I wonder how bad all the @Riot's want to tell us off.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bedwilly Sanchez

02-18-2014

Also, If nobody bought skins, we wouldn't have a game.

Hippopotamus G

02-18-2014

WizardCrab and Morello are going to be good friends after tackling this thread together.

Good job, guys. Thank you for the insights.

And from the words of thy noble Garen, 'Stay resolute.'

øLordSeth

02-18-2014

Srs question here.

Valve has a system where players can create and upload custom content, if it's approved it can be sold ingame and the player gets a cut.

Would something like this be possible in LoL some day? We do have many good custom skins, some obviously wouldn't get approved but some are pretty damn good, if riot also released some tools I'm sure the community could come up with great stuff, cheaper stuff, and get motivated to participate as well.

Plus considering no resources were spent by the company besides saying "yeah this is ok to sell ingame" means almost free profit for you.

Coldmanj

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
I could see that. I'll have to think on this, although we don't have any plans to (or even any conversations about) putting ultimate skins on sale after the release sale.
not saying you have to, just giving an example of how others might feel for refernece. (I already have both SGU and PFE one bought on discount and one not)

DeathByGrenade

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFeign View Post
OH HEY LOOK, a positive post about RIOT...and what do you know..they answer back! Lol

Didn't your parents every teach you to be nice to the people you ask things of?
Kindness is greeted with kindness, hostility breeds hostility.

tailsmph

02-18-2014

"We don't make decisions to maximize profits"
Then you should prove it by removing 1350 skins
Oh, that skin took more work to make?
Than it would be a wonderful service to the community to have it at a lower cost permanently. Look how wonderful the e-commerce department is to it's players!

I've said this once and I'll say it again
Riot won't explode if you cut the people who spend their hard earned cash on this game a break once in awhile

SmokingPuffin

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser676 View Post
Do you think that less than double the amount of people who would have purchased PFE at full price purchased it during the sale? I seriously don't.
I think that the way you're modeling it is incorrect.

Relative to the implemented strategy, you need to track two things:
1) Gained revenue from customers willing to pay the full price on release day
2) Lost revenue from customers who would have been willing to pay the release day discounted price, but were no longer willing to buy at the time of the discount sale

I'd be absolutely shocked if case 2 exceeded case 1 because LoL has such high attachment among the paying playerbase. The salient point here is that any customer that is eventually willing to buy at the discounted Pulsefire Ezreal price point is not a lost sale and represents no change in revenue from the implemented business model.

There might even be a case 3 here of players who weren't willing to buy discounted Pulsefire Ezreal on release day, or full price Pulsefire Ezreal 3 months later, but they would be willing to buy on a weekend sale 3 or 6 months later. This is especially true considering the community perception of Ezreal's viability over that period of time.

Goronfighter

02-18-2014

Just wanted to pop in here and say I love you guys and all the hard work you do.

Vacus

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
I could see that. I'll have to think on this, although we don't have any plans to (or even any conversations about) putting ultimate skins on sale after the release sale.
For what it's worth, I own both PFE and SGU, and I would have no objection to them being put on sale equal to the price I paid for them (the half off release discount).

I would only object if they were put on sale for a steeper discount than that (without some kind of refund for me).

SmokingPuffin

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsmph View Post
"We don't make decisions to maximize profits"
Then you should prove it by removing 1350 skins
Oh, that skin took more work to make?
Than it would be a wonderful service to the community to have it at a lower cost permanently. Look how wonderful the e-commerce department is to it's players!
The model where awesome skins and mediocre skins have the same price point was stupid. Differentiated pricing is desirable for many reasons.

Once we're talking about the need for different pricing tiers, and I hope you'll agree on that point, we are reduced to talking about how consumers want lower prices. That's obvious, but it's not helpful feedback for the eCommerce team.