Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

02-06-2014
61 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAteMyVegetables View Post

Pretty nice changes that you guys are working on.

Just wanted to make a note to clarify. I haven't said that we are (or are not) working on these changes. I am just gathering and condensing feedback.

Also, I will follow up on the brush. I was just hoping someone would do me a solid and grab a shot of the issue. I will look into it either way.

XxJohnnyOxX

02-06-2014

I think that the river should be updated, will it be possible?

Sophitia

02-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Could you post a screenshot. There is an outside chance that this was deliberate... having a brush that is too big to ward at least.
I screenshotted it, and I'll upload when I get back from class. It's fairly easy to reproduce though. It normally occurs when you place a ward too close to the wall, or too close to the far end of the bush. I've actually placed wards in the brush before and then had characters literally disappear in the brush while the fog of war should have been revealed. I think the best solution would be to have ALL of the bush revealed if there's a ward in any part of it. That was the purpose of trimming the bushes in the first place, wasn't it?

RiotForScience

02-06-2014
62 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophitia View Post
I screenshotted it, and I'll upload when I get back from class. It's fairly easy to reproduce though. It normally occurs when you place a ward too close to the wall, or too close to the far end of the bush. I've actually placed wards in the brush before and then had characters literally disappear in the brush while the fog of war should have been revealed. I think the best solution would be to have ALL of the bush revealed if there's a ward in any part of it. That was the purpose of trimming the bushes in the first place, wasn't it?

I think that was one of the biggest reasons. Thanks for the help.

Sophitia

02-06-2014

Quote:
I think that was one of the biggest reasons. Thanks for the help.
I couldn't reproduce the first glitch I was talking about, because I'd need a second person to test with. But basically you place the ward in a bot lane bush (like the one in the screen cap below) next to the side of the wall. Basically as close to the side as you can get it, and then sometimes if a champion walks into the bush, they disappear into the fog of war as if the bush isn't warded. I'll see if I can get someone to help me reproduce it for you to see.

Edit: I found an example of what I'm talking about in another bush. Normally I see the problem bot lane, but I guess it can happen in other bushes too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyKfX-tq1aA

In the below screen cap I placed the ward toward the far end of the bush. The area of the bush not being revealed is the far end of the bush toward blue side (could this be because the ward vision just isn't extending that far?)
http://oi58.tinypic.com/160aro5.jpg

Sorry if it's kind of hard to see, I'm using a map skin =p

Let me know if I can help ^^

iAteMyVegetables

02-06-2014

Quote:
Just wanted to make a note to clarify. I haven't said that we are (or are not) working on these changes. I am just gathering and condensing feedback.

Also, I will follow up on the brush. I was just hoping someone would do me a solid and grab a shot of the issue. I will look into it either way.
Aww ok, sad Q_Q.

RiotForScience

02-06-2014
63 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAteMyVegetables View Post
Aww ok, sad Q_Q.

No reason to be sad... I just have a long standing policy of being as vague as possible. (or not)

Corvic Maractis

02-06-2014

not to post something off topic but RiotForScience could you speak with the people in charge of in game events and see if there is any plans for URF Day this year? As last year their wasnt really anything but CHEW and it only lasted a few weeks at best.

Master Anubis

02-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faren22 View Post
I don't like copy-pasting, so I'll just summarize my ideas here.

Since League's indestructible terrain is kind of a big deal, it would make sense that it needs a clean boundary between the terrain and the paths, but it wouldn't hurt to make the edges a bit less clean. Cosmetic saplings, short patches of grass near the tall stuff, etc. Hence the theme "nature vs. Summoners," as the forest attempts to reclaim the Summoner's battleground.

- Have the lanes be dirt/gravel logging roads. Minion travel routes would be marked by especially packed earth/gravel, or a rut in the landscape.
- Have the river flow underneath mid lane through grates or a culvert so that it actually feels more like a river.
- All minions need complete overhaul
- Different themes for each section of jungle/lane? One side is a pine forest, the other is deciduous? Possibly different seasons
- Might be a bit much, but SFX for walking through grass/water would be awesome. Might be difficult for champs like Zac or Cassio but it would still sound pretty neato
old time season 1 league player and i would love this idea thumbs up

RiotForScience

02-07-2014
64 of 97 Riot Posts

Ok, time for another installment of "Condensing feedback". All of this feedback originated right here on this thread. Items without asterix are thing that sound great, things with asterix are great ideas that need some explanation from me.

31. The Nexus needs to be updated
32. The Terrain feels too flat ***
33. Reposition the minion camps***
34. Add weather ***
35. Make the base look better
36. Higher tech deep water for the River
37. SR needs to be symmetrical
38. The map should feel war-torn
39. We need to avoid Visual and Audio clutter
40. The 2 sides need to be visually distinct Arcitecture as well as gamplay objects like towers
41. The 8-eyed wraiths seem really weird
42. Red Buff Spikes feel unnatural
43. Baron needs a VU
44. Flat flowers all over the map does not make sense
45. Make colorblind mode the default method of play

The Terrain feels too flat *** It totally does, but terrain elevation is something that will heavily impact gameplay. From a visual standpoint there is a lot we can do in the non-play space to give a better feeling of depth. Also the peripheries of the map have a lot of untapped potential for epic drops, mountains, and vistas. I think TT and HA have really good examples of what we can do in this regard.

Re-position the minion camps*** We actually did this a little prior to the 2014 season, so this is something that we would consider. I think camp positions are in a good state right now. If there are still concerns I would love to here what they are.

Add weather ***. Sure, but we need to do this very carefully because keeping the play-space clean and readable is one of our highest priorities. If you think about how snow is used in HA, it will need to be similar in any future application of weather effects.