Skarner Rework Follow Through

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KnifeLion

02-12-2014

Well I just lost all faith in the Rengar rework. Awesome.

Ranishe

02-12-2014

My main thought looking at the new skarner is why play him instead of Hecarim (or instead of Shyvana)? Probably for his unique ult, which is immensely fun to use, but is so reliant on your team to actually accomplish anything. He doesn't have the straight up damage and speed of Shyv, and Hecarim more or less just has straight better numbers, plus a sustain ability, plus team cc.

Skarner relies on he and his team catching a single enemy on their own (Kha'Zix could accomplish the same task solo). Most other jungles can simply pounce headfirst into the enemy, and rely on cc and innate tank to keep them alive.

Give his w a much more meaningful speed boost, especially since he can lose his unlike every other speed boost character. Give his empowered Q an attack speed slow in the area. It's not a permaslow, but it makes him staying on top of a champion more threatening without it just being massive damage. Make his impale last .5 seconds longer to give him a little more drag away threat.

Hey, what if enemies hit by fracture could be grabbed by Impale from further away? Say 700 range? Skarner's ult is really his main schtick now, and I think his kit should put more emphasis on that.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

02-12-2014
5 of 29 Riot Posts

Something that seems worth clarifying is that with the rework we wanted to introduce some windows where Skarner's opponent has the opportunity to escape, but we also have increased the power and versatility of Skarner's CC when he does use it. Skarner has a stronger slow that he can apply at range without having to build up on a target, when used correctly this can be a very powerful tool (especially when setting up for an ult in a team fight).

Further increasing the CC/Power spike when Skarner makes his play is probably the area that we would buff him in if we saw that he was undertuned.

MaddMaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2014

can i trade my skarner for a different champ? i dont like playing him anymore. he is boring and depressing to play.

wapster

02-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
but we also have increased the power and versatility of Skarner's CC when he does use it. Skarner has a stronger slow that he can apply at range without having to build up on a target, when used correctly this can be a very powerful tool
Okay, now you're just straight up lying to us.

hashinshin

02-12-2014

Manaaaaa manaaaaaa

reduce his manaaaa costs.

Ranny

02-12-2014

Quote:
Something that seems worth clarifying is that with the rework we wanted to introduce some windows where Skarner's opponent has the opportunity to escape, but we also have increased the power and versatility of Skarner's CC when he does use it. Skarner has a stronger slow that he can apply at range without having to build up on a target, when used correctly this can be a very powerful tool (especially when setting up for an ult in a team fight).

Further increasing the CC/Power spike when Skarner makes his play is probably the area that we would buff him in if we saw that he was undertuned.
The fact that Skarner has to stop to use his E makes him extremely frustrating to play when you compare it to his Q being the ability to slow.
Even if its a ranged slow, the cool down is too long. It costs too much mana, and it is a very slow projectile.
So yeah, he was undertuned.

Oh and you can't use your shield when you are ulting someone, is that intended?

Super Explosion

02-12-2014

Quote:
So like I tend to ask in a lot of these rework threads:

What is it you want Skarner to do?

His opponents tend to have a lot of ability to counter Skarner's actions, many times by effortlessly killing him.

So are you going for an initiator like Hecarim? A sustained fighter like Udyr?

Essentially, what is Skarner supposed to do in the game?

PuIse

02-12-2014

Quote:

Oh but they can and often do get away even with the slow 25% idk how many time's I've been on someone and had mundo cleaver or any other higher percentage slow and walk away fine and dandy. the fact that you fianly fixed his ult isn't a buff it should have been fixed imo long time ago. Then you want to tell me his slow can be usefull tell oh wizard when I'm coming in and slow from a distance and say I do get that slow off were talking pre 6 gank what's to keep them there after the slow disappates and I get there to them with no cc how do I keep them there sweet word's what ?

Masalar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2014

One thing to bear in mind, RiotScruffy, that I think is going unmentioned is that, regardless of his power level relative to the ideal, there are several junglers completely screwing the power curve. Thus any new jungler/reworked jungler is going to be compared to them. And that's, I think, where a lot of this hate is coming from. It's not that Skarner is "weak" necessarily, he just doesn't really hold up in an environment dominated by the like of Pantheon, Vi, and Wukong who offer more reliable early ganks, great level 6 ganks and better team fight presence.

The only thing that allowed Skarner to even have a niche was his slow, and that was only because it was op. I think, if you want to convince people this rework was good, explain why we should pick Skarner over these other, currently more dominant Junglers. What does Skarner offer that is unique and/or powerful enough to justify picking him?