Skarner Rework Follow Through

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prismatic

02-12-2014

I think for the most part that his kit is fine, but his E slow feel's lackluster and unrewarding for such a slow skillshot. I would think his E ability could use a proc effect, similar to pre-rework, but instead of sustain, give more slow on activation. This way, it would allow good Skarner's to prioritize a target with a mark on them, and play well with his new Crystalline shield. If not that, increase the missile speed so that it doesn't feel like you are slinging molasses at the enemy, or increase the width. IMO, the rest of his kit is pretty much perfect, much more reliable and less feed/famine.

Also, is it possible to change skarner's ultimate from a laser beam to him actually "stinging" his enemy, or have his shield change color with skins? Having both sets of skarner skins, it just feels lackluster that the only thing that changes is his base skin, and half the time his blue tinge crystalline shield is up, so really you only get to see half a skin half the time.

Soda4Matt

02-12-2014

and a skin

Black Lister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2014

Typical Scruffy... Doesn't listen when we say "we don't like this rework" and pushes it through anyway. And he's STILL ignoring us.

And I don't mean parts of the rework, I mean the WHOLE rework.

WuteverEU

02-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda4Matt View Post
so ur saying you have a clearer head about skarner because you played him less than other people.
Not playing a champion would certainly help you adapt to the changes, cause... you don't have to adapt. I still can't get used to having no slow on Q, pop W while hitting towers and generally suicide a lot (with the AP build) cause I think I'm still as tanky as before.

Old habits can be a real b*tch.

Daedalus871

02-12-2014

While I didn't play Skarner much prerework and I haven't played too much post rework, he does seem to play much smoother now.

I like the changes to his Q and E for the most part.

However, W now just feels lackluster. I think it would help if he got the MS steroid without the ramp up time. It would give him ganking power, which is good since he needs gold to be effective late game. Late game, it would help him dive the enemy carries more reliably.

Other than that, I think the rework was really good and did what needed to be done.

Soda4Matt

02-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus871 View Post
While I didn't play Skarner much prerework and I haven't played too much post rework, he does seem to play much smoother now.

I like the changes to his Q and E for the most part.

However, W now just feels lackluster. I think it would help if he got the MS steroid without the ramp up time. It would give him ganking power, which is good since he needs gold to be effective late game. Late game, it would help him dive the enemy carries more reliably.

Other than that, I think the rework was really good and did what needed to be done.
GAHHHH you cant say anything if you know nothing about him!!!
bleh

pretty sure i share this annoyance with all skarner players.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

02-12-2014
4 of 29 Riot Posts

I see a lot of concern over his early game power and just power level overall. This is exactly what we are going to address in the follow up patch. We are totally committed to making sure Skarner is viable if he is not.

Soda4Matt

02-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
I see a lot of concern over his early game power and just power level overall. This is exactly what we are going to address in the follow up patch. We are totally committed to making sure Skarner is viable if he is not.
the concern is that now its just easier to play a different champ because there is nothing special about him anymore other than his ult, and who doesnt have a cool ult.

King 0f Throws

02-12-2014

Scruffy, plz keep this potential rework in mind

I have played Skarner since Season 2, and before his rework even though he was not a top tier pick, he was still viable with his amazing early game damage, sticking power, and late game peel and initiation. This rework has proven that riot had no idea what they were doing when they reworked Skarner because they took away what made him unique. Gone is Skarner's amazing aoe peel, and the overall threat of him being in melee range of an enemy (latr sticking power). I propose a rework that makes Skarner the champion he deserves to be, a champion that is an absolute monster once he gets into melee range,while still having counter play in the sense that he can be kited (but not severly)

Base stat changes: the only thing that needs to be changed is his mana/mana per level, as well as his mana regen increase his mana pool to 250 (+ 50 per level)and his mana per 5 to 7 per 5 (+ .7 per level)

Reason for change :This mana buff should fix his early dependancy on blue buff which is a huge problem for Skarner at the moment.

Changes to Crystal Slash (Q): Bring back the pre-rework mechanics to Skarner's Q ( no more attack speed stacks, perma slows for dayz), make the slow 35% at all ranks to help Skarner's early ganking pressure (compared to 20%-40% based on rank). Finally, the scaling should change to 60% total AD scaling (compared to 80% bonus AD scaling)

Reason for change: The old Skarner Q made him unique as a champion, and was the reason why you would not want to face an enemy skarner in melee range. Finally, with the change to the scaling on Crystal Slash, it will do a lot more damage early game because it scales with total AD ,and with Skarner's base ad being 130 at level 18, doing a lot of damage without the need to buy any AD.

Changes to Crystalline Exoskeleton (W): Decrease CD to 14 seconds compared to 16. Bring the attack speed back on the W, however, increase the attack speed to 40%-60% based on rank(compared to 30%-50%), while having the attack speed remain even when the shield is broken.remove the ramp up on the movement speed bonus, changing to a steady 25%-35% movement speed increase based on rank. finally, have the scaling on the sheild changed from 80% AP, to 40 percent bonus armor and Majic resist.

Reason for change: These changes will allow Skarner to not rely on a ramp up time to case/escape, which does not have a satisfying pay off for how much movement speed is given (imagine comparing it to Hecarim/Rammus). having the attack speed without the shield needed will allow Skarner to clear exceptionally well. Finally, the scaling changes make the Shield on Skarner quite terrifying buy building tanky (which is what you should be doing on a champion like Skarner). Having a lot of resistances that also giving a larger virtual health pool is also quite strong, so this might need to be toned down a bit, but the synergy is nice.

Changes to Fracture: CD changed to 10 seconds, decrease the range to 600, with the width of the spell increased significantly (around 250). Make the ability being able to cast while moving. Targets who are hit by Fracture are marked for 6 seconds, and when hit by one of Skarner's attacks/Crystal Slash, stun the target for 1 second. If they are hit again, Skarner is healed for 50-150 health based on rank scaling with 5 percent of his bonus health (is only able to heal twice with each cast of Fracture, with the second proc healing only 50 percent of the base/scaling)

Reason for change: This change allows Skarner to gank quite effectively pre 6 (if he is manages to get in range of the target. Having fracture being able to cast while moving will make it feel a lot better when ganking with it. The potential to land an aoe stun works amazing when playing the role as a peeler (which is my personal play style) the duration is short because it should not be overpowering compared to his ult. finally the sustain portion of the spell stays relevant throughout the game, and gives the help needed for lane Skarner.

Let me know what you guys think (Keep in mind that the numbers are not official)

SNSD Breaker

02-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Viability isn't the whole issue imo, it should be uniqueness + fun