I wonder how bad all the @Riot's want to tell us off.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmokingPuffin

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haha same YOLO View Post
Dude, come on. Running a business is NOT NICE. It's a BUSINESS. If it was nice, you would give away the profits after to charity, make it a non-profit, and really be "nice"

Riot doesn't do that. Businesses are inherently there to make a profit for their owners, and even non-profits can not be "nice"

That's a slippery slope to go down, that you guys are being "nice."

If you are generating income, and not reducing prices or giving back that money to the community, you are running a business for a profit, and saying "but we're nice because we don't run it for MORE of a profit!" is a poor argument.
You have such a painfully negative view of business. I would suggest you try running one to get some relevant experience.

Regarding businesses being nice, it's not purely about profit and loss. You can make a profit and still be a good person. In fact, often being nice makes you more money than being evil. I would say that most of the small businesspeople I know aren't just good businesspeople, they're good people too.

Haha same YOLO

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGrenade View Post
Exactly my point. I got something for free, and I'm not *****ing about it.
I will also continue to play more and get more things for free and buy things I want.
I like the market structure.
You actually don't understand.

YOUR playing adds value to the game, because the people that play for free give incentive to those that pay money to play, since they have OPPONENTS.

That's how F2P games work at their core. The community is largely created by people who buy nothing, but the business is maintained by those that do. The game wouldn't exist if there wasn't incentive through FREE TO PLAY. If everyone had to pay, the community would be very small, and people purchasing goods would be part of a smaller subset and not want to participate as much since the community IS smaller.

You don't understand that free to play players provide value. You aren't getting it for free. You make the game work since people need opponents to play.

SmokingPuffin

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
Maybe a little :P Thanks for the reminder though

I just want everyone to understand what we do and say here at Riot! If only I could have every player follow us around for a day :/
If you're offering, put my name on the list =D

Haha same YOLO

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingPuffin View Post
You have such a painfully negative view of business. I would suggest you try running one to get some relevant experience.

Regarding businesses being nice, it's not purely about profit and loss. You can make a profit and still be a good person. In fact, often being nice makes you more money than being evil. I would say that most of the small businesspeople I know aren't just good businesspeople, they're good people too.
I run a business. So that's a silly argument. IF I'm being "Nice," it's generally for a larger motive. I'll be nice to potential sponsors because I want their business, and I can offer them something they want. That involves either free advertising or included value-addeds for no cost. Doesn't mean I know that there's an ulterior motive - KEEP them as a CUSTOMER.

Bregan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2014

Quote:
There is an argument to be made for the overall feel of the game. A silly example:

Let's say we made a Hecarim skin that was just a brown cube and sold it for 1 RP. You get into the a game and one of the guys on your team is just a monochrome cube. OK, not the worst thing. Now imagine that 10% of all skins you see end up being simple 3D shapes because they're cheap. Now a friend, who has never played LoL, is watching over your shoulder. And he says "WTF are all these ****ty looking shape characters?" Now he doesn't want to play LoL.

Obviously recolors are not that bad but you can see a scenario where a lower quality skin can have a negative effect on perception of the game as a whole. I'm not saying recolors would cause this effect. But there's always a potential any skin could.

Maybe recolors are a worthwhile path for us. I haven't seen that data yet. We'll look into it.
um, you just bastardized what i said. i never said trashy shapes and cubes. i said PAINT. you guys made emerald taric, white mage veigar, black robe karthus, assassin yi, etc. no model alterations, just color scheme. why not red taric? blue taric? black taric? yellow taric? etc. how is this a problem?

like i said, some characters wouldnt be optimal candidates for this (draven for example. his outfit and color scheme isnt conducive for a simple paintjob), but you blew what i said way out of proportion and missed the point entirely.

GhastlyGhoulMan

02-18-2014

Quote:

I just want everyone to understand what we do and say here at Riot! If only I could have every player follow us around for a day :/
Can I! Please!???

Road trip, guys!!!!

Free4ever22

02-18-2014

Quote:

That would be awesome!

Shentok

02-18-2014

Quote:

Could get a wireless camera strapped to your head and stream your PoV.

Fatalfugus

02-18-2014

Thanks for being so involved in this thread, Morello and wizardcrab. Please don't forget about us in favor of the community beta. Not everyone on GD is spiteful, and I can't even figure out the community beta or enjoy its format, so the only red love I see is here.

MetalGearTeemu

02-18-2014

Quote:

I think we'd get far more relevant information to the thread by sitting in on a metrics conference call, but I appreciate the effort, you really are in a ****ty situation since your edit: Pincers are literally rubberbanded