I wonder how bad all the @Riot's want to tell us off.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
It didn't. All I'm saying is that we could have gotten every advantage of your points A) B) and C) by releasing at full price and then discounting later. Plus the added bonus of release sales at full price.
I suppose. I still don't really buy the 'but it was so awesome we wanted to give it to you at a lower price!' story.

Haha same YOLO

02-18-2014

I like when people aren't critical. These are the people that see 9.99 products and their brain tells them it's cheaper than the 10.00 product

Haha same YOLO

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
I suppose. I still don't really buy the 'but it was so awesome we wanted to give it to you at a lower price!' story.
URF Warwick is an example of "AWESOME!!!!! We want to give it to you at a low price"

PFE/SGU are examples of "AWESOME!!!! We want out of the gate sales with pressure marketing!"

Togoh

02-18-2014

I'm not really sure why every1 is jumping on Wizardcrab's back here. Sure they make a ton of money, but as far as skins go it's hard to complain about their efforts on that. Maybe complaints on some of the day one skin releases for champs sure, but I mean..they do really give some decent discounts day one/bundles.

Also thank you Wizard for taking the time to respond so much. Lately, especially with the server issues, we don't see nearly as much Red responses as we'd like I'm sure..even though when you do it seems people declare a crusade on you :-P.

The MechE

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
Yeah, well, oh well. If you don't trust someone, there's nothing they can say to convince you.

He probably told you the truth, but you're just too stubborn to accept it. Things have to fit the way you believe the world is. Even if it's not that way.

BlackFeign

02-18-2014

OH HEY LOOK, a positive post about RIOT...and what do you know..they answer back! Lol

Hellioning

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togoh View Post
I'm not really sure why every1 is jumping on Wizardcrab's back here. Sure they make a ton of money, but as far as skins go it's hard to complain about their efforts on that. Maybe complaints on some of the day one skin releases for champs sure, but I mean..they do really give some decent discounts day one/bundles.
I dunno. I think the death of 750 skins, the complete lack of recolors, and the slow update schedule are pretty good points to complain about. Sure, they're not exactly unique at updating slowly, especially compared to what we're used to, but it's still irritating.

Still waiting on a new Skarner/Karma/Yorick skin, by the way!

Bedwilly Sanchez

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldmanj View Post
This brings up a good point though Wizardcrab that I think many newer players dont consider fair. New players that see skins like SGU and PFE would love to get them but see the price and decide not to, then they get an ally or opponent with the skin and they comment them on it only to hear "yeah I got it when it came out on sale" end up feeling cheated. They never even had the chance to purchase the skin when it was on sale. That is where some frustration might come up for some people.
Isn't this the case for every sale...ever. Some will or will have payed more for the same item.

Letkhar

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
Skimming works ideally when you have a highly differentiated good. You can't skim with a "me too" product i.e. one with a lot of competition. In a certain sense we do have a monopoly,
That's exactly my point. You said earlier that it would be optimal for you to skim, but surely you agree with me that in this case where there is practically 0 competition skimming would be a bad strategy?

Quote:
and price discriminating is a more accurate term for the optimal strategy we could employ, which we don't do. It just further shows money that we're leaving on the table here.
You do price discriminate. You offer two different prices for the same product to two different people with different levels of demand. You attract people who WOULD buy the super-exciting-new-skin for a ONE-TIME LOW PRICE, and then you charge a higher price to people who come later and are willing to shell out more for the same product.

I'm not even mad about it. It's good business practice. I'm more perturbed by you trying to mislead people into thinking that it's bad business practice. It's not. You're good at your job and you should take pride in that.

Super Explosion

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Tog View Post
While it's possible you might've gotten those sales like a year in the future if you'd discounted the skin later
The combination of release 'hype' with the directed message that the price will never drop does most likely promote sales (and perhaps profits) in excess of less 'hyped' later discounts.

Further, high adoption rate of the skin yields much higher advertising output as a byproduct in the game.

If Hippalus was saying this, I might be a bit concerned, but with WizardCrab-- I may cut him some slack as long as he perhaps researches consumer psychology a bit more.