Why is gold So toxic

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Brand NA

02-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
I guess I'm supposed to say the game or the people, and I do like those things a lot, but it's actually the diversity of problems that comes from dealing with all of the above. I do love though the type of work culture we have, the types of people we hire, and that our mission is aligned to something I find a lot of enjoyment in personally (league of legends, and games in general).
as someone who works as Winnie the Pooh in Disneyland i learn to love everything. keep up the good work

HateDaddy

02-15-2014

I'll say this, from all the elos I've been in (as low as 957 elo s2 and as high as Plat 1 95LP s3), mid-gold-low plat was by far the most toxic group of players I've ever played with. I don't think this is necessarily indicative of the people in this elo range, but in my experience almost all of these games were filled with people who had very negative attitudes and cried about everything.

That said, it is what it is man. The best you can do is be like "yo shut up let's win" and hope your positive re-enforcement helps. When all else fails, spam Duke 3D quotes

heheh what a mess

HollowxIchigo

02-15-2014

Quote:
For entry level in game design, we mostly look for exceptional critical thinking skills, concise, meaningful communication skills, a strong game background (broad games played), and if possible, deep experience in League of Legends.
Can you say that you had a 'deep experience in League of Legends' when you were hired, Zileas?

Naethmor

02-15-2014

Quote:
For entry level in game design, we mostly look for exceptional critical thinking skills, concise, meaningful communication skills, a strong game background (broad games played), and if possible, deep experience in League of Legends.
I am a classical singer, i know i'm 50% qualified.

The Dunkmaster

02-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HateDaddy View Post
I'll say this, from all the elos I've been in (as low as 957 elo s2 and as high as Plat 1 95LP s3), mid-gold-low plat was by far the most toxic group of players I've ever played with. I don't think this is necessarily indicative of the people in this elo range, but in my experience almost all of these games were filled with people who had very negative attitudes and cried about everything.

That said, it is what it is man. The best you can do is be like "yo shut up let's win" and hope your positive re-enforcement helps. When all else fails, spam Duke 3D quotes

heheh what a mess
This guy gets it.

high gold/low plat is an awful place to be in.
It's kind of people are getting good but they let their ego take over and become *******s.

Ebonyjohnson

02-15-2014

Shouldn't Riot employees be a little more professional.

inb4 downvotes

HateDaddy

02-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dunkmaster View Post
This guy gets it.

high gold/low plat is an awful place to be in.
It's kind of people are getting good but they let their ego take over and become *******s.
You know, it could be but at the same time every elo range experiences this. Low Silvers are convinced they're 10x better than high bronze, high silver are convinced they're 10x better than lower silver and while there's certainly a difference in skill, it's not nearly as significant. Either way, I think relative to their lower divisions/elos, everyone believes this. That's why I'm quick to dismiss the notion that this is particularly true and likely more or less just a weird experience for me.

I do believe somewhere in gold, people get the idea that they're in "high elo." And while I'm certainly not d1 70lp, I'm afraid to inform them that they're not. I'm plat II and I don't consider myself high elo. Perhaps there's some truth to what you say in this elo range about them believing they're much better and at a certain thresh-hold where certain mistakes shouldn't happen at this elo range but they do. Perhaps it being more likely to have these circumstances is disappointing and frustrating for several of these players to encounter when they've believed they've "made it out."

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-15-2014
6 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowxIchigo View Post
Can you say that you had a 'deep experience in League of Legends' when you were hired, Zileas?
If only... then I wouldn't have made all the mistakes I did.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-15-2014
7 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonyjohnson View Post
Shouldn't Riot employees be a little more professional.

inb4 downvotes
I refuse to take critique from someone who has the forum handle Ebony Johnson (or Rock Johnson, or Maximillian Hammercauch, or really, any other absurd SN) unless they prove that that is actually their name IRL... In which case I'll respond seriously.

Seething

02-15-2014

1v1 me Zileas.

Pick ya' best champ.