Yasuo - Look at the numbers!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Maximum Remilia

02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetual View Post
Indeed it is a small sample size, but one would assume that champions are being used to their full potential at that level, making that sample uniquely important.
at such a small sample size, the percentages are much more skewed than that of diamond or other groupings

so basically, you can't even compare it to diamond, plat, gold, silver, or bronze because their sample size is so much drastically lower.

Poppy occasionally has 100% winrates in challenger because only one person decided to play them once and won.

posting above zileas-senpai but he'll never notice me

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-08-2014
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I looked at some more recent internal data and didn't see much elo variance, but I agree that the pubstomper thesis should make sense on a champion with a strong late-game power curve like Yasuo.

Anyway, the core gameplay team is continuing to watch this very closely, as they do with any recent champion, and will make adjustments to his profile or power level as needed moving forward.

I personally do not have an opinion on this one, just wanted to share those two pieces.

Impetual

02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frijoles2012 View Post
You have to keep things balanced at other levels of play beyond challenger. Challenger occupies less than 1% of the community. and with around a 60% win rate in divisions where 99% of the community are, thats somewhat alarming.
I could be wrong, but I think his skewed winrate at lower levels of play derive from players not knowing how to deal with him. They ban him and lose to him more often, because they have not learned how to deal with him yet, despite him having many counters.

Impetual

02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Remilia View Post
at such a small sample size, the percentages are much more skewed than that of diamond or other groupings

so basically, you can't even compare it to diamond
I listed his diamond winrate. 51.32% - with his challenger winrate being 43.75%.

Pretty balanced, if not a bit weak, in high level play at least.

Super Explosion

02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
but I agree that the pubstomper thesis should make sense on a champion with a strong late-game power curve like Yasuo.
As I mentioned in a post on the other Yasuo thread, I believe you may tend to call these champions "feast or famine".

It's potentially a byproduct of pushing what you have termed "melee carries" into actually being Assassins who operate on quickly bursting squishies to maintain their lead.

Which of course happened because if they can't do that, then Marksmen will tend to quickly kill them instead.

Don't you find it troubling to include an ability like Wind Wall which can block ultimates, and certain skills but not others? Something which while not much helping his melee nature (he usually has to move past it to catch kiters), does perhaps create a significant annoyance for mages and the like.

Ostensibly, you could perhaps just put Black King Bar in the game rather than this ability, complete with its cooldown based counterplay.

Shinjusuke

02-08-2014

@Zileas, sorry to go off-topic, but since you're not usually on when I am I have to seize the opportunity.

I wanted to break into the game design industry by joining Riot, I'll be finished with my degree in 2 years.

Was thinking about going through the internship program, and looking at the things you guys said led to accepted applicants, one of them is "having content you created added to the game".

I was going to make a series of forum posts of champion ideas, item ideas, QoL changes, etc, all with numbers and fleshed out info, and then post a single post linking to all of them somewhere.

DOes that sound like a good way to do it, or...?

Impetual

02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Don't you find it troubling to include an ability like Wind Wall which can block ultimates, and certain skills but not others?
I find it makes the game more interesting. If you are vs a Yasuo, you need to plan around wind wall. It has a longish cool down and requires decent reaction time to use effectively. As an opposing player, you know it's there, and you have a pretty good idea of when it can be used. It's predictable.

Dryad Soraka

02-08-2014

but he is overpowered lol

nGio

02-08-2014

The OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of players are in Bronze and Silver. Yasuo isn't OP because he has a lower win % in Challenger? Who cares? What .00001% of the community is doing has no effect on any of us.

Drogmyre

02-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nGio View Post
The OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of players are in Bronze and Silver. Yasuo isn't OP because he has a lower win % in Challenger? Who cares? What .00001% of the community is doing has no effect on any of us.
the .0001% are the people you see on LCS, btw. That's why challenger balance matters as much as bronze balance. Riot doesn't just want the LCS to be public, they want to show everyone how amazing LoL is. If a champion is facerolling in the LCS, Riot notices big time, because it's boring to see the same 3 champs every game.

You also have to realize that most of the stuff on GD is looked at to an extent, but it's usually dismissed because people in GD have pretty retarded ideas most of the time. 'Nerf XYZ' when XYZ isn't even remotely overpowered or problematic, and has tons of counterplay is an example.

So people are complaning about Yasuo and Kassadin. Kass is being looked at, Riot doesn't like how he works right now. Yasuo needs some tweaking, he doesn't need to be dumpstered. How much tweaking is TBD, because riot's balance team isn't looking to throw darts at random changes and whatever sticks is implemented.