Skarner Rework Follow Through

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skylen7

02-15-2014

I'm happy that we are actually getting some good discussion going about such a under-rated champ. And that considering how much flak RIOT employees catch for not responding on the forums, that @RiotScruffy is continuously showing his face in this thread. So lets hope that this is a re-occuring trend.

Maulkrieg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTreeSpock View Post
What if Skarner's Q were given the Phage treatment? Instead of a perma slow, he gets a small speed boost when he hits an enemy Champion with his Q. It gives Skarner some sticking power without his W, but without the frustrations you get from playing against him.
Scruffy seems way too intent on keeping his current design of Skarner, so we need to adjust that.

IMO:

Q: Stacks last longer

W: No ramp-up; maybe some buffs late game because the heal removal was a huge hit, really.

E: Remove cast time. Lower CD to 10ish seconds and make the slow 40% at all ranks. 40% CDR puts it at 6 seconds, and fitting in 5 autos during the slow would give it a 1 second down-time, allowing the opponent an opportunity to dodge, use an escape, CC Skarner, etc and get away, similar to Olaf or Mundo, but without tenacity or its higher form. Perfect counterplay in Riot's eyes. Keep in mind he still has to stack up Qs, so its difficult to achieve the old 'permaslow' like this and there are plenty of ways out of it, especially before Q stacks, if played well. A lot of people would love the heal, but if Skarner is more reliable, I'd say worth and just buff him if he needs it later on.

R: Actually fix the bug. People are still having problems.

Maulkrieg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylen7 View Post
I'm happy that we are actually getting some good discussion going about such a under-rated champ. And that considering how much flak RIOT employees catch for not responding on the forums, that @RiotScruffy is continuously showing his face in this thread. So lets hope that this is a re-occuring trend.
It will be. Scruffy's a good guy, he just lost focus somewhere. Probably being forced into the Rengar rework at the same time.

Stuckinwell

02-15-2014

First, apologies for not reading all 115 pages beforehand to check if this is a repost.

Beefs:

1. Why did his Q animation stay the same? I will forever associate that blue-ish "splish" animation as an autoslow on anything near me. As a player with >200 Skarner games, it's pretty strongly conditioned to be happy when I hear that. Now it's meaningless. I get 8% atk spd. Whup-dee-doo. I feel that leaving the animation unchanged absolutely ruins the player impression of playing the scorpion.

2. If you're going to ruin his heal, don't ruin the W too. There is little of interest to a Skarner player to hear that the speed increase on his W is **** along with a distinctly missing permaslow and 0 sustain. Keep something for us, please.

Marabooo

02-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Ya I'm hearing this loud and clear. We will be continually updating him until he as useful and powerful as other characters in his role.
I'm having a bit of an identity crisis when playing him. Who are these other characters in his role? Am i an AP tank? A melee mage? An AD bruiser? I havent really figured out what works on him yet.

I am happy that he was reworked. With all these great new champs having so many things in their kits, it was a hard sell to pick him before. Hopefully this tuning will make him fun to play. Im looking forward to seeing what u do to him

On another note, has anyone noticed the similarities between Skarner n Karma? Both passives reduce cooldown on attacks, both have ranged aoe slow skill shots, both have a shield with speed boost..

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

02-15-2014
15 of 29 Riot Posts

I'll put some changes up on PBE next week. Focus will be on increasing the focus and power of CC in his kit/role. Likely they will be tweaks, not new mechanics.

Smited Your Mom

02-15-2014

Scruffy, can you get a Rioter to post about Fiora?

(Sorry to try to derail thread)

Just search Fiora on the forums. There's like 1000's of threads.

Vlaadokash

02-15-2014

Quote:
I'll put some changes up on PBE next week. Focus will be on increasing the focus and power of CC in his kit/role. Likely they will be tweaks, not new mechanics.

Any chance these "not new mechanics" will be the old mechanics everyone has been asking for?

BeelzeBuff

02-15-2014

Quote:
Happy to see that you're making changes, but I feel like keeping his only non-ult tied to his E is a bad idea.

Unless E's CD is drastically lowered or the slow drastically increased, I see no reason to pick Skarner.

Siigari

02-15-2014

Quote:
Hey man, would you be down restoring his slow on Q?

Just wondering.

Also, what is his kit/role in your opinion?