Rengar Rework Strikes Back

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wolveronin

02-12-2014

I also wholeheartedly second the notion that Rengar should be able to use bola strike to leap to a jungle camp across a wall. If it granted vision even just momentarily to be able to jump to it, that would completely make up for losing his ferocity stacks when he goes to gank. Are you guys able to code it so that it would reveal only minions so as not to make it too strong (i.e. revealing champions in a bush) then again with it being a skillshot it basically does that as is.

Parapsychology

02-12-2014

@Somohexual

So if it becomes a trinket, what point is it being his passive then? So now Viktor needs a passive rework you're saying? So now Viktor gets a new passive on top of this new "trinket" idea? This really contradicts your sentence when you say, "...but I just don't understand why Rengar needs multiple passives."

Riotscruffy said they want to shy away from adding more mechanics to Rengar, but this whole trinket idea kinda dilutes that message. I think the best way to deal with the BTN is to turn it into his passive. Take out the base damage and put his old passive as a passive of his Q. Then allow Rengar to receive +1 AD passively for each champion slain, like he's getting fulfillment from each trophy. +1 for each kill, losing one stack on each death.

shazb0t

02-12-2014

This isn't a strictly Rengar-related question, but considering the direction you're taking with BTN, this seems like a good time to ask.

I'm a big Item Set tinkerer, but it's really aggravating when I work on builds and I see items in the big list that aren't relevant for what I'm working on. For example, map-specific items showing up when I work on a Summoner's Rift item set, or Bonetooth Necklace showing up when I work on a non-Rengar page. It's already annoying enough to dig through 35+ boot enchantments.

So basically, in the same way that the item list can currently be filtered by the stats they provide, I was wondering if the item list could be auto-filtered when we specify maps and champions that the set is intended for, to cut down on the clutter.

Obviously this is a question for the AIR Client guys, whoever they are. But since you're so active in this thread and this is vaguely-Rengar-related, I was hoping I could bring it to your attention. Thanks for being so open about your development. We love being noticed by Riot-Senpai.

Fried Rengar

02-12-2014

Im someone with literally over 1k rengar games in ranked on my server, how will yuo toplane to bola combo without it hitting what you just jumped to now?

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

02-13-2014
24 of 48 Riot Posts

Hey all, another update on Rengar progress. So far the changes are testing well, but we noticed 2 major things that needed addressing:

-The cooldowns on Q W and E were not matching up well creating a strange pattern for building up ferocity that couldn't really be planned around or mastered
-Rengar has a great time setting himself up for a team fight, finding a backline target and ambusing, but after the fight against his target is over (win or lose) he has no way of getting out or really doing anything meaningful at that point.

So to solve those problems, we're testing 2 new changes, which seem promising:

-Standardize Q W and E cooldowns to 3 12 and 9 at all ranks creating a clear and learn-able combat pattern, the damage per skill level is adjusted to match the new cooldowns
-5 seconds after Rengar unstealths from R he will enter stealth a second time for 3 seconds and be able to leap.

The second change is really interesting: it gives Rengar a fixed window where he is trying to eliminate his target and then can decide if he should run away, try for a second target, or even use his second leap to all in the first target if he failed to kill them initially.

Swyteh

02-13-2014

Loving the ult change! It will be awesome!

ScionOfOrthanc

02-13-2014

@Scruffy
How will the mini-quest upon hitting level 16 with a kha on the enemy team interact with BoTo necklace? Or are you scraping that?

ScionOfOrthanc

02-13-2014

Bump

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

02-13-2014
25 of 48 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionOfOrthanc View Post
@Scruffy
How will the mini-quest upon hitting level 16 with a kha on the enemy team interact with BoTo necklace? Or are you scraping that?
We will definitely keep it!

TrickShady

02-13-2014

Thanks Riot for ruining one of my favorite champions! I see nerf to the stars here. Rengar will become incredibly weak now and nobody will ever play him. I really don't see how any of this rework makes Rengar stronger in any way or keeps him at least as powerful as he is now. Every single reworked ability is a SERIOUS nerf.

Is Rengar really that mega crazy OP right now? You are reworking him as if Rengar is currently the most godly champion in the game and he gets banned/picked 100% of the time.

Riot, please provide a detailed reasoning to why you are changing every ability the way you have described it and why is there a rework at all in first place?