Why the hell do people new to ranked start off with silver level MMR?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mokkun

02-08-2014

Everybody has to start somewhere.

It doesn't matter where they put that starting point, that starting point will end up being the mid point unless you stick everyone starting at 0 and working up, in which case the bottom would be even more stupidly crowded than a normal mid point.

Silver is average and up, and the blind assumption for any given person is that they will be average, thus you start at a silver MMR. Of course, during placements, you play primarily vs other people in placements until around game 7 or 8, so you aren't gumming up the works as badly.

EpicSmurfAccount

02-08-2014

I did the right thing when I started playing ranked. I went 5-5 in my original placement games (s3) got placed in silver 3. I lost ~3 games in a row by which point I realized I wasn't ready for ranked. I let myself decay all the way to Bronze III aware that my MMR would remain intact and came back in the last month of the season. I won every game I played gaining ~32-37 LP per game until I hit Silver III. My MMR coming into Season 4 is now around Gold IV and I've won all my placement games so far.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-08-2014
1 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNsNASmurf View Post
Literally had someone in their first ranked game, pick jungle malphite, go 2/10, and almost single handedly feed the enemy lee and yasuo.

Almost every single thing they did was wrong. ~50 CS at 30 min, never ulted to engage a fight, wandered into fog of war alone, tried to duel enemy carries....

I know this is stuff we all get wrong when we're new, but the average player at my level is streets ahead (comparatively), so why burden us with this junk?
That's frustrating... There will be inaccuracy with someone totally new to ranked for sure (though -- this is rare), and this sort of thing is possible. How many games played are you this season including promos thus far?

Pudii Pudii

02-08-2014

It's reasons like these that I am grateful that Riot was more harsh on placement matches for this season. If you can imagine a new player being Silver 2/3/4 playing poorly, it's three times as worse if they somehow manage to be placed in Gold.

Not only are they playing poorly and single handedly losing game, but they will continue this trend for a LONG time before they reach the appropriate skill level. Instead of falling from Silver 4 into Bronze now you they have to transverse from Gold to Silver to Bronze.

I'm currently Gold 4 and every so often we run into those "lucky" few newcomers that managed to go 10-0 or 9-1 in placements and get placed ridiculously high. On one hand I want to hate them for ruining a game for 4 other people but on the other hand, I feel they will be pained much more than me and you. We only have to go through the hardship of losing badly once with them, whereas it happens to them countless times before they either reach their intended ELO or simply give up ranked all together.

LVNsNASmurf

02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
That's frustrating... There will be inaccuracy with someone totally new to ranked for sure (though -- this is rare), and this sort of thing is possible. How many games played are you this season including promos thus far?
60 ranked season 4 games.

I had somewhere around ~1200 S3 ranked games, including a couple of visits to B5, then got to S5 just after rewards were handed out but before the reset. After the 10 placement games I was in S5, and have climbed to S4 so far.

I'm not worried about my own skill level, I'm worried that people new to ranked are started off with allies and opponents that are significantly better players. That way, they become an anchor to their team.

If someone plays their first ranked game, maybe adjust the system to match them up with / against lower MMR players than current?

If you want to look my real account up, its LeVentNoir on OCE.

Cyndication

02-08-2014

exactly what the **** is this. my current game right now.

http://prntscr.com/2qv1js

so i got 2 new kids with under 20 games while the other team all has like 100+ games played

and this is the result all without even being ganked.

http://prntscr.com/2qv17l

LVNsNASmurf

02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudii Pudii View Post
---
Dude, you don't quite get me. Their first placement game put them vs Silver 4/5s any they just completely failed to be a worthy player. I'm ok with people having slightly easier first placements if it means it's more likely going to put them with appropriately skilled players.

Cyndication

02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
not rare at all, just happened to me

So I que up
so what im going into:

http://prntscr.com/2qv1js

So i have 2 players with major roles who have played under 20 games this season and one was unranked last season

The expected result:

http://prntscr.com/2qv17l

http://prntscr.com/2qv4en

It is a team game and i am sure everyone agrees with that. One person is crucial, how many 4vs5's have you won? Very few i imagine. A 2nd person that is garbage and braindead, it's like the game is setting you up for failure. I get my blue buff, go to their red buff, steal it from their jungler and oh my top dies and my bot dies. Like honestly, this is worse than the normal games I play.

So my question is how is this fair at all. What did their jax do to deserve that win? His quo partner (Fizz) lost his lane and Jax didn't get any good ganks, his 2 other lanes won largely and thus he won the game. So that means If i was on their team, I would have got a free win but I ended up on the wrong side. What is responsible for this? This que system. So basically I lost elo, mmr and LP as a result of this bull****. I get out of bronze and this is what I am greeted with. In its current state, this game is ridiculous.

And no, after my team was 0 and like 10 five minutes in, I gave up, so don't go flaming my cs or anything.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-08-2014
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
60 ranked season 4 games.

I had somewhere around ~1200 S3 ranked games, including a couple of visits to B5, then got to S5 just after rewards were handed out but before the reset. After the 10 placement games I was in S5, and have climbed to S4 so far.

I'm not worried about my own skill level, I'm worried that people new to ranked are started off with allies and opponents that are significantly better players. That way, they become an anchor to their team.

If someone plays their first ranked game, maybe adjust the system to match them up with / against lower MMR players than current?

If you want to look my real account up, its LeVentNoir on OCE.
Interesting. I will pass on. Thanks.

Pudii Pudii

02-08-2014

Quote:
Dude, you don't quite get me. Their first placement game put them vs Silver 4/5s any they just completely failed to be a worthy player. I'm ok with people having slightly easier first placements if it means it's more likely going to put them with appropriately skilled players.
No I really do get you. You don't learn anything in your placement matches so regardless if it's a newcomers 1st placement (Silver 4/5) or the 10th (Silver5 - Gold1) it makes no difference. If we were allowed to I'd link you the lolking of a guy on my team from one of my games earlier this week.

He called top and locked in Sion top because that was the only champ he said he knew how to play. After going 0/6/0 within the first 5 minutes of the game he proceed to run mid and demand that our mid switches to top because he can't handle 6/0/0 Kha'zix. He then proceeds to IMMEDIATELY die 10 seconds after walking into mid lane. He ends the game 0/15/0 only because he decided to AFK, did I meantion his first item was a Guardian Angel?

I thought he might have been trolling but low and behold, I checked him out and he only had played 13 ranked games ever, he had negative scores in every single game he won and he only played Sion every single time. In my eyes, he is worthless as player and riot's system has failed to appropriately place him just as you don't want newcomers being placed in your Silver 4 matches.