

Further, high adoption rate of the skin yields much higher advertising output as a byproduct in the game.

If Hippalus was saying this, I might be a bit concerned, but with WizardCrab-- I may cut him some slack as long as he perhaps researches consumer psychology a bit more.
I see your point Super Explosion. I believe we could create a similar amount of hype on our own terms later if we wanted. I will admit that there are elements of the "release at discount" strategy that can be argued as more profitable. You've mentioned some. I firmly believe (for more reasons than I can say) that our strategy still makes less profit than releasing at full price and discounting later. And regardless, I KNOW that the decision was made with the idea in mind that it was not profit maximizing. Maybe we screwed up and actually made more money with this strategy than with the one we thought would be profit maximizing. It's definitely possible. We're not perfect. But I doubt it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WizardCrab

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eCommerce Associate

Follow WizardCrab on Twitter

02-18-2014
36 of 63 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by øLordSeth View Post
Srs question here.

Valve has a system where players can create and upload custom content, if it's approved it can be sold ingame and the player gets a cut.

Would something like this be possible in LoL some day? We do have many good custom skins, some obviously wouldn't get approved but some are pretty damn good, if riot also released some tools I'm sure the community could come up with great stuff, cheaper stuff, and get motivated to participate as well.

Plus considering no resources were spent by the company besides saying "yeah this is ok to sell ingame" means almost free profit for you.

It's a super cool question, and one that's way above my paygrade

I'm sure it's been discussed many times before, but I know that there are some downsides and there are NO immediate plans for such a system.

EDIT: I repeat, NO plans. It was a typo!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
We could have created the same effect that you described with a "1 time only sale" any time after release.
No Mister Crab, that isn't how it works-- basic consumer psychology indicates the anticipation publicity has a very large affect on primary sales.

A one time only sale after that has less public visibility, and 'anticipation'.

Further, high adoption rate gains you free advertising as one of your profit vectors.

And of course, with high visibility and a large portion of decisions being made by the player base as to whether they will ever get the skin, the incentive of a low non-returning initial price to sway those decisions may as well be a large factor.

So it is in fact a very good profit maximizing strategy, and the person who devised it may have researched Microsoft's marketing systems.

But like I said, that perhaps isn't a bad thing-- you are at least adopting perhaps a more consumer-friendly structure.

However, I will counsel you to examine in more detail the psychological systems in sales.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Haha same YOLO

Senior Member

02-18-2014

You could have tested it with the 1350 skins that release at 975, then go on sale later on for an idea of how premium pricing with initial-term sales compares to later term 50% sales.

It would give a ball-park estimate, minus the hype-factor since they aren't Ultimate skins.

Internal metrics are so interesting I would love to have all of Riot's numbers.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

vasheenomed

Senior Member

02-18-2014

Quote:
there are immediate plans for such a system.
I'm assuming you meant no immediate plans there.... might want to correct that one before people freak out


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WizardCrab

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eCommerce Associate

Follow WizardCrab on Twitter

02-18-2014
37 of 63 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsmph View Post
"We don't make decisions to maximize profits"
Then you should prove it by removing 1350 skins
Oh, that skin took more work to make?
Than it would be a wonderful service to the community to have it at a lower cost permanently. Look how wonderful the e-commerce department is to it's players!

I've said this once and I'll say it again
Riot won't explode if you cut the people who spend their hard earned cash on this game a break once in awhile
We could also make every skin free, right?

A line has to be drawn somewhere.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrHedge64

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-18-2014

Riotfriends, since you tagged out Morello to talk about money things, can you tag out with like, Kitae or something to talk about lore?

We're a small minority but I don't particularly getting **** on because lore isn't very popular.