Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

02-04-2014
60 of 97 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
If it's deliberate, why not have a visual denoting such? Moreover, why is it inconsistent? Given that, I can only assume that it's a bug, like many similar issues that have been around for years. As for a screenshot, currently busy watching a Project M tournament, might work on one after.
Well like I said I don't know one way or the other. But I definitely need a bit more context to track it down, whenever you can get to it.

exec3

02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
Wards placed in the bot lane brush often either fail to reveal enemies in the brush or reveal only after a delay, likely movement related. Specifically, a ward placed near one end of a given bush might not reveal the other end of that bush, or only do so when the enemy moves out of certain areas.
I believe this is not intended but new tech needs to be implemented to get the whole brush to be visible.

For those who don't know basically in bot lane brush if you place a ward at one end of the brush the other end will still be in fog of war. I think simply the brush extends further than the ward reveals even though the intended interaction is that a ward in a brush reveals the entire brush.

RiotForScience a couple of your comments imply you want to make some visual improvements to SR that you can't yet for tech reasons, does this mean you want to revisit SR again one day to implement some of these other features? If so would these be small incremental updates or a sort of big SR 2.1 update?

Also with all the map feature creep are there any plans on working on the other maps to bring in some new features to them? eg: TT doesn't have destructible environments, destructible turrets, moving brush etc in it.

ExaltedVanguard

02-04-2014

I'd love to see subtle clues on the ground around turrets to indicate their range. Something like a "fairy ring" of mushrooms or stones in the grass. This would help new and old players alike without having all the visual noise of bot-game turret indicators.

Also, on the topic of vision, can we please fix rengar phasing in and out of existence while literally next to you in a bush? That bug is so frustrating.

Void2258

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2014

Could you make the edges of the brush more visually clear? Ever since you guys put in the new brush, the edges have been hard to pin down (the old brush was clearer). It is now possible for it to visually look like your cursor is in brush but not actually count as being in brush. The only way to effectively work with it now is to watch the cursor color change like a hawk. It makes quick warding and stealth maneuvers annoying as hell.

RemusNeo

02-05-2014

And not to be mean but how much time(estimated) until we can expect the visual upgrade for Summoner's Rift?

iAteMyVegetables

02-05-2014

Sorry if I come off as rude, but why don't you test the brush thing yourself? It's very hard I believe for us to show a screenshot of the problem 'cause we can ward the bush sure and let a friend walk in it, but if we don't see the enemy on the screenshot it can just mean noone is really in there xD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
I am going to try to talk our audio guys into visiting this thread to solicit feedback

Moving forward with condensing feedback here is the next block of issues. Again points without asterix are basic great ideas. Ones with asterix are things that I need to give some clarity on.

16. The minions need a VU
17. We should flip the golem camp so that they face the other direction***
18. More destructible content like HA
19. Make SR look like the beta-site background Illustration***
20. Make brush move dynamically
21. Add damage states to the turrets
22. More variety in tree types
23. There needs to be a clear (but not clean) boundary between terrain and path
24. The River needs to make more sense
25. The different sections of the map need slightly different themes
26. There needs to be SFX for walking through grass or water ***
27. The terrain could get more worn as the game progresses ***
28. The houses feel really unnatural in the forest, the statues donít make much sense
29. Summonerís Rift needs to actually feel like a Rift
30. Trees should wobble when you shoot a skillshot through them ***

Concerning the idea of flipping golem camp. Stone Bros serve a function of allowing additional farm when your lane is pushed. However, due to the meta this gives a distinct advantage to duo-bot lanes. Part of the reason why we added the Wight-camp is to mitigate this concern. Hopefully we solved the problem, but not in the way you were expecting.

Concerning the forum background illustration. I have written about this quite a lot. This image was created without the context of gameplay concerns so is not the best basis for a hypothetical new iteration of the map. It is crucial that all of our content be very readable and clear. This image is beautiful, but does not do what we need.

"there needs to be SFX for walking through grass or water" Yes, absolutely... eventually... I read on the forums about how players can get frustrated by how long it takes us to add pretty simple tech to our game. The simple answer is that there is a "Tech-debt" backlog that needs to get cleared before we have the capacity to add new features. This one is a no-brainer and will be a very high-priority... when we can get to it.

"The terrain could get more worn as the game progresses" A cool idea, I love how it would help create an evolving game narrative. However, it also has gameplay interaction that would need to be thoroughly tested. Also, we have some optimization tech that might make it really difficult to do that.

Trees should wobble when you shoot a skillshot through them" This is obviously a lower priority than having really awesome looking trees to start with, but I could see this as being a fun thing to do. You would still have the same suspension of disbelief issue when a skillshot penetrates a non-tree object like a rock or building though.
Pretty nice changes that you guys are working on. I have a question though. Awhile ago I believe Morello mentioned there won't be a winter map for awhile 'cause it would result in problems with vision, 'cause the old winter map was so light. But why don't you guys make a winter map for SR where it's night with a winter feel to it on the textures? That way it won't be too light 'cause of the white textures since the map itself is night time, but there is atleast two different choices for the most popular map of LoL. But definitely liking the changes you guys are/wanna work(ing) on.

MajorMajora

02-05-2014

Just a quick idea of how to update SR visually, kind of an overhaul. The map's mechanics would be the same but I think it would be more visually pleasing.

Essentially, the middle of the top lane would appear to be the highest part of the map and the middle of the bottom lane would appear to be the lowest part. The river would flow from top to bottom and the middle lane would have some sort of stone bridge in the middle that goes over the river. Maybe the bottom lane could even have some small streams go through the middle of it after breaking off of the river.

This would let you have the different parts of the map really feel different even though gameplay-wise certain parts of the map are identical. The top lane could be sort of a mountainous area, the midlane could be more forested, and the bottom could be kind of like a plain, sort of like in this video at 0:50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY1vLEk8B9c

This would give more of an adventurous and dynamic feel to the rotations people go through in the game, right now moving from one place to the next has no visual impact, which can be fixed. As you go away from the lane you start in and go into the late game, journeying through new terrain, the game will feel more exciting. Right now every part of the map feels the same.

I understand this would take a while to do, but I think that when you do a visual overhaul this would be a good way of going about it.

iAteMyVegetables

02-05-2014

Hmm I like that idea of every lane having a different look.

Apollinarius

02-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
Could you post a screenshot. There is an outside chance that this was deliberate... having a brush that is too big to ward at least.
Unfortunately, I don't have screenshots because these things happen usually in ranked games and I'm too busy doing other things to remember to screenshot

The problem boils down to a ward being in a bush not providing vision of the whole bush even though the vision range of the ward would extend beyond the range of the bush. I've noticed this the most in botlane area, with the blue side tri-bush and the lane bush closer to blue outer turret. There seem to be blind spots in both bushes, where a champion is walking through the bush, becomes invisible for a second, and then reappears. For normal warding purposes this isn't an issue because the blind areas are small enough that you'll never be able to hide inside them, but they are really upsetting in a high pressure combat situation where you suddenly stop autoattacking or your single target spell doesn't fire because the opponent disappeared from vision.

It is also why the issue is really hard to reproduce in a reliable way for us to be able to screenshot it for you. If I was to hazard a guess as to why this was happening, it would be because terrain curvatures have strange vision and fog of war blocking, similar to how wards couldn't see properly into dragon/baron pit from the entrance. The tree at the tip of the botlane tribush closest to blue base seems to fog out part of the bush, and the curve of the edge of the map creates a shadow in some area of the lane bush.

If I was to offer a suggestion, give bushes a special treatment that the bush and all area immediately around the bush are considered perfectly flat for vision purposes. We've all watched LCS games where a pink ward in a bush would not reveal a green ward a tiny distance from it because of this bush blind spot situation.

PhrozenDragon

02-05-2014

As long as there is a map quality option for people with trashy computers like me.

I'm happy with these changes.