Let's talk about Elise

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmugleafPlaysLoL

02-13-2014

Personally the reasons I play elise:
-Good assassination without having to invest in damage items too much*
-Can virtually always offer something to a team
-Numerous roles she can fill (Can hold her own in the top/mid lane but is awesome in the jungle.)
-Strong ganks (She brings the two things that usually all junglers only have one of, good damage And decent cc. Not to mention she can get into lane rather easily.)
-Not too mana punishing**
-Good at trading aggro for tower diving with rappel
-Good bush checks with her volatile spider.

*Quite frankly in my opinion I think this is the biggest problem with her. A champ with 3500 health being able to do good burst damage (by tanky standards) is a problem. Honestly Reduce her Q's % health to the tune of around 4-6% and perhaps cut the base damage a slight bit.
**Honestly her human forms costs are fine, her spider forms... well in my opinion with an ability as powerful as venomous bite I don't think it should be free.

Quite frankly I think her W and E are fine overall I think it's more or less her powerful assassination capabilities while still being tanky.

Tserraknight

02-13-2014

I pick elise because I like to assassinate from spiderform after locking them up with a cocoon. I think she needs some ranged harass for human form but has too much power in her spiderling especially Fire and forget homing missile that grants vision is pretty damn good, especially with the vision that could come from rappel. I would give her lower damage on her human Q lower the damage on her spiderling significantly and have the speed of the critter slower but make it a very long range, but short, stun. 1 second max. The point being to combo into the cocoon and then execute in spiderform. Elise is a pusher human form and an assassin spider form, I would like to see her moved more into a control mage with low damage, similar to Lissandra, then shift into a low control massive damage melee spider. Take my things for what they're worth lol.

WizzadDeBz

02-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Jag View Post
Hey guys,

Iíd like to seek some of your thoughts on why you like to play Elise. Iím happy to hear thematic reasons, but Iím primarily looking for feedback on what type of gameplay experience you enjoy when playing Elise. Why do you lock her in at champion select? What are the most fun aspects of using her in game? What are some of your favorite high moments in a game while playing Elise? And if you donít like her in your game, why not?
I honestly don't like playing her, her rappel is super hard for me to use, I don't really get the interface for it, possibly because I don't smart cast. Her damage doesn't feel super rewarding with ap although she is a pretty good ap bruiser. Overall, idk her skills are kinda awkward to me, a point and click nuke, a skill shot like blockable delayed detonation nuke thing/as buff in spider form, a damageless skill shot stun/weird rappel that I can't figure out how to use, and then morph thing... I just enjoy other champs' kits more than hers.

DrunkenToolShed

02-13-2014

its basically impossible to contest Baron/Dragon from her with Smite + Spider Qs
Mpen boots + guise and you're chunking tanks and doing 60-80% of a carry's hp.
Rappel + Cocoon then bursting them is incredibly powerful.
Shes a tanky assassin bruiser like Rengar except she can't quite 100-0 anything she sees and shes AP.
Early dragon using her spiderlings is crazy strong and starts your team's snowballing.

She has no downsides
She does everything
She does everything WELL
I know you have to give Lee Sin some competition in tournaments but Elise is intense to say the least.

Fisk

02-13-2014

I have played quite a bit of elise and consider her my main. The reasons I love to play her are (when I can play her rito pls) are she is a fantastic early game assassin with great ganking power but honestly that early game power is just to strong. She ends up with massive burst and incredible assassin power. But late game I feel like its hard to define her. She sorta ends up as this magey-tanky-assassin thingy that really doesn't have a defined role. In my opinion her core values as a champion should be strengthened. Is she a tank? Is she a carry? who knows. I feel like if you solved this it would help with her current overpowered state because she is definitely to strong due to a huge flexibility in building and play styles so you can pretty much build whatever you want and do fine. So TL;DR give her a role and make her stay there. There's no reason for such a powerful and definitive jungler to be able to rampage throughout the game as any role you've decided to build her that game.

Ethereal Light

02-13-2014

Quote:
People are pointing to how sometimes Elise can be a powerful assassin, while at other times she can be a strong frontline tank, or perhaps more of a mage with solid poke. Do any of these roles feel more important than the others? Which one of these playstyles do you feel is the one that most defines her?
I personally enjoy her most as an assassin. Her kit synergies really well with the play style.

Cirno Strongest

02-13-2014

Elise is a weird champion because she has 2 % hp ratios and low ap ratios. This makes her scale well off of mpen/mr reduction, of which there are only 5 items in the game (sorc shoes, liandries, abyssal, wit's end, void staff) with only wit's end being non-viable on her. Of the remaining 4, you only meed sorc shoes and liandries to completely bypass the adc's base MR. This leaves Elise free to build defensive stats, turning her into an unkillable spider doing true damage to squishy targets who is always able to get to them.

Riot Jag

Associate Technical Design

02-13-2014
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Something I'd like to point out here: in regards to how well Elise's maximum health based damage scales into the late game, our data shows Elise's win rate has some of the largest drop-off of any champion as the game goes on in length.

Knight Auditor

02-13-2014

Quote:
People are pointing to how sometimes Elise can be a powerful assassin, while at other times she can be a strong frontline tank, or perhaps more of a mage with solid poke. Do any of these roles feel more important than the others? Which one of these playstyles do you feel is the one that most defines her?
I think Elise's assassin identity fits her far better, thematically speaking. Her lines, her kit, these things scream 'assassin' to me. There is nothing, NOTHING about Elise that says to me she should be tanky, and I've always found her really awkward to use as a mage outside of laning against melee, and that's just preying on a natural advantage that many melee champions struggle to overcome and which required Riot to slap her with some fairly severe nerfs that make it difficult for her to sustain herself in a lane.

The problem is that she has all this free damage, and I think she has it because carry junglers were, for a long time, simply unviable in the jungle, and champion design accounted for that tankier itemisation.

Seasons

02-13-2014

I love playing Elise for her easy start in the jungle. Her Rappel allows fun mechanics that allow epic plays. Even when she falls behind she's a total beast.