I wonder how bad all the @Riot's want to tell us off.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Haha same YOLO

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingPuffin View Post
If you are being maximally efficient in pricing, your content is highest cost on release day.

Riot did not maximize profit in this case. This is what crabby is referring to -- their pricing on Pulsefire Ezreal was intentionally not profit maximizing.
Not profit maximizing, agreed, but they will still generate more sales than simply launching at a high price.

A better business model would be to give the 50% price one year after release for a week as an "anniversary"

But they will still make more money through the sales at half price than they would otherwise.

WuTuStronk

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I'll acknowledge it :P

Sometimes we get frustrated - we're human beings too. But I think the scale and growth of the community has made all this really hard (for me, at least) to wrap my head around.

Back when I started (MF patch), it was pretty easy to have a good Red-to-player post ratio, get on hot threads, etc. Now, we've grown a lot, but the community has grown more. Additionally, people like myself are less in-touch with the details as we're trying to manage the direction and strategy, meaning questions of "why you nerf X" aren't things that we give as much context on these days.

And that's just for NA. Imagine Korea, or EUNE where we might only have one or two people on the development teams with relevant language proficiency.

If I picked what actually frustrates me, it's the conspiracy theories on intent. I don't mind people yelling at the design team, and sometimes there's good info there, I get pissy at the "ROIT IS GREEDY" or things like that, because it's such a ridiculous notion. Another one is "THEY BALANCE ON PREFERENCE OF THEIR CHAMPS" or other basically other things that have no value to even say. We make enough real mistakes that I think talking about those, and focusing there, is a healthier conversation, even in the face of really harsh critiques or upset players.

Some of this is me being 35, though, I imagine. I did very similar things when I was younger and just got on forums and was SURE I knew why things happened, and had this really complete world-view in my mind. Likely the most important thing I learned that allowed me to get into game development was when I understood how much I didn't know.
We just want to know why the lag issues are happening (dont be afraid to get technical) and what you are doing to fix them. I know this isnt your department but the NOC guys need to let us know. Eventually if its not remedied players will find other games.

Letkhar

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldmanj View Post
Hey bud I went to college to. You are not considering all of the variables.
I'm not about to write a textbook on the forum, but yes there are a lot of reasons why Riot would prefer penetration pricing in this case.

Coldmanj

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haha same YOLO View Post
No Free-2-Play business will ever do anything "nice" for players when it's at the cost of shareholders.

Since Riot is owned by a foreign company, that desire to give away "awesome" will be quashed.

If they really wanted to be nice, they'd leave legendary skins at the reduced price forever! That would be really nice.
where you getting your info, and do you actually know riot even has shareholders?

WizardCrab

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eCommerce Associate

Follow WizardCrab on Twitter

02-18-2014
23 of 63 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
That example is silly. So silly I don't know why you made it. Why on earth would a simple recolor (which, incidentally, would be exactly the same quality as the base skin, barring clashing color choices) turn someone off of the game more then the base skin itself would? Not every skin needs to be Pulsefire Ezreal! I'd rather have a bunch of average skins then one amazing skin that takes half a year to be released.

Or you realized that, by releasing the skin at a lowered cost, you can A) get people who wouldn't buy RP to buy RP in order to get the skin, B) create a sense of urgency (get the skin before it raises in price!) or C) make people feel like they're getting a deal by getting a skin at a lowered price.

And I severely doubt that every single Pulsefire Ez skin bought in that period made you lose money.
It didn't. All I'm saying is that we could have gotten every advantage of your points A) B) and C) by releasing at full price and then discounting later. Plus the added bonus of release sales at full price.

Gareus

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardCrab View Post
Okay I'm not going to keep arguing this point with you guys, because it's not going to get far, but I'm not referring to sales discounts. Sales discounts are great. That's what that article says and it's the truth. I'm talking about discounts on product release. It's a terrible pricing strategy for profit across the board. I'm not saying a lower overall price point for one product or another isn't better. I'm not saying that discounts aren't good ways to make profit because they are. I'm saying that discounting a product on release will lose you money compared to releasing at full price and then discounting. Basic demand curves show this. And this is what we do.
A simplified version of Crab's post, he is basically saying that they are willingly losing profit due to discounting new product during release. Its like if Sony released a console and discounted it for the first week of release. Yes, the discount can drum up some excitement and interest, yet it also comes with the risk of losing profit/not maximizing profit.

Haha same YOLO

02-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldmanj View Post
where you getting your info, and do you actually know riot even has shareholders?
Their OWNERS are shareholders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_Games

Faulty info rite?

vasheenomed

02-18-2014

wizardcrab I think your at your best when you respond to both the best and worst posts XD, you tend to tunnel vision on the negative posts sometimes and get aggrivated just remember there is lots of us who do like riot here and who are perfectly happy to have civil discussions about riot so make sure you don't get aggrivated not saying you are... just careful

Zero Point Sigma

02-18-2014

You know, in this case, I kinda feel bad for the Crab. You have several GDers that want him to chump out numbers and all kinds of accounting info, as well as get into a detailed economics debate... but I've seen ledgers, as well as Economics Theories and to be honest, I don't want to see all that **** and watch a couple of people try to nitpick it back and forth.

Soarent

02-18-2014

Riot I tried and do this thread as nicely I could please tell me if this is ok and I would love a response from not only you but the players.
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...8#post45255758