Rengar Rework Strikes Back

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

King Of Suede

02-07-2014

I saw the 4 ferocity coming with the way this rework was headed.
But at the current moment, if a Rengar stays in a fight for more than 3 seconds, what normally happens? He gets melted because he's in the middle of everyone on top of a high priority target. If he can't take them out in the first second or two, he's guaranteed dead. His burst was similar to that of an APC like Kassadin, LB, or Akali in that they get in real quick, do a bunch of damage and back out and wait for their cooldowns. The only difference is that Rengar is essentially resourceless.

But moving him to a knife-cat Q spamming machine, you've probably just doomed him to be a trye-like turret pusher who gets an endless AS boost and a stealth + MS boost ult to back away, or push a turret to ult out of top lane to mid for a team fight.

The bola is still an area of contention too.
But I propose two options (though the first probably won't fly because you already said you dont want to give him a slow+jump or add more burden-of-knowledge intricate mechanics):
-Make it like an Olaf Axe in that if you hit a target, they are slowed and rengar can jump to them within the next 1.75 seconds or something like that. If Rengar jumps to his target or the bola kills them, the cooldown on E is shortened (like he's retrieving it from his prey). If he doesn't jump, the cooldown stays the same, but give it a long cooldown (thusly punishing him for spamming an ability and not using it wisely and making it harder for him to build max ferocity in the fight)

-Just grant him vision of the target while they are slowed. As said before, this would enable more jungling paths (Jumping into blue, to wraiths, red, and golems) and make him the true king of the jungle as you wished him to be when you gave him that specific kit-defining passive in the first place. It would also let you make better use of his passive when ganking through lane brushes (instead of losing targets through the brushes top or bot, you could use a well placed E and jump to the target).

As much as I would like getting a free jump outside of brush, the 2nd option doesn't seem that out of line.

Zhané

02-08-2014

With the way things are being changed on him, I feel as Rengar top will not be viable any longer. I have some concerns about making it so his ult no longer grants him ferocity. Why is that being changed and what good is his ult after you do that? It would make him stealth and get no bonus from it because the movement speed was already stripped from his ult. With no ferocity gain his ult will feel useless and he will no longer be able to do his job as it was said when he first came out. "To hunt down and take out high priority targets."

It would be nice however if there were a way to get a free jump outside of a bush considering ranged is a huge weakness to him and if there is no bush then he has no gap closer, without ulting that is.

I don't know if you will be able to answer this question but I thought I would give it a shot. How close to finishing the rework on rengar are you guys?

navite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
That may be a feasible solution, but I think there is a lot of value to not overloading Rengar with too many mechanics (he already has a lot as is).
mechanics are good. hes complicated. makes it so you'll need more skill to use him so you can't just press R and pick a dead guy

Radosmoi

02-08-2014

What if we made Rengars W dodge a certain amount of auto attacks/ damage.
Like this Rengar won't be melted that easily >>and could allow more plays .

arwingflyer98

02-08-2014

Quote:
Ok Rengars, big awesome update:

So far the direction of starting a fight with 0 ferocity but building up reliably to a finisher is working out, but with the current design we haven't really committed to it 100% and allowed Rengar to have a really reliable and contained way to get to full stacks. So here's the new hotness that we are trying out.
(anything not mentioned is the same as the previous changes)

-Rengar's max ferocity is lowered to 4 from 5
-Q cooldown lowered dramatically to 4/3.75/3.5/3.25/3s
-Q attack speed buff lowered to 15/20/25/30/35%
-Ferocity Q grants 2 ferocity after use instead of 3
-Also trinket cooldown is lowered so that he can have 2 traps in the world at a time

The real linchpin of this new rotation is Q. With Q on a 3 second cooldown he can come in to a fight with 0 ferocity Q->W->E->3s cooldown->Q and hit the new max stacks of 4 for a finisher.

These numbers aren't final but what we have the potential to do here is really understand and balance the buildup to finisher rotation. I'll let you know how this works out in testing (crosses fingers).

-Scruffy
I'm starting to like these changes listed here, but if it is indeed possible to play assassin Rengar after this rework, what gapcloser/escape will he get?

NA Darklarik

02-08-2014

Quote:
That may be a feasible solution, but I think there is a lot of value to not overloading Rengar with too many mechanics (he already has a lot as is).
Dont think like that. Lots of mechanics allow for things like this to happen

Gsbhangal123

02-08-2014

Riot Scruffy I am going to be maining Rengar a long time and I wanted to know when this rework will be released?? I know that most rengar players are wondering the same thing. Reply fast RiotScruffy

MercsGuardian

02-08-2014

...Ok, the new passive has made it so that Rengar is going to have to jungle because the lane rengar's usually hold the full ferocity bar or use is immediately to heal. Jungle Rengar just uses it as bonus damage or as an immediate heal.

WishStro

02-08-2014

Quote:
Even with the changes Rengar's teamfight role is still all about finding squishy targets that are separated from their team and blowing them up. With the changes we want to allow the opponent a (very short) window in which they can react to Rengar leaping out of stealth onto them.

PS - The leap on to target after E idea is really cool and it sounds like a lot of fun. To make that happen, we would probably have to remove the slow from E, which would really hurt his utility.
If his E is going to be changed to a skillshot then why would you have to remove the slow mechanic? What's the difference if rengar Bola's someone from bush then leaps from them? You guys are making it too complicated and over think things when you have 'x' amount of things on live servers that need to be fixed.

YoungManhatten

02-08-2014

SCRUFFY READ DIS, so i know this isn't your department but i figured you might know since you've been working with him so much. can we expect another rengar skin before summer 2014?